Can-Am ATV Forum

Flooded Engine

This is a discussion on Flooded Engine within the Can-Am Outlander forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; You need to pick the front of the bike up in the air and drain the exhaust system. When the bike quits the exhaust fills ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #7413
View cam2010's Photo Gallery(2)
You need to pick the front of the bike up in the air and drain the exhaust system. When the bike quits the exhaust fills up and as you crank it over the water runs back in thru the exhaust valve every time it opens.
I have had this happen a few times but if you drain the exhaust right away you can get away with about 2 oil changes to flush it.
The best way is to flip it straight up onto the back rack.
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Member #5779
View leon's Photo Gallery(0)
Hey when you flush out your engine you should fill it with Marvel mystery oil first and crank over. It blends with the water, then drain right away. Repeat steps, only use 3/4-2/3 of mystery oil and the balance of oil with cheap oil, no use in spending top dollar on oils when your not actually riding the machine. Keep repeating the steps and lessen the amount of mystery oil. Also change out the oil filter 2 or 3 times. On your last change replace filter and then use a good quality synthetic oil. I myself use Amsoil, i've changed all my vic's oil and gone with Amsoil. Also change the plugs, air filter, and tilt the machine back to drain the water out of the exhaust. Hope this helps lindsaylisa.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 PM

Member #6384
View SGTCap's Photo Gallery(0)
I ended up having to rebuild my engine when I drowned it. These machines run an automotive style crank and rod bearing that are pretty easy to tear up with water and mud. I hope you dont have to tdo the same. I was fortunate to catch it before I destroyed the crank. Cranks are $1300.

If the water you got in there was at all muddy or sandy I would start tearing it down. Its cheaper in the long run than replacing the crank.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 PM

First Name: 2008 Can Am 800 Outlander XT 2 UP
Member #8677
View texdot5's Photo Gallery(0)
flooded engine

I want to thank everyone for all of their feed backs and trust me, my life would of been hell if it was not for listening to you guys! Luckly the mud hole we normally play in was full of clear water due to the recent rains instead of merky , muddy water. I did though use a product called "Seafoam" instead of Mystery oil and it worked awsome, not to say the mystery oil would not have worked just as great. I also took oil samples inbetween changes to verify the residual water in the oil.23 quarts of oil later, 800 Outie XT is running just as good as before !!! if you combine what everyone told me and perform them while workin on the bike, you should come out gerat in teh end.. I posted a picture under my profile of my yellow submarine.

Last edited by texdot5; 02-09-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM

Member #8082
View cubby's Photo Gallery(5)
Yellow Sub, that should be your new name LOL. Glad to hear every thing worked out for you in the end just hope you don't do it again

2008 outty 800xt, with bighorns on ITP ss212's, renny foot pegs, and skids, HMF pipe and K&N filter
2001 summit 700 144"
2012 skidoo summit 800 etec
2013 Polaris 850xp with some goodies

Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 AM

First Name: 2008 Can Am 800 Outlander XT 2 UP
Member #8677
View texdot5's Photo Gallery(0)
I am sure this is related to the flooding of the engine but just not sure what is causing it. After friving approx 10 miles last Dunday, Al of a sudden, the 800 outie just died. No sputtering, no jerking just came to a slow crawl and stopped! I would keep hitting the throttle and yet no engine. I let it sit for 10 seconds and it would start right up and run approx 50 yards. I would let it sit 2 minutes and it would run for approx 100 yards. and then shut off and come to a crawling stop again. Not sure if its was getting no gas through the fuel filter or electronic problem. All of the dash lights stayed on just no engine. Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Member #8867
View brutewing's Photo Gallery(3) Send a message via ICQ to brutewing
Quote: Originally Posted by Smiffracing View Post
Should have given her hell! I was cruising down a side channel of the river by my house a week ago. Maybe 2 feet deep in the deepest spot, or so I thought! I was in 4X4 and cruising along just like 10-15 MPH. Next thing I know my front end dips and I can't see the bottom at all! I was in it too far to brake and back out so I did what seemed normal to me, Pinned it! I didn't know what would happen but I didn't have alot of options. It had about 3 feet of traction on the back tires before I was totally afloat! That thing was staying on top of the water and was actually propelling forward! It then stood straight up in a wheelie and was going over! I bailed off the back thinking that I could touch bottom and give it a little push. Wrong! Water up to my neck and I still can't touch bottom so I figured what the hell, Punch it again! by this time it was sunk about to the seat with the front end sitting higher than the back by about a foot. I had one hand on the throttle and one hand on the rear rack and was kicking my feet as hard as possible with what was now about 200 pound carhart bibs and snow packs! It just kept going! I made it overall about 30 feet across water till my belt finally slipped about 4 feet from the bank. A couple of buddies grabbed the front bumper and I stood up in only about 3 feet of water. We made it! They lifted the rear end and I gave her some gas and dried the belt and off I went, heading a few miles back home into the 15 degree snowing night! It was the most amazing thing I and a few of my friends ever witnessed! My Outty does have some work to it and great tires. It was so sweet that I have thoughts of trying it again but on Film.
THAT SOUNDS AWESOME I WANT THE YOUTUBE LINK LOL

Me and my wife atving in HAWAII. this is where they filmed parts on jurassic park. This was awesome anyone else atved in hawaii
2012 800 MAX YELLOW BECAUSE IT IS FASTER, 2" rox riser, 26" bighorns on 14" climax motosport rims, BRP storage box ,,right and left mirrors
1985 350X TRIKE (faster than my outlander)
1998 harley davidson road glide
2003 GOLDWING
2008 DIXIE CHOPPER (MY PRIDE AND JOY 12MPH)
PAST QUADS
2005 750 BRUTE FORCE
2005 650 HONDA RINCON
2005 KFX 700
1993 220 KAWASAKI
1985 90cc kawasaki dirt bike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Search tags for this page
can am flooded engine
dry out flooded a 800 2001 skidoo
flooded atv
flooded atv engine
flooded can am outlander
flooded four wheeler engine
flooded motor on wildcat 1000
flooded out atv

how to fix a flooded four wheeler

how to fix your can am when its flooded

how to start a flooded four wheeler

how to start a four wheeler flooded engine
water in atv motor
what to do if you water flood a can-am 1000 outlander
when i do a wheelie four wheeler floods
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.