Deluxe Fairing Accessory Rant - Can-Am ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Deluxe Fairing Accessory Rant

I installed the "deluxe fairing" accessory today. I purchased this so I could install the rear view mirrors and have a low windshield on my Can Am.

I regret to say this accessory is not up to Can Am standards in my view. Here's my observations:

1. The sheet instructions coming with the kit are quite poor. Both the diagrams and verbage needs improvement. I've written a lot of instructions in my career. It almost seems like these instructions were written by a CAD tech rolling three dimensional views around on the computer screen and then copy-paste. I request the Can Am technical writers get off their chairs and out to the shop to photograph this thing going together. It would be quite helpful. The diagrams are poor. You don't need much verbage with good photos.

2. Too many parts. It is a fairing for goodness sakes. The stock "brush guard" I took off is one piece. This thing has over 20 items in the box, including fasteners.

3. Speaking of fasteners, every one seemingly used a different tool. We've got our Torx in two sizes, our socket hex head, our Phillips, our 5.5 metric socket, and our push clips.

4. The over center clamps holding the fairing to the handlebar mounts are too weak and don't stay in their plastic slot very well. They splay when you clamp the fairing in place and pull out of the slots.

5. I get the thing mounted to the handlebars, and the last piece called the center handlebar cover I snap on the bars won't fit. If a Can Am tech assembled one of these, they would surly recommend snapping the handlebar center cover on first, and then mounting the handlebar clamps. That way the fairing would be centered on the bars. So I take it off and do it again. I was off about 3/8". Dumb.

6. By the way, the center handlebar cover does not accommodate the Montana GPS unit like the stock brush guard does. Now I gotta figure out something for that.

7. Cup holders! What on earth for? There are two pieces easily eliminated. I hope I didn't pay extra for those. I'm going to keep my hands on the grips, thank you.

Maybe Can Am monitors this website for customer feedback. I would if I was them.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 05:29 AM

Gps goes up on the fairing on the flat spot between the cup holders. Only problem is, you won't be able to mount the braket without dissembling your windshield all over again.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Had one on my 500 Max wasn't impressed for the money. Overall it worked well except for the mirrors which are wobbly garbage but maybe they improved them. The instructions you are correct are terrible

2014 Polaris Touring 850 LE

2014 Polaris RZR 800LE Orange Madness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

1000r-dan: I'll take a look at that "flat spot" for the GPS. I didn't notice it. I need to angle it so I can see it while riding. The windshield is just mounted in grommets, easy on and off. I know there are other options for the Montana mounting system.

Vtprairie: I'll rant some more if the mirrors go wobbly on me. They look as goofy as the fairing in the box. We shall see after I get them assembled.

Everything about Can Am ought to be ATV rugged. It's a little like designing trucks or tractors.

David
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM

They just weren't rigid to begin with. They look good on the machine but if someone behind you doesn't have headlights on they are hard to see. This was 2012 maybe they changed the design. The fairing does work well thou once installed and I thought it looked sharp as well

2014 Polaris Touring 850 LE

2014 Polaris RZR 800LE Orange Madness
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the GPS mounting area. I had to take the front section out to gain access to the back side of this surface. 8 fasteners total, three tools needed.

Low and behold, there were drill points molded on the back side. I drilled the 4 hole pattern, and screwed tight the Garmin mounting bracket. Then put the center section back together again. Not a word about this in the instructions.

The mirrors rank right up there with the fairing. The diagrams were useless. The three molded pieces did finally fit together and two M-5 bolts sandwiched them together, both left and right mirror.

But the mouting scheme on the fairing was awful. There is a hooked tab, then a post and ring clamp, and then a phillips head self tapper screw for plastic. The two screws were in difficult positions to see, get a phillips on, and then tighten. Persistence gains success.

The mirrors vibrate a lot. Yes I can see a headlight, but you can't see to back up in a tight spot. Oh well, it looked good in the catalog.

I do like the idea the windshield pops off the grommets easily. And the Garmin mounting pad provides good visibility of the GPS. And there is nothing like two cup holders! Whoohoo!

We will see how well it blocks the cold wind when I get it out for a ride.

David

Last edited by dbj216; 01-11-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode