Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need opinions on used outlander xt 650

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  dbj216 
#1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum and seriously considering buying a used 2007 can am outlander xt max 650. It's owned by an adult woman and has 4100 miles. Plastics are in nice shape, CV boots looked good. What is a reasonable offer for this? Is there anything I should look for? I linked the ad below, any help would be great! Thanks.

https://nh.craigslist.org/snw/6097625853.html

#2 · (Edited)
The price is about right.

Speaking from a fellow 2007 650 owner. The 2007's had some issues you need to be aware of.
1. Check to see if it has a "swollen radiator".
( Shine a light through it and make sure you can see lots of good clean light through the elements). the vent for the res was on the small side and it would create to much back pressure and swell the radiator. you can see the light shining good through it really well then it should be ok, but a mod to the res cap needs to be done.
2. Timing chain and guides,
All models prior to 2009 I believe had timing chains that would stretch, and the guide that puts tension on the chain is made of plastic (ya I know crazy right). You will need to take the valve covers off and look down in there and see if the auto tensioner is all the way out, if so then it's gonna run you a little over 300 to fix, that's if you do it yourself. The mileage that's on that machine I suspect the tensioner is all the way out or close to it. Bright side is the new parts are updated with a better chain and a metal guide.

That's the major stuff I encountered, the rest is common sense as far as worn parts etc.

Don't get me wrong I love my Cam Am and do all my own work. All my buddies that don't have a Can Am there machines don't even compare in power.

But I would say in hind sight if I knew then what I know now I would look for a 2009 or newer model, so all the early years bugs are worked out. And would have saved me some time and money.

Reactions: Muddin4lyfe
#3 ·
I have a 07 650 that I bought new. Fuel pump issues are the only other thing that wasn't mentioned above. New ones have issues too but I think the 07-08 were a little worse. Every 7,000 Kms or so I've had to put one in mine. Last one I put in was a aftermarket that cost me 100 bucks to do. No name brands can be had cheaper yet. Fuel pump assembly from can am is around 400. They're a solid workhorse. I have 20,000 Kms on mine. Cursing it right now as I'm doing my spring maintenance and repairs on it and everything seems to be fighting me this year but it'll be all good once I'm done again.

#4 ·
July 2016, 2006 Outlander Max for sale. Excellent condition with, if I recall correctly, 900 miles. It was used around the roads of a gated community. There was not only no surface dirt on the undercarriage, there wasn't even the after washing gray film spots...CLEAN. Tires were worn out, paved roads vice dirt! It didn't have winch and hand guards etc. Like the one you are looking at but it had a Can Am soft rack bag. It was advertised for $3500 and sold for $3200. To give you some perspective, I haven't seen one since that is a better deal, and I look regularly.

Pay attention to smooth shifting. The one-way bearings seem to be an issue. If you have to rev the engine or rock it to change gears with the shifter you have reason to ask for a price break. The dealer will charge about $250 to replace it.

This might help http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2007/Bombardier/OUTLANDER-MAX-650-XT-650cc

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
So... Changing my plans a bit and now looking for a newer machine. I Checked out a 2015 outlander max 650xt. Thing looks great, I took the advice that many of you said and gave it a real good look. Inside the air box was clean although the filter was dusty. Only 350 miles and 32 hours on it. I did notice there was a rattle coming from the muffler area at certain low rpms. The seller asking $8700, what do you guys think is a fair offer? No extras except a storage box on the back rack. Thanks for all the help and info on this forum, it has really helped me learn about these machines before buying.

#11 ·
Used ATVs are a crap shoot. You are wise to put more money into a newer machine. This one is certainly low hours. You probably asked all the standard questions. Do they add up? Why is it for sale? Who put the 32 hours on it? Was it used to pull stumps? The seller showed you solid evidence of proper maintenance. All functions and system work normally. Maybe you can have a tech inspect the thing before making an offer.

It looks great on the outside. You need to dig into the inside of this machine.

David

#12 ·
Used ATVs are a crap shoot. You are wise to put more money into a newer machine. This one is certainly low hours. You probably asked all the standard questions. Do they add up? Why is it for sale? Who put the 32 hours on it? Was it used to pull stumps? The seller showed you solid evidence of proper maintenance. All functions and system work normally. Maybe you can have a tech inspect the thing before making an offer.

It looks great on the outside. You need to dig into the inside of this machine.

Well I did ask some of those questions you mentioned, the seller said he bought an ATV to ride with his buddy but decided that ATVing is not for him and would rather ride his motorcycle. He didn't have any documentation on any of the maintenance as he said his friend that was a mechanic did the maintenance for him. I didnt feel comfortable ripping apart the side plastics without owning the bike so I didn't go into that. I got underneath it and front end was tight and the skid plate didn't even have a scratch on it. I do like the idea of having a tech check it out beforehand. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you all known how it turns out. If anyone has any more things to look for feel free to chime in! Thank you.

#14 ·
Congratulations! It looks new. And it likely cost much less than a new one. You're going to enjoy that machine a lot.

Except the maintenance. I tore my machine down today to change the oil and filter as well as several other maintenance tasks. Can Am's are a pain to work on for me. Maybe too much stuff in too small of a box. I bet you can't find all the grease zerks. Or how about the rear diff drain plug.

Keep us posted on your first ride and Can Am adventures.

David

#16 · (Edited)
Yep, just had it "serviced" and "everything works" are famous "get it sold" statements. Maybe the previous owner had the receipt showing what was "serviced".

You can easily see if the engine oil looks new. Judging by your description of the previous owner, I would ride it and enjoy it. I would do a complete service by the book in the near future, just so you know what fluids are in where. Then you can book a "complete service" at the hours noted on the machine for your records.

I just finished mine. What a joy. But I'll get better at it.

David

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Car

#18 · (Edited)
Hi muddin: Looks can be deceiving. The 'body parts', or plastics, come off kinda easily. They are held on by plastic "trim fasteners" that I like to call plastic reusable rivets as well as screws and bolts. You will need to go to your favorite auto parts store and get a plastic trim fastener removal tool. It looks like a nail puller. Then you get to play "find the fastener" as Can Am has them hidden here and there. Pull out the center pin and then the body of the rivet comes out. With the body parts off the machine, you can play "find the grease zerk" as they are in odd places and a bit difficult to get to. And finally you get to play "find the drain plug" on the front and rear drives. But as you learn it, it gets easier and easier like most things, except riding a unicycle. At least the very important air cleaner is easy to get at.

If an old fogie like me can do it, you can too. Have fun with your Can Am. That's the whole point, isn't it.

David

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.