Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutting out and dying.

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  TorkMonster 
#1 ·
So, today, and also two days ago, my outty has been kinda spitting and sputtering. The other day, as I was a little over due service, I thought maybe spark plugs..

Well, it is NOT...

I changed the plugs, went for a ride today, and it did good for about 15 minutes... Then started the spitting and sputtering..... Play with the throttle a bit, and it would rev back up...

Then before I could get back to the truck, it died... started back and still continued to do the same. I bet it died 45 time if it died twice trying to get it out of the woods.... Long ways, and lotsa hills... Woulda been REALLY fun trying to pull it out.

Now, the other day, it seemed to do it only every so often and when I would corner or turn.. TOday, it did also, and more extreme and if I hit a bump or rut, it would do it so bad it would die....

There is no water in it, hasn't been in water or mud for a while now....it has good fuel, AND a lil bit of injector cleaner stuff, and fresh plugs on it.

I am thinkin fuel pump, or maybe dirty "SOCK" or filter in the tank...

Any thoughts or ideas???

Also, it overheated once, and ever since it has been missin, or sputtering like that, I have been trying to pull codes from it, and there have been none.. But when it overheated, it gave me P1116 code.....

I looked up in the table, but P1115 was the closest number to it, and it was just telling me it was hot.. lol I already knew that..

So, whatever is wrong, it is not showing on the on-board diagnostics....

One thing for sure, it ain't right, and it is NOT running right..... 20 MPH was doing VERY GOOD today...:puke: And that would be going DOWN HILL..:pod::eek:mg::cry:

See less See more
#3 ·
lol, yeah I did, they are tight... and clean...

Also in my above post, when I said about it overheating, I didnt mean to say it where it started cutting out since it overheated.. It was cutting out BEFORE it over heated...

Hope it is something simple....

#5 ·
Revicm wrote:
or maybe dirty "SOCK" or filter in the tank...

I think you hit the nail on the head.

http://aurorawheelers.com/forum54/11943.html
WoW.. Yeah!! lol I remember that thread now!!!

Will be first thing I do tomorrow... HOPEFULLY that is what it is.... Might save me a trip to dealer, and downtime of quad before my vacation is over!!

Man, that would be good if it is! Thank ya...:)

#6 ·
Going to tear it apart in just a minute.. Will report what the findings are....
Honestly, the only time I have ridden in mud, I CAN say that I saw mud on the inside of the filler neck... But that has been months ago and quite a few tanks ago..

#7 ·
sorry if this is too late but usually a flow test is how this is diagnosed.

but if water is sloshing around in the tank?? i see you live down in the south 48like me and condensation can get ugly.

#8 ·
Could THIS be my PROBLEM????

Sorry for the bad pic... Was with my phone.... That thing was VERY clogged/MUDDY.. BAD..
Though, my gauge thing was REALLY clean.. I was thinking the two were related since they are together... Hmmmm...
I am gonna clean EVERY part of the assembly, and in the tank..
Man HOW did it get that muddy??? I only rode MUD once, and that been a WHILE ago..
I think it came in the gas CAP, as once after that ride (which I posted pics of on here) I had a little mud remnance on the INSIDE of the filler neck, right below the cap...
Man, I am so glad that is all it is... Well, I HOPE that is all it is.....

#9 ·
Mine started cutting out yesterday when me and my wife was riding. Its funny how these threads pop up.

I think I have you beat.

After some simple cleaning

I think this might be something I check at least once a year. I looked in the tank and saw some dirt in the gas. Nothing major but enough to need a good cleaning. The cool thing is that it is right now tuned with the current restriction in the fuel system. I think I might be running a little rich now.. hehehehe. I think I might be able to tell a difference.

#10 ·
lol, yeah, looks a lil worst than mine, although man! Mine was dying about every 5 feet the other day, just trying to get back to the truck....

Is there any way you think this might somehow cause an overheat????

And do you think those lil clips that are on the fuel line, go around those lil white plugs are readily available??? lol I broke BOTH of them trying to get them off... OMG... First time I ever messed with a plug like that.

EDIT,

THIS plug

#11 ·
Yes
If the filter is clogged you are not able to get enough gas to the cylinder causing your A/F mixture to go extremly lean. Lean motors run hot.

Im sure you can order those clips but you are going to hate yourself when I tell you how to pull those lines apart. Instead of pulling up on those clips and trying to pull them out which cause it to break, all you had to do was push the clip in and the line would have been able to pull out. Been there done that.

#12 ·
LOL.. I TRIED it.. I guess not GOOD enough, wow.. I did try pushing down though.. oh well, I will get new ones, or figure a new clamp out.. Like to get new ones though..

Ok, so yeah, that makes since.. Guess my spark plugs really DIDNT need to be changed, but I changed them the other morning before the ride, and they were REALLY white.. That would explain it then...
Thanks John for your input!!!

#13 ·
The first thing to check on an OL 500/650/800 when these symptoms arise is the fuel pump/filter. OR U can pressure test the system. U should have 51 PSI, anything less indicates a clogged fuel pump filter ( if U have been in mud/water or any kind ) U could have the infamous bull **** fuel tank grommet ( only on 06/07 and early build 08 model OL's )

#14 ·
Thank ya NBM.... I hav been watching my grommet also.. Mine IS an early 08 model....

#15 ·
Glad you guys got it figured out. Those clamps are available at any serious auto parts store.

All that connection is for is for what you used it for, taking out the tank, any coupling will work, nipple and hose clamps.

#16 ·
Hate to say it but I am glad that was the problem TorkMonster...it would suck after doing all that and finding out that it wasn't the problem. I would feel partially responsable. You will have her up and running in no time.:thm:

#17 ·
Ha ha, yeah, I am VERY glad that was the problem... I need to look ovr my gas cap and threads real god, and run the vents up too.. When I snorkled it, those gas tank vents were the only thing I didnt do.

#18 ·
glad i read this thread. had a similar problem but it just turned out to be a loose battery connection. is checking fuel pump and filter part of normal maint. or only if there is a problem?

#20 ·
high class bobby bass, but effective. I was thinking u could make a prettier one with the black plastic neck hole cover off a 400(filler neck on other side), but it wouldnt fit as snug. An o-ring inside the cap would help too in them deep holes(would tighten down on top of filler neck)

Attachments

#21 ·
rob13 wrote:
glad i read this thread. had a similar problem but it just turned out to be a loose battery connection. is checking fuel pump and filter part of normal maint. or only if there is a problem?
I think that would depend on how much mud you get into rob13.

#22 ·
Kraker wrote:
dunno if this would cure it, but i made a rubber mud stopper for around the filler neck after seeing mud spray up around it from the back tire
Good tip, Kraker .:thumb2:

#23 ·
That is a great idea KRAKER...
I didnt even think of one like that, I was thinking along the lines the o-ring.. Maybe I'll do BOTH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.