Can-Am ATV Forum

Outty 800R XT Engine will not turn over

This is a discussion on Outty 800R XT Engine will not turn over within the Can-Am Outlander forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; Ok, I am kinda freaking out and here is my story. Took my wife and new to me 09 Outty 800 up a hill. Got ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #8682
View d1726's Photo Gallery(0)
Outty 800R XT Engine will not turn over

Ok, I am kinda freaking out and here is my story. Took my wife and new to me 09 Outty 800 up a hill. Got up the hill, rolled the bike from the top to the bottom, around 10 full rolls. My Outty was still running while lying on it's top at the bottom of the hill, might have ran for 1/2 to 2 min max while upside down before dying. After turning the bike over onto it's wheels it will not crank. Gauges work and i can hear the electronics kicking on when turning the key on. The engine just wont turn over. While doing some poking around i found the cluster where the starter button is located will spin on the handle bars. I guess my real question is where might i look and what kinda damage might have been done while running upside down? Can anyone recommend a good place to find cheaper OEM parts?

The key was bent in the accident would that cause my problem?

Thanks,
D
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Member #650
View Smiffracing's Photo Gallery(0)
I would say that the key is probably the main reason for not starting. The Can-am keys have a very low tolerance for slop in the ignition. You will hear the electronics kick on but it will not fire if that key isn't reading. It's very important that after rolling like that and sitting on its top for that long, check all your fluids!!! I imagine it pumped a bunch of oil out in your air box through the crank case breather while on its top! It is quite a messy job cleaning it all out! As for parts, this site has quite a bit of guys that are salvaging outlanders or have pulled the motors and selling parts. Also E-bay, but there are alot of scammers in the four wheeler business. Good luck! Hope you get it all back together and scooting soon.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM

First Name: Bob
Member #8166
View TrapperBob's Photo Gallery(0)
If it was 2 min on its back that means the engine may have been starved of oil for a good portion of that time. Will the engine turn over with the pull start. If it will not turn over that way you may be looking at some motor work. Keep you fingers crossed that I am wrong and that the prior posts are right. Good luck.

TrapperBob
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Member #7413
View cam2010's Photo Gallery(2)
You need to pull the spark plugs and see if there is oil on top of the pistons causing hydraulic lock. I think it should still crank over if the key is bent but it won't fire up cause there'll be no spark.
It should idle for 2 mins with no oil pressure without siezing up. If it was running at high rpm it won't last long.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Member #8682
View d1726's Photo Gallery(0)
it was only an idle, and it will not crank or turn over. I planned on pulling the plugs and looking for oil on top of the pistons, I also planned to change the oil. just kinda worried me that my mean machine will not turn over. I have not seen a pull start. Are pull starts equipped on an 800? Had not thought to check the air filter. thx for the info. I still have a week or better of healing before i get to look at it.

Thx again for the replies.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Member #9192
View jonnyrotten's Photo Gallery(5)
There is no pull starter on mine '09 outy 800R. Sorry to here about your accident. you could pull the plugs and try to turn it over with the clutch by hand to see if does turn over. The broken key since it's programed my be broken ?
good luck.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 PM

First Name: Infantrymen, mountainbiker, welder, certified toyota tech
Member #8470
View redwar1441's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via AIM to redwar1441
hydrolocked on oil is the most probable cause. BUt get the key fixxed too.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 PM

Member #5691
View Honda4x4500's Photo Gallery(0)
Sorry to hear about the rollover, but my 2009 800 did the same thing to me when I stopped for a rest. 2 trips to 2 different dealers and it still won't start until it wants to. The last time it did it, I jumped across the selinoid with the screw driver and she fired up.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Supporting Member

Member #240
View Kraker's Photo Gallery(0)
Its the key. Carefully bend it back straight and hit the start button . There's a broken wire (actually a thin flat piece of metal)coming from the metal on the key shaft up to a "chip" in the main body of the key.The broken ends will connect when u bend the key back to straight, allowing it to start. U can probably use it like that for a long time but to be cautious, u can peel the key apart & solder the ends together if you're handy, or buy a new one & get it programmed, or do both & have a spare.
I wouldnt worry about the upside down thing too much... it's done.But u should check your air box to see if it pumped a bunch of oil in there (might not have). If it did, your filter may have oil on it, and if a bunch of oil went into the airbox & then back into the engine, it's probably dirty now so change it (unless your airbox was sparkly clean).
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Member #650
View Smiffracing's Photo Gallery(0)
The 800's don't have a pull rope start! Even if they did, you would have to be the worlds strongest man to pull it! And it would have to be synthetic winch rope so it wouldn't break! I think it is your key! They are way finicky! Even with the wrong key it does exactly what your talking about. Any key will cycle the EFI but then when you hit the starter button it just blanks out like as if your battery was dead. It has to be flashed through the B.U.D.s system to the specific machine. If there is any slop in the ignition and not great contact then it won't work. Good Luck! Having a your wheeler down is like having your leg broke. Sure you can get around a bit, but your not happy!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Search tags for this page
4 wheeler will not turn over

atv upside down engine ok

bombardier outlander 800 wont turn over

can am 1000 wont turn over

can am outlander 1000xt engine wont turn

can am outlander roll over switch

can am renegade wont turn over

can-am 800xt wont turn over

can-am outlander wantturn over when engine hot

canam800 will not crankover

four wheeler wont turn over

my quad was running upside down
polaris four wheeler wont turn over but gauges work
rollover shut down switch can am atv

starter not turning on can am atv engine

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.