Can-Am ATV Forum

Tire/Wheel Advice for Outlander

This is a discussion on Tire/Wheel Advice for Outlander within the ATV Tires and Wheels forums, part of the Can-Am Tech Area category; I have searched the forum a bit but didn't find the specific information I was looking for. I just purchased a 2013 Outlander Max LTD. ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am Tech Area > ATV Tires and Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #29477
View pattersj's Photo Gallery(0)
Tire/Wheel Advice for Outlander

I have searched the forum a bit but didn't find the specific information I was looking for.

I just purchased a 2013 Outlander Max LTD. This is the 1000 with a Gen 2 frame.

I had a 2009 Max G1 and I put Bighorn 2.0s on it as the stock tires wore out quick. I had the 26x9x12 (front) and 26x11x12 (rear) on the old 2009 Max and the only thing i needed to make that work was a few washers on the front wheels.

Getting back to now. I already got a puncture on the stock tires my first time out with the new bike. That coupled with the fact that I would like to go to 28" tires with 14" wheels and I am ready to make the move now.

One other thing. My new LTD has the extra fender flares on them and I must say I like not getting as muddy. I mention this because i think it may factor into the new tire size.

I'd like to go to 14" wheels with 28" tires on the new bike but i want to make sure i get something that will work without any other modifications (spacers, clutch kits, etc). I don't know the spacing of the stock wheels and can't find that info anywhere. By that i mean the portion of the wheel towards the inside of the wheel versus the outside. I am sure there is a more technical way to describe this but i am far from an expert. I just know that i need to factor this in when selecting new wheels and the fact that i don't really want the tires sticking way out past the fender flares and throwing up a ton of mud on us.

We ride mostly woods trails with rocks, roots, etc. I want to be able to go through some mud when i need to but we don't enter the mud bog races. With that said, i really like the Bighorn 2.0 tires on the last bike but I am open to suggestions. I had those on the stock rims but now i want to got to 14" rims and 28" tires.

I am looking for educated advice on what will work for me. Please be specific enough so i can check out the products. I am especially in need of information on the wheels and what size will work and not need mods to the bike or make the tires stick out too far so they throw mud.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Member #29267
View thomaslord84's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Tire/Wheel Advice for Outlander

The technical term that you are looking for is offset. Most aftermarket wheels have the same offset. Aftermarket wheels will make your tires stick out further than stock. I think there is only one wheel that you can choose an offset and I believe that it is the M12.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
2013 Outty 1000XTP, 29.5 OL2 wides, HD3 machined wheels, CVTech primary, Maverick belt, snorkels by me, RDC rad relocate, RJWC slip-on duals, ceramic coated exhaust, Offroad Sound Systems dual tube for rad relocate, fan controller, Richochet skids, & 2" wheel spacers.

In the future STM secondary and 4" lift.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Member #29477
I am looking hard at the ITP SS312's 14" with the Bighorn 2.0s. 28x9x14 on the front and 28x11x14 on the back. Anyone have feedback on how this will work out for me based on my earlier post?

How much more ground clearance will this give me? Should be about an inch or so correct? Since i am increasing both the wheel and the tire I assume the ratio stays the same so I won't have an issue with pinched sidewalls or deteriorating ride quality that some folks complain about when going to bigger wheels. I just don't want anything to rub. I don't think I will notice the weight or anything as the 1000cc motor is more than i use anyway.

I am not sure what the offset on the wheels should be or what size would fit best. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Member #28306
View Poseidon's Photo Gallery(0)
Easy way to tell the offset is to measure from the outside edge of the wheel (where the bead of the tire meets the wheel) to where the wheel sits against the hub, You may need to lay a straight edge against the wheel, but for the most part you can eyeball it) then measure the same way from the inside edge to the hub. The two measurements should equal the total width of your wheels. For example, most 7 inch wide wheels will be a 5+2 or a 4+3 offset. Most aftermarket wheels have different available offsets just as they have different available bolt patterns for the different manufacturers. You can use this info to gauge where the tire and wheel will sit if it is another inch in or out on the offset.

Keep in mind, how narrow or wide you go with the wheel will also affect the height and width of the tire once it is mounted. Wider wheel = straighter sidewalls and a taller tire. Narrower wheels = rounded out sidewalls and a shorter tire. (When comparing the same size tire on narrow and wide wheels)

2013 Can Am XMR 1000
4" Catvos with Turner Axles
32" Silverbacks on SS312's
QSC/STM with Maverick Belt
Muzzy Full Dual Exhaust with VFJ Digi-tuner
Max Rear Seat
Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Line
Billet Pistol Grip "Can-Am" Shifter

2013 Grizzly 700
28" Zillas on Black SS212's
JBS Hot Rod Sheave, 16g Weights, and Purple Spring
Warn 2500 Winch
GPSmap 62sc with RAM Mount
Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
Yamaha UHMWPE Glide Plate

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting...
What a Ride!

My YouTube page - Poseidon's Lair
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 AM

Member #3820
View choPppps's Photo Gallery(0)
From your description of your riding style, why do you need the added ground clearance? With 28's you'll need a clutch kit for sure and in reality you'll gain about an inch of clearance. It will also raise your center of gravity so it might feel more tippy.

I'm running 26" Terracross XD's and they have held up well. I basically ride like you with maybe some added rock crawling. These tires measure a true 26" and fit on the stock wheels for me. I have around 1000 km's on the tires now. Some on here don't like the Terracross XD's but I find them awesome. My 2010 Max will hit 131 KMs (81 MPH) with them on pavement, stock clutching.

.. only faster, is fast enough!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Member #29477
I am surprised at your comment regarding the clutch kit. I don't have much experience here but would like more detail if you can. I suppose i just assumed that that beast of a motor could handle the larger tires/wheels.

I was looking for a little more ground clearance becuase I do go through rocky trails and i hate banging up the bike. I didn't think that it woul make it tippy. It is such a heavy bike.

I do appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. I don't want to buy something that won't work or that i will be unhappy with. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Member #25958
View slayer1962's Photo Gallery(0)
offset wheels

I have 27" tires and 1.5 " lift on my Short Outty.
The wider wheels and it feels stable. I did roll mine before I switched tires and wheels to the wider ones. They are tippy with stock tires wheels and lift. Only reason I know is my rims were the wrong ones so I rode with stockers and lift kit bad move! lol
I put a clutch kit in mine when they diod the tires and rims so I cannot give you much insight about stock clutching and bigger tires. Most here say clutch it so I did. Your Max should be more stable than my shortie!
2012 1000 XT 27" outlaw radials hd3 rims, EPI clutch kit, 1.5" billet lift, heated grips, snorkel kit, Can Am rear storage, gas PAC., Dobeck PC5 tuner and auto tuner. Dual Muzzy exhaust! higher bars, richochett skid plates. Wild Boar radiator relocated. Removed billet lift installed Eka Stage 3's , replaced broken heated grips!

work in progress
Old 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM

Member #9303
View Sonic3d's Photo Gallery(8)
I have a set of Bighorns that I bought for my Commander they are the 6 ply ones and all 28/10/14s. I fitted them on my 1000 Max XT-P but took them off the next day as they are far to heavy for it, the ride and steering was terrible so I have now fitted the 4 ply Bighorn2 that they fit on the Commander and Maverick and it rides so nice...
Just remember that big heavy tires will affect how it rides and steers as its all extra un sprung weight. A lot of my riding is on asphalt as higher speeds so it needs to ride and handle nicely
Old 06-10-2013, 04:43 PM

Member #28306
View Poseidon's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by pattersj View Post
I am surprised at your comment regarding the clutch kit. I don't have much experience here but would like more detail if you can. I suppose i just assumed that that beast of a motor could handle the larger tires/wheels.

I was looking for a little more ground clearance becuase I do go through rocky trails and i hate banging up the bike. I didn't think that it woul make it tippy. It is such a heavy bike.

I do appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. I don't want to buy something that won't work or that i will be unhappy with. Thank you.
If your going with a 28" tire, I would say size alone, you shouldn't need a clutch kit, however, if the 28" tires you choose are significantly heavier you will at the very least need to change out your spring to prevent burning up your belt. The spring applies pressure on the sheaves (the sides of the pulley) squeezing the belt. If you don't have enough pressure, the belt slips in the pulley. You may or may not notice a slight loss in bottom end torque (Power on take off). That is what the clutch kit is for. There is also the option of changing out weights. This affects how quickly the bike revs, and the rpms at a given speed. Changing the weights helps keep the engine in its powerband if the larger, heavier tires makes it bog down at all.

As far as being "tippy", I wouldn't worry about it. Go with the look and the ride you like. I mean after all, it's a quad. They are all inherently tippy. Some, however, are worse than others. The higher you make the center of gravity, the more tippy it becomes. A tall side wall on the tire will also amplify it. That said, you will get used to the ride characteristics of your set up pretty quickly and will know its limitations. I ride an XMR with 30" silverbacks on 14" ITP SS312's that came on it stock. It is on the same frame / wheelbase as your bike. I don't feel that it is "tippy" at all, but at the same time, I also wouldn't try to make a 90 degree turn at 50 mph either! Doing a pipe lift or upgrading your suspension will help eliminate it feeling "tippy" also. The pipe lift is simply a spring spacer that slips over your shocks to add preload to the springs. There have been a couple recent threads on here about them if you what to do a search for them.

Sorry if I kept it to basic. I'm not sure how much of this you already know.

2013 Can Am XMR 1000
4" Catvos with Turner Axles
32" Silverbacks on SS312's
QSC/STM with Maverick Belt
Muzzy Full Dual Exhaust with VFJ Digi-tuner
Max Rear Seat
Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Line
Billet Pistol Grip "Can-Am" Shifter

2013 Grizzly 700
28" Zillas on Black SS212's
JBS Hot Rod Sheave, 16g Weights, and Purple Spring
Warn 2500 Winch
GPSmap 62sc with RAM Mount
Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
Yamaha UHMWPE Glide Plate

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting...
What a Ride!

My YouTube page - Poseidon's Lair
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM

Member #3820
View choPppps's Photo Gallery(0)
Going to a 28" tire basically changes the gearing. The CVT will adjust a little but I would think you would notice the change in exceleration. I know that I would. For low end you will burn the belt easier especially with a 1000 as it has lots of torque. You will need to be a lot more careful in high gear to avoid this.

As for tippy, I was think more around off cantor situations.

.. only faster, is fast enough!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am Tech Area > ATV Tires and Wheels

Search tags for this page
2013 canam outlander 500 stock rim bigger tire
buy 2013 can am outlander 1000 14'' wheels
can am 1000 max tire

can am outlander 1000 forum best 14 inch wheel set up for front and rear

can am outlander 1000 max tire width
can am outlander rims
front 27-11-12 canam can i fit
increase size of outlander atv tire
need more tire clearance on outlander max 1000
what size are the rims on a 2013 can am mxr
what size tires can i put on my can-am outlander max 1000
what size tires to put on 2013 outlander max 1000

what tires and wheels can am 800 advice

why can;t i find tires for my 800 outlander max

why different wheel offset on rear 14 rim can am

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.