Can-Am ATV Forum

Grinding noise going on, what could it be?

This is a discussion on Grinding noise going on, what could it be? within the Can-Am / BRP forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; Sup guys, Just got back from WV and boy was it fun. However my 3 month old 09 Outty with 30 hours is sick and ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #6017
View gtbuzzbee's Photo Gallery(0)
Sup guys,

Just got back from WV and boy was it fun. However my 3 month old 09 Outty with 30 hours is sick and really has been throughout the first three months of ownership. My ATV has this grinding noise which sounds like its between my feet. To make the noise happen all you have to do is just make a figure 8 on the road. It appears if you go straight it does not really make the noise but once you start to turn and give it gas you can hear something popping and grinding from the inside. The positive is its under manufacture warranty however it sat at a shop for the past three weeks and never was fixed. The last place either did not want to work on it or just could not locate the problem. I feel like they were worried about getting money from CAN AM to fix a bike that not broken. The basically said "just drive it its not broken."

I did ride about 8 hours worth in WV hoping something would break. With it broken locating the problem would have been easier but it just would not break. However it does appear the noise has gotten louder. The last place did make reference to a propellor shaft replacing one and telling me that it was fixed. But its not and for all I know they did not even do anything. Any idea what this problem could be and is that something common. I just would like to help the next shop out so the bike can be properly diagnosed and fixed. On Tuesday, it will go in to resolve the issue.

My bike does have a second problem which I feel is linked to a nagging problem since I purchased the bike. While riding in WV my bike begin to sputter and skip just out of the blue. Once I went through this one river with about a 1/4" of the bike submerged thats when the problem began. When I would give it gas its like it did not have the power missing and skipping during the process. Once I would let off the gas from acceleration it would actually just cut off. After restart the bike would idle fine but again once you throttled the problem it would show itself again. The few guys I was with tested a few things with spark plug wires being one of them. I noticed the wire to the back cyclinder had alot of play in it even with it attached to the spark plug. I did unplug and replug and after this my problem was fixed. No hesistation, missing, skipping or any of that. For about 10 mins it ran great then all of a sudden the bike started acting up again. I proceded to readjust that plug and from that point on my bike rand great for the next 2 hours until we left to come home. I really feel like I need a new spark plug wire or somehow make the the current one tighter. Is the possbile and if not how should I go about this with the dealer to get a new one. Its currently idling and running great so the shop will not be able to experince this. Should I demand a new one just pay for it myself.

Since I have owned this bike it has experienced this nagging skipping that I never has been able to fix. I have tested all battery cables but nothing has worked. Here is my question from two months ago on this site:

"Anyway for the past month and 15 hours of riding with this vehicle it appears that between the speeds of 8-15mph the engine acts like it is missing or skipping. In the exhaust you can even hear a break in the idle when it does it. Its not real bad but somewhat annoying. Under throttle it does not do it and at speeds higher than this it rides fine. However if your say in some deep woods and speeds are in that range of 8-15mph yes it does skip or miss in the engine. Is this normal and if not how should it be diagnosed. At my 10hour service with my local dealer I made them aware of the problem but told me they found nothing and the ecu reported no problem. During the WV ride I did allow two honda owners ride my atv and they both experinced what I am describing. One mentioned that it may be in between where it shifts from 1st into 2nd and the revs are to high in first. I dunno but my John Deere Trail Buck 650 has never done this and it is powered by a Rotec 650CC engine. My question is does anybody elses Outlander do this and if not how should I go about having this problem fixed with my warranty."

After readjusting my plug wire for the second time it appeared my nagging problem was finally fixed. I tried to make it skip or miss and it did not. I guess the connection to the plug was not strong enough to make a good spark and this has been my problem all along. Any insight on the plug wire problem and having it fixed under warranty.

The bike is going in Tuesday and hopefully I can be problem free. I do regret not getting a Honda as I am not sure how much more I can take of this. I just want to ride and not worry about anything but for the first 35 hours its been anything but that. Any insight to my problems or should i just pursue a lemon law issue, I wish! Anyway thanks in advance, I am confident my next ride will be a good one!

Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Member #1127
View QUADAHOLIC's Photo Gallery(57)
About the "missing" part, make sure your battery cables are real tight at all ends.

You may also have a spark plug wire that is broken internally.

Seems you may have to shop for a new service place.:shrug:

Gave to stepson, without a ride for awhile.
ALEX JONES
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Member #4041
View BrianE's Photo Gallery(8)
A popping and grinding while turning could be a front cv joint. Get the dealer to replace the spark plug wire then put a little dialectic grease in the cap. Do stealth snorkels (search this site). Make sure your not getting water in belt and air box.

2010 Outlander XT 800R
HMF Exhaust.
Elka Stage 3 shocks
Renegade Bars and pegs
Kenda BK HTR 26"
Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks
VFJ /STM clutches
Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Member #4904
View RORER-714's Photo Gallery(10)
gtbuzzbee wrote:
Quote:
I do regret not getting a Honda as I am not sure how much more I can take of this. I just want to ride and not worry about anything
My buddies '08 Rincon was in the shop on and off most of the winter due to missing,losing power.

http://aurorawheelers.com/forum7/13761.html

\'06 Outlander 800 Camo,2" Snorkeled,HMF,Crutchfield 1&2 Extreme's,28" 589's

\'07 Renegade 800,Snorkeled,27" Executioners

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

Search tags for this page

atv grinding noise starting

atv makes popping grinding sound

can am 800 grinding sound underneath

can am outlander 500 making grinding noise

grinding noise on atv

grinding noise when getting on and off has can am outlander

grinding when starting and driving atv

hear grinding noise on atv

john deere buck 500 making grinding noise

my john deere trail buck is sputtering

my john deere trail buck makes noise in the front

problems with trail buck grinding

what would cause my trailbuck 650 atv to cut out at half throttle

where can i get plug wires for my outlander 650?

why my bike sounds like its grinding

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.