Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My battery keeps dying

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  t21 
#1 ·
I got a outlander 500 and my battery died on me and I haven't done any winching or anything. I saw that the plus cable was disconnected when I took it off, so I charged it and put it back on with both cables securely connected and died on me again! What do I do to fix this?!

#3 ·
Brand spankin' new, got it 2 months ago. By the way when I did charge it there was barely enough charge to start it, I ran it for about 2 minutes before I turned it off and just woulnd't start back up. Does the battery charge if I run it for longer? Should I have charged the battery till it was fully charged?

#5 ·
I would also like to add that the day after I got it I had to charge it, but it did get to ten below zero that night. As a matter of fact I had to charge it every day until it got warmer , so much so that after a while I decided to bring the battery inside for the night so I wouldn't have to charge it again in the morning. I wish I had a garage. Anyways does repeated charging shorten the battery's life?

#6 ·
Better to fully charge the battery and if it dies again, warranty will replace battery or fix a voltage/charging problem on the bike if required. A battery should be kept fully charged and if it goes flat in a couple of weeks whatever the temperature, something is wrong.

#8 ·
Batteries that are discharged, for whatever reason, will die if frozen. So... the battery when new was discharged, why we don't know. Then it most certainly froze. So now it's useless. You cannot bring back a battery that has frozen. See if they will replace it under warranty. A normal battery, when fully charged, will not freeze even at ten below.

Tom

#11 ·
You sure it's the battery? Does the Outty start when you hook it up with jumper cables? Is the liquid level full? What's the voltage running Vs.off? Are the sides bulged out on the battery? As a fellow Alaskan, I've froze many a battery, sometimes it does destroy them, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.