Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which ATV Manufacturer is the Most Reliable?

18K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rboyce69 
#1 ·

Tell us which brand you think makes the most reliable ATVs

No matter how good of a deal you think you’re getting, buying an ATV is a major purchase. While a plush suspension and powerful engine are important buying decisions, perhaps the greatest concern for an ATV buyer is reliability. So, which ATV manufacturer is the most reliable?

We figured nobody was more qualified to answer this question than you, the reader and ATV enthusiast.
Read more about Which ATV Manufacturer is the Most Reliable? at ATV.com.

See less See more
#4 ·
thats an easy one...HONDA
the other japanese atv are very reliable also but honda is king.

#6 ·
I was very interested in the subject of this thread. Reliability was the number one purchase criteria in my search for a new ATV. Reliability research is the main reason I joined Can Am Forums.

My career was in OEM component manufacturing for major agricultural and construction equipment companies, like Deere. Reliability is a major design criteria. It is even more so with automobile manufacturers. If you were shopping for a new tractor or a new car, you could find some pretty good reliability data, like defects per unit sold.

I could not find any objective reliability data on ATVs. I read a bunch of threads filled with anecdotal information and opinions. I did not choose Can Am because of good reliability data, I chose Can Am because of the Rotax engine, style, fit and finish, good dealer service shop, and BRP involvement in aircraft manufacturing. And I liked the blue color! How's that for being dumb.

I agree the Japanese brands have a strong reputation for reliability. But they don't make a two up ATV, and I didn't want a side by side.

The ATV.com reliability page is nothing more than a "vote", or opinion. Can Am is my favorite, so I will vote for Can Am. I did not see any good reliability data (defects per unit sold, recalls, life testing data, warranty claims, etc.) on the ATV.com page. I have not had any defects or issues in the first 13 hours of operation. Off to a good start, but there is a long, long way to go.

So we drop 3 years savings on a new, fun motor "toy" (like motorcycle, power boat, camper, riding lawn mower, etc.) and take our chances.

I think an independent data analysis company like JD Powers or others would do us ATV consumers a real service by gathering reliability data on the various brands and models. I think it would inspire ATV manufacturers to improve there design and manufacturing processes.

We Can Am Forum members have a thread on Can Am Outlander Improvements we would like to see. It is quite a list. I hope Can Am marketing and engineering took a read of the thread.

David

#7 ·
Honda is the most reliable, and also the most boring to drive. But sometimes I'd rather have boring and reliable than fun and problematic LOL

#9 ·
I used to run Polaris and got tired of repairs. My Outlanders have 1/3 the problems that I used to have with them. But I would bet the Honda is far superior, But they don't give the adrenalin rush that the Can Am's do. It's all in how and where you ride.

Reactions: No.1partsguy
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.