Can-Am ATV Forum

WINCH CAUSING LOW BAT "LIMP HOME MODE"

This is a discussion on WINCH CAUSING LOW BAT "LIMP HOME MODE" within the Can-Am / BRP forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; I have an 08 outlander 650 xt and every time i use my 3000lb warn winch "that came with it" it throws the limp home ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #6100
View can-am 650's Photo Gallery(0)
I have an 08 outlander 650 xt and every time i use my 3000lb warn winch "that came with it" it throws the limp home mode for low battery.This happens with load and without load.I have come to the conclusion that the batteries are CRAP. They are only rated for 18 amps/hour in which it says on the side of the battery! Well if you look in the warn winch manual that came with it, it says

PERFORMANCE DATA

LOAD(LBS) CURRENT(AMPS) SPEED (FT/MIN)
3000 198 4(1.2)
2500 158 6(1.8)
2000 125 8(2.4)
1500 96 11(3.3)
1000 67 13(4.0)
500 39 16(4.9)
0 15 18(5.5)

This is what i get out of this while trying to winch my machine which is about 650lbs if not mistaken the amperage/hour is well exceeded the battery limit according to winch specs and is about usless with stock batteryI am no meansa electrician but amvery disgruntled !!!!!!!!!!! ...........you spend this much for a machine and seems like brp didnt even test winches with stock battery UNDER REASONABLE winching conditions "snow/mud/water" etc how disappointing!!!!!!! I will be on the horn with my dealer and probably brp, I know there are others out there with same problem that have started from the day they bought there machines.
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Member #4041
View BrianE's Photo Gallery(8)
The BRP quads are a little too sensitive to low voltage. If you keep the battery on a tender when not riding it helps. I switched to an Odyssey battery and it did help. If you do a lot of winching I suggest a dual battery set up. There's plenty of room for one in the rear storage compartment.

2010 Outlander XT 800R
HMF Exhaust.
Elka Stage 3 shocks
Renegade Bars and pegs
Kenda BK HTR 26"
Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks
VFJ Primary clutch
Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 AM

Member #6100
I will probably do the dual battery but why should i have to do this wheni bought the machine in oct which makes it 6 months old. I believe brp has to take action and at least test the winches in normal winching conditions before just throwing on machines. I have talked to dealer and they say brp has come out with service bulletin saying to rev engine when using winch, well that doesnt work either i rev to 4500 due to charging system charging battery at 4000 i believe and no progress. doesnt matter what i rev to i always get bat low limp home mode when using winch.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

Member #4041
Ok I see your hell bent on getting BRP to do something about it. I agree and have sent them a letter when I first bought my quad. I also knew about this problem before I bought it. Maybe BRP will change something in the future but they are not going to fix the one you have. Sorry but thats a fact. Now you could have a bad battery or stator. I know if I use my winch for pulling and plowing the quad can not keep up. It will eventualy get a low battery. That is why I put mine on a tender. When I do , the only time I get the limp home mode is on a long hard pull.

2010 Outlander XT 800R
HMF Exhaust.
Elka Stage 3 shocks
Renegade Bars and pegs
Kenda BK HTR 26"
VFJ Primary clutch
Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Member #2217
View fmj40's Photo Gallery(7)
650, just let me add this. I get the limp home mode too on occasion when using the winch. These days its mostly after doing a lot of winching cause of plowing my yard. However, on these occasions I make it a point of shutting the rig off to make sure it'll start again, and it does with no problems. So I am thinking that perhaps the batt isn't keeping up well enough with winch operation, but still has plenty to run the quad even after this occurs.
Warn plow, winch and push tubes
Ricochet Skids, AC Grip Warmers, BRP windshield
Crutchfield Stage 2\'s up front, 1\'s in the rear
PRP Steering Stabilizer
26" Outlaw MST\'s, ITP SS108\'s
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM

Member #6100
brian e Did you ever get a reply from brp after sending the letter if so what did they say.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 PM
VIP Member

Member #4041
can-am 650 wrote:
Quote:
brian e Did you ever get a reply from brp after sending the letter if so what did they say.
I got nothing they completely ignored me. Or I sent the letters to the wrong place.:shrug:

2010 Outlander XT 800R
HMF Exhaust.
Elka Stage 3 shocks
Renegade Bars and pegs
Kenda BK HTR 26"
VFJ Primary clutch
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member

Member #6128
View rob13's Photo Gallery(0)
happened to me also. the battery tender did the trick and i don't get the limp home. once in a while i get the low batt. but thats it. when i need a new batt, i will just get a better quality one. i guess as long as it gets me unstuck...
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Member #6167
View SAR Quad's Photo Gallery(0)
I think one of the problems is they have tried to “one up” the competition by going to the 3000lb winch which draws more current than say a 2000lb winch which for most people would work just fine...if not, use a snatch block to double the pulling power. Personally I do not run with the headlights on which keeps the current drain to a minimum and my battery as charged as possible. (However I have install high visibility low current draw orange LEDs lights on the front to be seen on the trail.) Any stock battery in any stock 4x4 vehiclewith an "over rated" winch is going to have problems keep up with a charge if left at idling on the trail. You will have to work with the charging system and the winch. If you have multiple winching in a row or you are out for a day of winching do not rewind your cable on the spool each time. Just wrap the cable that’s left sticking out around your bumper and save the juice in your battery for winching and not re spooling. You can also use a tug strap as much as possible and save the winch juice for when you can’t get any other machine close. Canam has one of the best 3 phase charging systems on the market and a standard size battery for normal operation. I have no problem in the winching I do but I always leave home with a full charged battery. You may want to make sure your battery connections are tight as well.

Check out here how to attach a tug strap to the rear. http://aurorawheelers.com/forum54/13753.html

My How To postings are “do at your own risk”...of course. It is the idea only, hence that lack of step by step instructions. I believe the ideas to be original but I have not spent endless hours searching to see if it has been done before. Hope you find something that peaks your interest.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 PM

Member #1104
View brpbear's Photo Gallery(0)
Hears something you should do if you want to stop your winch from stacking.I don't know why Can Am covers the Cable up so you can't see it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

Search tags for this page

2006 can-am outlander keeps saying lobattery

can a can am run without a battery
can am low batery winch
can am outlander 650 winch problems
can am winch battery problems

can-am me mode

canam limp home winch

canam limp home winch prolems

how to reset limp home mode can am

lights dim while winching

limp home mode charge battery

limp home mode for canam what is the amprege

lo battery while using winch can am outlander

low batter after winching on a canam

wil low battery cause miss outlander 650

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.