words of encouragement! - Can-Am ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

words of encouragement!

Hey everyone. I am a proud owner of a '15 1000xt. Unfortunately I dont get out these days nearly as much as I would like. However when I do get out there seems to be a couple small things that are tough to ignore. Squeaky steering, inaccurate gas gauge and the constant worry of high or low gear and when is it important to use each gear. I previously owned an '07 grizz 700. Aside from a couple basic fixes over 7 years and nearly 7000km, there was never an issue when out riding. The clutching was great, high gear almost all the time, no squeaky steering and.gas gauge was true. I love my can am but would love some.words of encouragement. Tough.to spend that money have such little silly things always on your mind instead of enjoying the ride. Lets hear your thoughts and experiences with said issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2016, 09:06 AM

I'm 50 have had all major brands of bikes, and about 6 Can Am's, I do not ride mine much either, so I would say if the gas gauge is a little off, well that really doesn't seem like a huge problem, just keep it full. I wonder if there is an adjustment on the level reader? as far as squeaking steering, I am thinking maybe you need some grease in the front fittings, from my experience It seems best to grease these rides very regularly. I hardly ever use low, because I usually always am going over 20 MPH on mine since most of my riding in on streets or flat packed wide open trails. so if you are going 20 MPH or under go low, and over 20 mph most of the time then stay in high. No need to worry about your ride with the things you mentioned, enjoy it, to me it's a much better machine then all the others.

G2 ~ 2012 Outlander XT 1000 ~ 14' XTP Gauge Cluster~ 27" Bighorn (look-a-likes), 14" BlackRock Revo Wheels ~ Blue TricLED Halo's Up Front ~ Full 8 piece Ricochet Skids ~ Race-Driven Severe Duty Sintered Brake Pads ~ Billet Shift knob ~ 4 Gallon RotoPax Gas Can

www.fastcoolcars.com ~ www.textingndriving.com ~ www.123inventions.com A couple of my websites and interests.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2016, 01:57 PM

Could be the steer stem bushings, lower one is not too bad to get at but the top is a real PITA.

2013 Outlander 650 Max XT

BRP fairing, mirrors skid plates and rear box
SYMTEC hand/thumb warmers
Trapper front box
GARMIN Montana 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 PM

Do not worry about gear unless you are going really slow for a long time or pulling. High is fine unless you feel like you are slipping the belt. I drive in high almost everywhere except going under 7 or so for long time or pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Can Am Outlander 400xt 7000 miles(traded)
2007 Can Am Outlander 500xt 13000 miles (traded)
2010 Can am Outlander 400xt 3000 miles (burned up)
2011 Can am Outlander 400xt 7500 miles (traded)
2009 Can Am Outlander 500xt 5700 miles (traded)
2013 Can Am Outlander 500xt 6000 miles (traded)
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 550 5000 miles (traded)
2016 Can Am Outlander 570xt 5000 miles (current)
2016 Can Am Defender HD10 3000 miles (current)

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.-Mark Twain

Failing to plan is the same as planning to FAIL.
Men do not fail, they give up trying.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 AM

Grease or lube your steering stem or simply spray some penitrating lube down it. I drive low 98% of the time but I also have an Xmr

2016 Xmr 1000r octane blue
max seat
synthetic winch rope
Kfi tiger tail
Can am aluminum skids
2-2"x6" led light bars

SOLD-2015 xmr 800r (dads ride now)
synthetic winch rope
Fox shocks
2-2"x6" led light bars

Semi retired
2001 grizzly 600
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2016, 07:01 AM

styk is right.....likely steering stem bushings. Grease them good once, and forget it!

Clutching....well its hard to compare a 35hp engine with a wet clutch to a 82hp dry clutch. The wet clutch is more forgiving in all cases, but is not meant for high HP applications. This is why so many people with the Arctic Cat 1000 ATV were doing dry clutch conversions.....to eliminate the slipping wet clutch system, and put the power to the ground! Its a give and take.....you want the power....and the smiles, or you want the quad you can drive in HI all day long without issues?

I get that its frustrating.....but you just have to get used to it. And if you dont want to deal with that side of it, I hate to say it, but you're better off on a Grizz.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 AM
XRJ

words of encouragement!

46.6 HP on your old Grizz. I too had a 2007 and also newer ones. My stock bore high compression/ported/cammed and more 2007 could clean a stock Outlander 800's clock in 300 feet. I've beat piped/fuel controller/filtered 800's too. That's nothing to sneeze at. I hardly ever had to use low. It would come up on demand in high because of it's mods and the way I had it set up.

Stock to stock, the only thing Can-Am has over a Yamaha is the power. Some might say looks too. I like the looks of both a lot. My 16 XMR 1000R was beast no doubt. But I also had another Grizzly with 31" laws and a lift. HL Extreme Clutch kit, 2" HL lift, and a CDI. That's it. The thing would wheelie much easier than my XMR because the XMR is longer and heavier. It winched out easier than the XMR. Had a much better locker and front brakes too. It was a fun as my XMR unless I was WOT...which you can't do most of the time unless you are racing, in the soft stuff, or had room to do it. That's where the big power comes into play. Big power does not come into play in the slow technical/tight stuff. Even with an XTP.

If Yamaha ever put a powerful v-twin in their ATV's, Can-Am would lose a lot more customers. Can-Am don't stand behind their customers much after the sale either. Yamaha is great with their dealers on warranty stuff...which makes getting things fixed easier for us.

Last edited by XRJ; 07-04-2016 at 12:09 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for all the feedback. Dont get me wrong I bought the outlander for the.raw hp. I still stand as a yamaha supporter but of course they are lacking in the power war. The issues are so small of course which leads to frustration when I look at the bill. Very different bikes indeed. And yes smiles are a plenty when im juice the throttle!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-03-2016, 05:33 AM

I'll second what Jamey said, if Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki ever entered the power wars and came up with a machine that was every bit as good as the King and Grizzly is but with 80HP or so I'm sure Polaris and Can Am would lose a lot of sales.

BigC, I too bought my XMR purely for the raw HP, I'd rather but the money into the machine up front for the HP than tear into the engine and mod the machine to raise the bar a little, I personally want as a reliable machine as possible. My XMR is to new to determine if it will be as reliable as the King Quad it replaces.

2016 Can Am 1000R XMR - Stock, with Ricochet skids, Heated Grips/Thumb, Rear Seat, and 32 gallon Trunk
2013 Polaris Sportsman 850XP HO Stealth Black LE - Stock Polaris 2500 Winch, Ricochet Ultimate Skids, UNI Air Filter, STI HD2 6+1 with 27" Black Diamonds XTRs
2013 King Quad 750 with EPS, UNI Filter, Viper Max 3500# winch, Ricochet skids, STI HD Beadlocks and 26" Black diamond XTRs - SOLD
post #10 of 10 Old 05-03-2016, 06:35 AM
XRJ

words of encouragement!

Well said. That engine is intoxicating. I hope it brings you lots of joy and stays reliable. Know when and how to treat and ride it and you will fair better than some. Take care of that heat issue asap. Never use high towing and use low where needed. They truly are awesome machines.

For me, tearing into a new Grizzly 700 motor was not even a factor. It's a proven single that's easy to work on. Even the big bores have proven reliable. Mine was a stock bore with a high compression Weisco, Raptor Hotcam, porting, and all the usual external mods. The new ones have a larger piston with a little more compression. It makes noticeably more power than the older ones walks right away from a piped older one. Lol.

Then the clutch. Yamaha clutches are so easy to work on and get where you want them without having to order these expensive as heck sheaves.

When I get a new Grizzly in the future, it will be torn into within a few months no doubt. If they ever do a twin, all the better for some of us. I don't think they really have to though.

The Kings feel a lot bulkier. Not after hopping off my XMR though. Lol. The King feels like a toy. My brother still has a King and a 650 Max in the stables. I ride them when I want.

Last edited by XRJ; 05-03-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-am 2015 Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode