Can-Am ATV Forum

Why cant I wheelie?

This is a discussion on Why cant I wheelie? within the Can-Am / BRP forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; Ok... I get more disappointed everytime I try, but seriously I cant wheelie on my machine. Ive done some air, 4-6ft and lifted the front ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #10290
View sherkas's Photo Gallery(0)
Why cant I wheelie?

Ok... I get more disappointed everytime I try, but seriously I cant wheelie on my machine.

Ive done some air, 4-6ft and lifted the front as I hit the jump and I really know how it 'feels' when the front lifts in the air for jumps. I also have just recently snorkeled the machine and done some puddles where the front up comes up when giving it gas (probably because its much lighter in the water and im standing on the furthest part back).

Anyways, its a stock 2010 800 outlander, had my first dealer maintenance done, and had a twin air filter put on.

At this point ive been unable to wheelie this bad boy. Ive just recently put on snorkels and tried again to wheelie and I cant. I feel honestly gimped and have no idea why I cant wheelie. I put it in 2 wheel low. full throttle... no lift. I sit on the back of the seat and lift what my little arms can do and no lift. I try 4 wheel low and no tire lift. The suspension will decompress and thats as far as I can get. I cant get any lift off. Now I weigh about 130 pounds and ive tried everything I know how to get it done, is there something wrong with my machine or do I really lack that much to do a wheelie?
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 AM
The Enforcer

Member #180
View OSOKILL's Photo Gallery(481)
max or reg ... have a winch?? and how did you break it in??
Team Outty 800 Member #24
Silent souls make .308 holes
www.commanderforums.org
www.atvblog.net
Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 AM

First Name: the clutch guy
Member #9432
View ///AIRDAM's Photo Gallery(0)
i think alot of it could be that you dont have a lift. the rear suspension may be so soft its absorbing the initial shock load that usually throws you back. clutch kits tend to help out as well.

is your bike just spinning the rear tires violently? or kinda laggy off the line and just wont pick up? if your tires are just spinning away you need to figure out why, too much air pressure in the tires usually. i have ridden a few can-ams that would not wheelie very easily, and some were wheelie monsters right out of the box.

try stiffening up the rear suspension, and letting the air in your rear tires down to about 5psi. get on some good ground and just stab the throttle. if it spins like crazy and dont pick up you need to let more air out of the tires. if its just laggy you might look into a clutch kit and tune.

the only other option after those have been expelled is a different primary clutch. the STM, comet, and CVtech all have a smaller shaft diameter in the primary which lowers the initial gear ratio of the clutches, which usually gives you tons more low end. if you cant wheelie with one of those clutches installed soemthing is bad wrong cause i have taken the CVtech clutch, put it on a TIRED old stock 07 800HO with 30" mud tires that would not wheelie stock, and about flipped it over with the CVtech clutch.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 AM
The Enforcer

Member #180
View OSOKILL's Photo Gallery(481)
right now my 800 is pretty much stock ... has the stock clutch with the tan dalton spring so that makes no difference ... has stock exhaust I took my LTE duals off and have been runnng a stock can and my 800 will wheelie at will .... sooo before selling clutches and stuff lets find out the basic info first like max or reg yada yada yada
Team Outty 800 Member #24
Silent souls make .308 holes
www.commanderforums.org
www.atvblog.net
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 AM

First Name: Andy
Member #7445
View I.C.O.N.'s Photo Gallery(0)
At 130lbs you are gonna have a tuff time getting traction.

I am 175 and have a hard time in High without bumping the seat. Low range is easy, and much more fun! now my bro at 250 can wheelie it in high with no effort even on gravel where I just spin out.

Maybe strap a 50lb bag of salt to the back?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Member #10290
View sherkas's Photo Gallery(0)
The quad is a regular, and actually yes my suspension is on th softest settings (how it came from dealer).

the tires also do not spin violently. Ive tried on hard packed ground, soft gravel, pavement, grass fields.
It does have a winch (3000 pounds) and for the break in, well I would say it has a medium break in. I didnt just trail ride and I did hammer it alot but I wouldn't consider it a great break in at my level now of riding.
It did have its first maintenance and it easily felt double the power after that. (after seals being done)

Tonight I will change the suspension to stiffest and see if that helps.

Last edited by sherkas; 08-03-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Member #9596
View camo8hundo's Photo Gallery(0)
try standing.... and start just slightly up hill... if you can find a little bump like that. push down with your feet, and pull back with your arms. no doubt the front end should pop right up... what you driving on...? should be easy on some grass, or how i hate to do it... pavement... tar and cement will ruin your tires...

maybe go even softer on the back tires... til you get a feel for it.... my tires have just enough air that the side walls don't squish out when i sit down... and when i kick the back it squishes in pretty good... i don't go by the tester..... 5 pounds on mine was actually more like ten according to the tester.

keep tryin bud, you'll get it. it's definately NOT the wheeler's fault. you'll figure it out. i had a hard time when i first go my 09 800 too
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Member #9596
View camo8hundo's Photo Gallery(0)
ok maybe it's a lemon and it not your fault.... BUT if you're wheeler's ok, you'll get er to work
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 AM

First Name: the clutch guy
Member #9432
View ///AIRDAM's Photo Gallery(0)
yeah it should be capable in its stock form, but like said, softest setting on the suspension, and your kinda light, so the bike aint planing the rear and hooking up. the soft rear suspension is absorbing the initial shock load that usually throws the front end up.

here i just uploaded a video for you. notice the standing up, and jerking back with your body at the same time you nail the throttle. you can do this from a slow start, or sitting still. it usually takes alot of power to stand it up when rolling at 20 like this vid but it shows you the motion.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Lifetime Member / Experienced Builder

Member #4865
View got wake?'s Photo Gallery(0)
suspension and traction are two big variables in pulling wheelies. when i had my rear shocks maxed out, it would wheelie too much and made it difficult to launch for racing.

KMC XD badland chrome rims, 31" outlaws, relocated radiator, snorkels, works shocks, custom bracket lift, comet clutch, Mrrpm 840, Mrrpm cams, Mrrpm port and polish, Mrrpm over sized valves, springs, retainers, etc, 12.7:1 compression w/ CP pistons, 14mm spark plugs, 50mm TB, '09 intake, '09 filter, full muzzy w/ titanium can, rox anti-vibe risers, and flexx bars.

32's on CCATV aluminum locks for deep water pit racing. 29.5x10's on steel crush locks for not as deep water pit racing. 29.5x12's on type 7's for thick mud pit racing. 26x12's on black deltas for drag racing.
31x10.5 Falken's on ITP SS212 platinum 15's for street riding.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

Search tags for this page
2009 can am outlander can it wheely
atv wheelie suspension too soft
can am 500 wheelie

can am commander wheelie

can am maverick water wheelie
can am max cant wheelie
can am outlander 500 wheelie
can an commander wheelie
canam wheelies
how to do a side wheelie on a quad
how to get a can am maverick to wheelie
i cant ride a wheelie on a four wheeler
what is a good shock setting on my atv for doing wheelies
wheelies on can-ams
why would i do a radiator relocator on my four wheeler
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.