Can-Am ATV Forum

How much HP is enough? Too much?

This is a discussion on How much HP is enough? Too much? within the Can-Am / BRP forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; We have a machine that, if used without extreme discretion, can hurt people. There are doubtlessly going to be accidents, just as thereare with 150hp ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2005, 01:43 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #45
View turboman's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via AIM to turboman Send a message via MSN to turboman
We have a machine that, if used without extreme discretion, can hurt people. There are doubtlessly going to be accidents, just as thereare with 150hp motorcycles. Anyone over 16 can walk into a dealership and buy a 800.I hope we haven't started a HP race between manufacturers that will effect insurance rates and legislation.

There's an inborn instinct for self preservation and usually the voice in our heads tells us when to back off. Problems will come when riders mix alcohol into the picture.

I'm still going to try to increase the power as much as I can with bolt-ons. The troublewill comewhenI'm riding in a group. The "competition" instinct,in varying degrees,can over-ride self preservation. Like when someones passes you on a trail and you know you're faster than he is, and dammit you're gonna prove it. Or else..

All I'm trying to say is be super careful. Hold off on the taking tight turns by kicking the rear end around with HP. One of these times the rear will catch traction and you'll go straight off the trail into who knows what. Just isn't worth it. Like they said on the TV cop show, "...be careful out there".
800 MaxXT,25"XTR\'s.RAM GPS,Twin-Air, Ricochet,ELKA fronts,EBC pads,Kevlar cable,PIAA bulbs,grip-reinf\'s,Leeds hitch,Precision damper,1" Rr spacers,Iridium plugs,Rene\'wgts,OEM w/shield,OURY grips,WestCo coated muffler,Saeng mirrors,flares,AGM bat
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-13-2005, 05:16 AM
VIP Member

Member #65
View zac41's Photo Gallery(29)
I didn't know there was such a thing as too much hp. The only limitation that I have is how much is too much money to spend on the hp.
Team Outty 800 Member #4
Old 11-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Contributing Editor

Member #7
View LaMigraTx's Photo Gallery(0)
I think 800cc will be the limit, and you won't see anything over that. One reason as you stated too much HP for some people, and this will cast more of a negative light on the sport than it already has. Secondly, its illegal in some states to have a machine over 800ccs. Now after market products the sky is the limit on HP. Heck, they already have a 1,000cc kit for the BRP 800.

For me I didn't buy this machine for its HP, although it seems that way sometimes, this to me in my mind was the first machine to offer power, comfort, stability and handling all in one machine.
06 King Quad 700
07 Grizz 700EFI
07 SP 500EFI X2 Delx
jacobsatvmagazine
jacobsatvadventures
1stOutty800EFI TXOwnerJuly05
Old 11-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Member #2
View outlandish's Photo Gallery(211)
Quote:
the first machine to offer power, comfort, stability and handling all in one machine
Totally agreed!

Quote:
Secondly, its illegal in some states to have a machine over 800ccs.
What is interesting about this is it is not considered an ATV in MN if it is not UNDER 800cc's but mine is registered as an ATV.

Once you ride this 800,nothing else even compares. :thumb2:I get on my 400 Outty now and it is just boring to ride.

I have to disagree and say that we will see larger displacements and most likelyas early asthe 07 models. I think the guys that have the big bores now will want more power on their next bike.

Remember Polaris and Kaw do not like to be shown up by BRP and just look at where snowmobiles have gone......1000cc 2-strokes and 150hp 4-strokes
Old 11-13-2005, 10:59 AM

Member #98
View roaddog's Photo Gallery(0)
Never too much power for me! If they came out with a 1000cc I'm buy'in:dan:
2006 Viper Red 800 H.O. V-Twin EFI XT #206
Team Outty 800 Member #12
Build Date 09-2005
50" Moose County Plow & Fender Extentions
BRP Heated Grips & Thumb Throttle
Vip-air Windshield w/ 20 1/4" shield
Silverstar Ultra & ext. 55 Watt Xenon Lights
Ricochet Skid Plate,Front A-arms
27" Mudlite XTR\'s on SS 108 rims
4-Crutchfield stage 2 shocks
Odyssey PC 680 Battery
Old 11-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Supporting Member

Member #136
View NVR2L8's Photo Gallery(0)
I've been giving your question alot of thought and here is what I FEEL is a possible explanation for the desire for more HP, BIGGER, FASTER and so on.
I would like to preface my comments by stating that these are my thoughts and interpretations.

It's a Guy thing, we want to be different from all the other guys and it's PRIMAL. Only Men feel this way. We like to see ourselves as civilized, reasonable and maybe a little polished but just below the surface, it's still all about having the BEST, hell...being the best, the strongest, the fastest, I'm more capable than you.

Look at cordless tools for example. First there was the 7.2vdc, then a 9vdc, a 12, an 18 and now craftsman has a 24vdc. Do we really NEED a 24vdc cordless tool? I don't think so but lots of guys do.

How about the automotive industry? I had a Subaru WRX, loved it by the way. 227HP, 217 Torque. Top speed was software limited to 137.5 mph. More than enough to do whatever I wanted a car to do but that wasn't good enough for some, so Subaru came out with an STI version, 300HP, 300 Torque.

Most of the other big auto players are following suite with faster, more powerful cars and trucks. Do we need them? NO but we sure as Hell, do WANT them.
Why? just cus, that's why and that's all the reason most of us ever need.

The housing market. When was the last time you spotted a new home being built that was less than 2,300sq? You may find some but most are far larger.

As far as ATV's are concerned, 650cc would do the job for all but the most extreme.
I have a Quest 650 and it handles all the chores I give it with ease, a really great Utility ATV.
Until the 800 came out, I had no desire to replace it and I can't honestly justify replacing the 650 but it really isn't about that, is it.
Even as an 800cc machine, we are still looking for ways to squeeze a few mor HP out of it.
The only REAL limits are economic, can we afford it? What we impose on ourselves, yeah right self control and the Gov.

The simple answer is, " It just is what it is." No further explanation neccessary.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

Member #65
View zac41's Photo Gallery(29)
I feel that there are two factors that will limit how big the displacement gets on the motors on these machines. This goes for ATV's, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, you name it.

1. Show me the money!!!!!! How far they will push the envelope will depend on how far we are willing to right the check. Honestly how many of us 10 years ago would have said "I got no problem forking out $10K for an ATV". Once that handprint from the significant other left your right cheek, you would say wow thats a bunch of cabbage for playing.

Look at the motorcycle industry. You can get a brand new street bike for like $8K, maybe if you are a Harley man you can get a hog for $20K. Well then look at all the money people are shelling out for these custom choppers. Upwards of $150K for a damn chopper!

2. Size does matter... I think the only thing that will limit something is the size of the motor that will fit into the ATV. Will the limit be a Chevy 350ci motor sticking out 2 feet on both sides of my new Yamaha?

I feel that as long as someone will buy it, they will make it.:cents:
Team Outty 800 Member #4
Old 11-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Supporting Member

Member #151
View putt-putt's Photo Gallery(0)
Rumer has it Yamaha is all ready working on a new 850.
Current 800XT Team Outty member #16 & Suzuki Vinson--previously owned Honda 300 & Artic Cat 500 - Yamaha Tri Z 250
Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 AM

Member #90
View WestVirginiaRider's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via ICQ to WestVirginiaRider
:shrug: I think everyone here has said something that makes sense to me..... I think your all right!:tong:
Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 AM

Member #45
View turboman's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via AIM to turboman Send a message via MSN to turboman
Something I never could understand is why more HP costs more money. There really is no logical reason why it should, when you buy it new.

Examples: A 50hp outboards cost $XXX more than a 25hp motor. Same assembly time, advertising costs, and shipping costs. Both weigh virtually the same so material costs are probably alike.

Apparently it's purely a "marketing ploy". ATV's might have slightly more justification because of the heavier frame, but there are no additional engine costs 400 versus 800 for the same reasons as outboards.

Maybe the smaller outboards are losers, and the bigger ones greater profit pays the loss on the smaller ones. ...oh, the hell with it. That's life. :2cent:
800 MaxXT,25"XTR\'s.RAM GPS,Twin-Air, Ricochet,ELKA fronts,EBC pads,Kevlar cable,PIAA bulbs,grip-reinf\'s,Leeds hitch,Precision damper,1" Rr spacers,Iridium plugs,Rene\'wgts,OEM w/shield,OURY grips,WestCo coated muffler,Saeng mirrors,flares,AGM bat

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am / BRP
Remove Ads

Search tags for this page
atv with too much hp
how much horsepower is enough atv
is 11 hp on atv enough?

quest 650 head bolt torque

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.