Can-Am ATV Forum

Trail permit in South Dakota

This is a discussion on Trail permit in South Dakota within the ATV Trails forums, part of the ATV News category; Does anybody know if you need a trail permit for South Dakota if so how much are they and do you have to go to ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > ATV News > ATV Trails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Benefactor Silver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #41
View BAJA X's Photo Gallery(153)
Does anybody know if you need a trail permit for South Dakota if so how much are they and do you have to go to a dmv or can you get them at gas stations like in Wis.& Mi.
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce Toy-Hauler
2004 MXZ Adren 800HO & 600HO
1989 H-D Springer Softail
2008 F-350 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab V10 Tow Command 4.10 gears
2013 Ford Edge
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Administrator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Member #2
View outlandish's Photo Gallery(211)
Can't seem to find any info on the web. Maybe have to call SD Fish and Game dept
Old 04-08-2006, 12:16 AM

Member #187
View wildleg's Photo Gallery(0)
When I called Sioux Falls dmv to check on permits and trails I was asked why I wanted to ride trails when you can ride atv anyplace exept the interstate.
Outty 800 member #31
Old 04-08-2006, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Member #2
wildleg wrote:
Quote:
When I called Sioux Falls dmv to check on permits and trails I was asked why I wanted to ride trails when you can ride atv anyplace exept the interstate.
Now that I could deal with. Must be some good riding there too
Old 04-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Benefactor Silver

Member #41
View BAJA X's Photo Gallery(153)
Thanks for looking guys I couldnt find any info also, sounds like it would be a fun state to ride in if you are allowed to go any where you want. Reason I asked is I thought I would take the outty out to Sturgis with me this year and also a buddy from work is going out to the Black Hills for vacation this year and wanted to do some riding. Again thanks for the info.
2008 XT30SB CrossRoads CrossForce Toy-Hauler
2004 MXZ Adren 800HO & 600HO
1989 H-D Springer Softail
2008 F-350 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab V10 Tow Command 4.10 gears
2013 Ford Edge
Old 04-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Lifetime Member

Member #613
View grizzlander's Photo Gallery(5)
You dont need a permit to ride the trails in the Black Hills but if you wanted to ride the roads in town you need to have your ATV licsensed in South Dakota, insurance, rear view mirror, and an audible warning device such as a horn,

I am going to the Black Hills in about 2 weeks for my 3rd annual trip there. The riding is AWESOME.
Team Outty #146
2004 Grizzly 660
2001 Trailblazer 250
Old 04-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Member #2
I am heading out to the Black Hills in mid June fora week ofriding with some friends. I found a little info:

ATV Riding
More than 90 percent of the Black Hills National Forest is open to some form of ATV and Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) travel. ATVs are also welcome in South Dakota state parks and, if registered and licensed, it is legal to ride ATVs on most South Dakota Roads. In short, the Black Hills is a very friendly place for ATV riders.
Moreover, the Black Hills has something for virtually every type of ATV user. Some trails have even been groomed with bumps, whoops and hills for the extreme recreational riders. In addition most US Forest Service roads are open to ATV travel and a significant portion of the hills is open for off-road use. So if your thing is climbing boulders and trees off in some remote location, you'll find that too.

There are some caveats, however:

• Not all of the Black Hills is open to wheeled and/or motorized travel. The large Black Elk Wilderness area is closed to all but hikers -- not even a baby stroller is permitted. Other areas are closed to motorized travel.
  • Most hiking and bridal trails are closed to motorized traffic, although they may be open to cyclists.
  • Some wildlife or other forest management areas may be closed seasonally. A few are closed all year. In some areas ATV travel is restricted to marked roads only.
  • National parks are closed to off-road ATV use: You may, however, ride on the highway through Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands if your ATV is licensed.
  • As with all public lands, motorized vehicles must be equipped with spark arrestors.
  • Finally there is a great deal of private land interspersed throughout the Black Hills National Forest. Private land is often posted with "NO TRESPASSING" signs. Private land owners generally guard their rights jealously.
The good news is that even with these restrictions, there's about a million acres where you can ride. Here's the rest of the good news:
  • ATV's may be used on most roads and highways as long as the ATV is registered and licensed. This mostly applies to South Dakota residents. If you live in a state where ATV's cannot be licensed for road use, your ATV may not be used on roads in South Dakota. (ATV's may not be used on Interstate Highways or other marked high-speed roadways.) Certain optional equipment and a minimum size of 200cc is required for ATV licensed in South Dakota.
  • A driver's license is not required to operate an ATV unless the ATV is operated on a public roadway, then a standard driver's license is required. The rider need not have a motorcycle endorsement to ride four-wheeled ATVs.
  • Visitors at most South Dakota State Parks must have licenses on both South Dakota and out-of-state vehicles. A valid park entrance license is also required. If an ATV is not licensed and/or does not have a valid park entrance license, then the vehicle must remain in the truck or on the trailer.
  • ATVs operated in state parks must be equipped with a horn, mirror, headlight, brake light, brakes and a license plate.
  • All operators must be 14 years of age or older and possess a valid driver's license.
  • Park visitors can only operate vehicles on designated park roads in South Dakota state parks and recreation areas or in the state ORV area.
  • Park visitors are not allowed to operate vehicles on paved or unpaved trails or on shorelines or beaches.
  • Drivers must obey all traffic regulations.
  • Eye protection is required of all users on public/park roads unless a windshield is in place.
  • Helmets are required of all users under 18 years of age on public/park roads.
For additional information you may contact the following:
Information about most of the Black Hills Forest:

Black Hills National Forest Service Office
25041 N. Highway 16, Custer, SD 57730
Phone: (605) 673-9200
Web: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills

The Forest Service publishes an excellent map of the entire Black Hills with various roads and restricted areas clearly marked. The map is free and available at most ATV dealers in the area. Copies are also available at Forest Service offices and at the address above.

Information about South Dakota state lands:

South Dakota Game Fish and Parks
523 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
Parks and Recreation information 605) 773-3391
Wildlife Division -- Wildinfo@state.sd.us
Parks and Recreation -- ParkInfo@state.sd.us
Custer State Park-- CusterStatePark@state.sd.us
http://www.sdgfp.info/Publications/P...RVbrochure.pdf

Other Contacts:
Buffalo Gap National Grassland
Phone: (605) 745-4107
Web: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/nebraska/units/frrd/bgng.html

Custer National Forest
Phone: (605) 797-4432
Web: http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/custer
Old 04-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Member #2
grizzlander any tips, trail locations etc? We are staying at the Chalet in Custer June 11th - 17th
Old 05-01-2006, 07:08 AM

Member #756
View HighCanyon's Photo Gallery(0)
I've been lurking around here for a long time, have a new bomb 800 and thought I'd say something.I live near deadwoodand have 20 acres with anold gold mine and another property in boulder canyon..one of the things that pis-- our neighbors off the most is: fast riding ATV's that come flying by the cabins/homes,and big groups. its best if you can to split up the large groups. The neighbors getballistic when large groups come by making tons of dust..another sure fast way to close trails across private lands is atv's that the As******'s that put on loud mufflers.od:....I saw first hand private land owners that closed trails and fenced them off because of fast drivers, and loud mufflers that scared their cattle. I myself closed off 20 arces with warning signs NO tresspessing, because of buttheads leaving beer cans, and garbage. A good friend of mine had his neighbors gold mine broken into, busted up the fence and left a pile of gargage and fire pit..so word is drive slow,respect,respect,respect the home owners and property..enjoy it while you can..:future things IMHO that will soon be against the law on trails are, deep lugs tires.The envirowackco's are closing gates fast...BTY I love atvs and good mannered people.:thm:repeat again, I love atv's:thm: and good mannered people !!! they are welcome ..assh**'s stay home...burn down your own neighborhood..!
Try to check out theincredible badlands atv trails..hwy 44 east of rapid city...:thumb2:

BTW..to drive on the hwy & streets you Must have a S,D license plate./horn/lighted rear plate/ full cvg insurance..and if driving at night..turn signals( per lawerance county sheriff.)..dont think you can just drive into town..without that..deadwood police will check your plates..and stop you..
Can-Am 800 Vtwin
Suzuki KingQuad
2001 Harley Ultra
Violin collector
God Bless America !
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Member #2
HighCanyon Welcome aboard. Thanks for replying. I am on your side of things. Being the president of our local ATV club, I often bring up the subject of RESPECT for property owners. We will be coming into your area with just 3 or 4 people so no large group. I kinda figured we wouldn't be able to ride the roads and that's why I am asking about trails we can ride. Never been out your way but always wanted to ride there. Can you give some more info on that trail you posted and maybe point us to some others??? Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > ATV News > ATV Trails

Search tags for this page
atv trails south dakota
black hills atv permit
do i need to register my atv in south dakota
forms for south dakota national forest atv trail permit
in state of sd do u need special license to drive atv on street
is there an off road permit needed for wheeling in the black hills of south dakota
sd atv trail permits

south dakota atv permit

south dakota atv trail permits

south dakota off road permit
south dakota utv registration
special permit to ride atv on south dakota highway
what info do i need to get a south dakota black hills atv tag
where can i get a black hills trail pass?
wht sd black hills areas dont require a license
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.