Can-Am ATV Forum

Rear heated grips power help please

This is a discussion on Rear heated grips power help please within the Can-Am Outlander forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; Just bought some rear heated grips for my cargo box and I am wondering if there is an auxiliary power wire (ignition switched) somewhere at ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #7945
View ICE-FLO's Photo Gallery(0)
Rear heated grips power help please

Just bought some rear heated grips for my cargo box and I am wondering if there is an auxiliary power wire (ignition switched) somewhere at the rear of the machine. This is in order to avoid chasing wires from the front.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by QUADAHOLIC; 10-14-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Member #1127
View QUADAHOLIC's Photo Gallery(57)
You may need to go with a relay so you can run a larger size wire?

(Only one thread on the subject is needed, thanks.
Also got rid of that little annoying edit button, that was in your post.
)
Gave to stepson, without a ride for awhile.
ALEX JONES
Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 AM

Member #234
Location: Good fer' Nuthin', No 4-Whellin' Allowed, Florida, USA
View Muddbelly's Photo Gallery(0)
There is at the relay just under the right rear fender area. I don't remember which one exactly, but slap the ol' meter on the wires at the relay(s) and check it out.

I pulled power for a 100 watt reverse light from there, a relay activated fused circuit of course.

I would suggest using a relay and fuse for any additional accessories...but that's just me.
Heated Thumb Throttle and Grips- Custom Gun Scabbard Mount-
Fender Mud Guards- Custom Hand Guards-
1 1/2" Drawbar Receiver- GPS- Tamarack Quad Trunk-Crutchfield Stage 2 Shocks Front and Rear- Inner and Outer Rear Aluminum CV Boot Protectors- Custom Stainless Heat Guards Around Trans.(These are the ticket!)- 100W Reverse and 110w/135w Silverstar Headlamps- Odyssey Battery-
Quick Connect Battery Jump Connection-
- Aaen Mega Power Pipe- More on the way!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 AM

Member #7945
Yeah, you guys are right about the necessity of the use of a relay. My 500 Max has BRP front heaters installed by my dealer. My 800 max ltd I've just installed the BRP front heaters myself a couple of weeks ago. I guess I've lucked out with having a machine with them installed already and could use that as an example on how it is done properly and eliminating any guesswork. The LTD came with a GPS installed from the factory as part of the LTD package. As I've already had a gps unit which is better than the one which came with the machine, I've removed the factory one right after I bought the machine so the auxiliary power plug just became freed up for my heated grips. Trouble is that the wires on that plug are too small a gage for the heaters in my opinion, I think they are about 18ga. at best and I've noticed that the heated grips don't get as hot as the ones on the 500, and they also take a lot longer to come to temp as compared to the ones on the 500.
So I guess the better solution is probably to use that auxiliary plug to power my relay, since it is ignition switched power anyway, and then power both the front and rear heaters from the ign switched relay. I guess I now have no choice but to run the wires from front to back of the machine.
Since the kimpex box is too large, I've had to remove the factory rear passenger handles... this also implied I couldn't use the BRP rear heated handles, so I bought the kimpex ones which were designed for the boxes I have.
What I am also wondering is did BRP make provisions for plug and play rear heated grips like they did with the front ones, or would the dealership have to use the method described earlier to connect them? "cause if they did, and if I knew where the plug is at the back of the machine, I could use that to power up these heaters. Unfortunately I do not have a wiring diagram/schematic for the machines.
Also my Kimpex box came with LED tail lights (which at this time aren't hooked up). Is there a plug on the factory harness for them lights, or would I have to splice into the existing tail light wiring harness to make that connection?
Is the ground on these machines positive, or negative?
Sorry for the long post and I really appreciate your advice.
Thanks again so much for your help
Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Member #2351
View UNDRPSI's Photo Gallery(0)
Just picked up my passenger heated grips and it gets pluged in up by the shifter. There is a black accessory housing up by the front shifter mount bolt. That is what the BRP passenger hand grips use.
Member #288
2010 800 Max XT (SOLD)
2013 Maverick XMR 1/2”skid plates & Arm gaurds, Sport doors, Harness bar, Crow Harness, Sport switch, Rear bumper, AirDam clutch, 26.5 PitBull tires, Front gusset kit, rear windscreen, Half windshield, Harden Full windshield, Painted Aluminum roof. Power Steering
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM

Member #7945
Thanks undrpsi I will peel off the plastic and look for it.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Member #7945
Quote: Originally Posted by UNDRPSI View Post
Just picked up my passenger heated grips and it gets pluged in up by the shifter. There is a black accessory housing up by the front shifter mount bolt. That is what the BRP passenger hand grips use.
Peeled the plastics and could not find this accessories plug by the shifter. Are you talking about the accessories plug in the speedo pod by chance? What does the plug look like, what color are the wires going to it, do you have a pic?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 PM

Member #2351
I too looked for about 30 mins. couldnt find the one there were talking about. So I guess they are talking about the acc. one that if you already have headed grips you plug in the passenger one then it to the driver ones. That's what I ended up doing and they work fine. Wish the direction would have said this in the first place. One thing about the heated passenger grips. Make sure you install the spacers that you take out of the stock ones! These are a must have Item. (Don't Ask) You might have to also gently squeeze the grips to get the bolt started, but make sure the spacer is installed.
Member #288
2010 800 Max XT (SOLD)
2013 Maverick XMR 1/2”skid plates & Arm gaurds, Sport doors, Harness bar, Crow Harness, Sport switch, Rear bumper, AirDam clutch, 26.5 PitBull tires, Front gusset kit, rear windscreen, Half windshield, Harden Full windshield, Painted Aluminum roof. Power Steering
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM

Member #7945
Quote: Originally Posted by UNDRPSI View Post
One thing about the heated passenger grips. Make sure you install the spacers that you take out of the stock ones! These are a must have Item. (Don't Ask) You might have to also gently squeeze the grips to get the bolt started, but make sure the spacer is installed.
Nut sure which spacers you are referring to.
I am guessing you are talking about the tubular metal spacers which are necessary for the install on the REAR factory BRP grips. If so, I agree 100%. In my case, I did not buy the BRP ones for the rear (only the fronts are BRP on both my machines).
Due to the size of my "wraparound" kimpex cargo box, I've had to completely remove and discard the passenger factory grips because of clearance issues with the box check out the picture Picasa Web Albums - ice.flo.atv.
The cargo box has its own grips for the passenger. This box has "optional" heated grips which I am working on installing now, which are fitted in place of the non-heated ones that came with the box. I was assuming that regardless of which heated grips one gets, they should all connect electrically in the same place, and I was hoping that spot would have been at the rear of the machine somewhere.
But I guess I'll just hook it up at the front acc. connector along with the other one and get it over with.
Thanks a lot for your help again.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Member #2351
Nope. Nothing in the rear. The BRP ones come with a harness that has to be run to the front also. You think that they would have looked ahead and had a acc in the rear for this reason. Less chance of chafing on something. How's that box working out for you? Looks good. passenger must like the fact that they have a arm rest.
Member #288
2010 800 Max XT (SOLD)
The Following User Says Thank You to UNDRPSI For This Useful Post:
ICE-FLO (10-20-2009)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Search tags for this page

2 up passenger heated hand grips

2 up rear heated grips

2013 outlander heated grips passenger
best place for auxiliary power on can am maverick
can am cargo boxes with heated grips

can am heated grips wiring diagram

heated grips for passenger
how to hook up kimpex passenger seat brake light wires on can-am outlander
how to install brp electric hand grips
how to install passenger heated grips on brp backrest

how to install passenger heated grips on can am outlander max 800

kimpex passenger hand grips

outlander auxilary power wire

outlander max trunk box with hand heater

who makes the can-am aux power connector

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.