Can-Am ATV Forum

Engine bogging out @ 3/4 - WOT

This is a discussion on Engine bogging out @ 3/4 - WOT within the Can-Am Outlander forums, part of the Can-Am ATV Discussion category; Went out for a ride today and my outty started bogging out, it idles fine but when i give it some throttle it bogs down ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #16210
View Bc800outlander's Photo Gallery(0)
Engine bogging out@3/4-WOT-Rod Bearing??

Went out for a ride today and my outty started bogging out, it idles fine but when i give it some throttle it bogs down and cuts out, the power would turn off every time it bogged(i know this cause my gps hooked up to the 12v plug would turn off and on every time) so i stopped and checked the oil, pulled the pod off and checked all the plugs and wires and put it back together, it continued to do it for a bit and then it was fine for the rest of the day, then it did it a couple more times towards the end of the ride but was fine all the way back to the truck at WOT on the gravel road.
I tried searching but cant find anything really, im hoping is just some bad gas but i dont really see it cause it was fine last weekend.
Any ideas??
Mine-06 Can-am Outlander 800 xt, 26" mudlite xl, Full Ricochet skidplates, moose hand/thumb warmers, Garmin 60cx gps with ram mount, BRP windscreen, frame mod, Front BRP HD springs, 1/2 front pipe lift on front, BRP Rear cargo box.
Hers-07 Can-am Outlander 400, Swamp Lites, Gun rack(soon to be on mine), Snow Plow
06 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Sold-04 Polaris Sportsman 600
Sold-05 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Last edited by Bc800outlander; 06-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

First Name: The Great Waldo Pepper, heh heh heh.
Member #5509
Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,348 Posts
View rkc05's Photo Gallery(562)
Battery fine and batttery terminals tight? Fuel pump, pressure should be 51 psi or higher, if not new pump.
Gone to new home---09, 800 Outy MAX XT, 29.5 Outlaws s/w, ITP ss108's, snorked, XMR-BRP rad re-locate, ///AIRDAM CV tech primary, Dalton Y/B secondary spring, HMF Swamp Series slip on, Rubberdown Lift, Ricochet Skids, ATR chassis spine, and a mirror just to not get to far ahead.
http://www.youtube.com/user/julieandwally/videos?view=0
The Following User Says Thank You to rkc05 For This Useful Post:
Bc800outlander (06-11-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 PM

Member #16210
Ya im sure the terminals are tight, i just did the reverse override mod a couple weeks ago and then used the factory override switch to hook up a horn. I road the quad the last weekend for 3 days while camping and it was fine.
Mine-06 Can-am Outlander 800 xt, 26" mudlite xl, Full Ricochet skidplates, moose hand/thumb warmers, Garmin 60cx gps with ram mount, BRP windscreen, frame mod, Front BRP HD springs, 1/2 front pipe lift on front, BRP Rear cargo box.
Hers-07 Can-am Outlander 400, Swamp Lites, Gun rack(soon to be on mine), Snow Plow
06 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Member #16210
Where is the best place to check for proper fuel pressure?
06 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 AM

Member #16210
I didnt mention this before because i didnt think it was related but its also become hard to start, i think when its hot, cant remember if its hard when its cold. Sometimes it takes me pushing the start button a couple times, sorta like a weak battery. After reading a few other posts on here i have pretty much scared the sh!t out of myself thinking its the rod bearings
What do you guys think?
06 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 AM

First Name: I am a Student at the Culinary Institute of America. And I pretty much kick ass and take names.
Member #12063
View Lewis's Photo Gallery(0)
actually i dont think thats a rod bearing, but more of your piston rings, or you overheated your engine and the cylinders expanded/warped. But prob rings.
My thought is if it is having trouble starting when its hot(which usually is the opposite where it starts better hot) then your losing pressure past the rings, meaning when its hot, the cylinder expands, thus making the gap bigger and losing even more pressure. When its cold, the cylinder walls are not expanded and therefore tighter and able to hold pressure. get a flashlight and look in the spark plug holes to see if theres major scoring in there or if there is any black/ aka oil escaping tot he top of the cylinder and burning. has your machine been burning oil at all? Also get one of those cheap compression testers and check your compression, see if its good, and make sure!!! that both cylinders are about the same pressure! and that they both are firing. a missfire can also cause these symptoms.

I am no engine mechanic but thats my deduction.

Now as far as it cutting out... could be related to the problem above, but it does nto seem as likely..
I would say it is most likely the fuel pressure. NOW it may not be the pump, check the fuel filter to make sure its not plugged, and/or just take off all the fuel lines and blow em out to make sure nothing s stuck in them. Use and air compressor or something. Not sure how to check fuel pressure on atv's... i know how to on cars? lol

On lets say... weed wackers, and small engines, when I have that same problem it usually is the carburetor or the fuel line, carburetor is plugged up or whatever..
I know the atv is efi, but check your injectors, to make sure they are not plugged as well, if you have a tuner on your quad where you can check A/F ratio that would be good too, just to make sure your spot on, you could take it to the dealer and have em plug in to the ecm also for that.

lets seee...... what else... oh rod bearings..! uhh when the engines running do you hear clunking/knocking? not from the cvt, but from the engine? if yoy dont then the bearings are fine.
hers a vid of what bad bearings look like

heres one of the actual sound

those are EXTREME cases... but hey, its shows what to look for with out a shadow of a doubt.

Hope if not that!!!! if it is replace them NOWWWWWW do not run the machine any longer and cause more damage, cracking open rotax engines is easy, if your a little mechanically inclined, just write everything down and take lots of video for reference when putting back together.

Hope this helps!, please also listen to other opinions because I am no engine mechanic, but I am good at tracking problems.

Good luck Dude!

No quad at the moment, too poor, but its in my future.

I did have a 2000 Ski doo mxz x 800 sled a while ago but I ran into college expenses and had to sell it =( it was my baby.... That will be replaced sometime soon too =D

Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Member #17808
View 2manyprojects's Photo Gallery(0)
whats the inside of your airbox look like, reason I ask is I'm having the same symptoms but the hard starting when hot is only occasional. Im getting alot of air and oil coming in from my pcv. At only 100 hours its hard to believe. I change the oil actually more often than manufacturer recomends. Havent pulled the spark plug yet but will today thanks to this post. Also I see that lewis recommends a compression check, is he talking a leakdown test? I will try and locate someone with a tester and try this myself. never fails 2 days before TGW and it wants to do this. well I'll keep an eye on your post and hopefully we both get our machines running better.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM

First Name: I am a Student at the Culinary Institute of America. And I pretty much kick ass and take names.
Member #12063
Compression tests and leak down tests are 2 different things, both are VERY useful tools if you know what to do and what to look for.

Thers a guy in youtube called "ericthecarguy" who gives a good example of both if you want more info on each, plus about everything else you can imagine.

heres his channel
EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

Here is the leakdown test on his channel

here is the vid on compression test

Hope this helps =D check out his other vids too... they may provide some insight on your problems...? dont know, I havent looked through em all.

but also for reference there is 2 other people on youtube I use for references on small engines. here is the their channels, VERY smart people.

donyboy73 - YouTube

backwoodsctryboy - YouTube

I did have a 2000 Ski doo mxz x 800 sled a while ago but I ran into college expenses and had to sell it =( it was my baby.... That will be replaced sometime soon too =D

Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Member #16210
Quote: Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
actually i dont think thats a rod bearing, but more of your piston rings, or you overheated your engine and the cylinders expanded/warped. But prob rings.
My thought is if it is having trouble starting when its hot(which usually is the opposite where it starts better hot) then your losing pressure past the rings, meaning when its hot, the cylinder expands, thus making the gap bigger and losing even more pressure. When its cold, the cylinder walls are not expanded and therefore tighter and able to hold pressure. get a flashlight and look in the spark plug holes to see if theres major scoring in there or if there is any black/ aka oil escaping tot he top of the cylinder and burning. has your machine been burning oil at all? Also get one of those cheap compression testers and check your compression, see if its good, and make sure!!! that both cylinders are about the same pressure! and that they both are firing. a missfire can also cause these symptoms.

I am no engine mechanic but thats my deduction.

Now as far as it cutting out... could be related to the problem above, but it does nto seem as likely..
I would say it is most likely the fuel pressure. NOW it may not be the pump, check the fuel filter to make sure its not plugged, and/or just take off all the fuel lines and blow em out to make sure nothing s stuck in them. Use and air compressor or something. Not sure how to check fuel pressure on atv's... i know how to on cars? lol

On lets say... weed wackers, and small engines, when I have that same problem it usually is the carburetor or the fuel line, carburetor is plugged up or whatever..
I know the atv is efi, but check your injectors, to make sure they are not plugged as well, if you have a tuner on your quad where you can check A/F ratio that would be good too, just to make sure your spot on, you could take it to the dealer and have em plug in to the ecm also for that.

lets seee...... what else... oh rod bearings..! uhh when the engines running do you hear clunking/knocking? not from
If the rings where gone wouldnt it be burning alot of oil and smoking like crazy? This really sucks , I started out thinking this was going to be something simple like a fuel filter and maybe a battery but the more I read it sounds like im going to be ripping the whole engine apart or paying the dealership alot of money. I thought with only 130h i was going to be safe for a while

Thanks for the suggestions tho, and keep them coming
06 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Member #12063
Dont get your head down just yet! Do some detective work BEFORE you start tearing stuff apart! =D

And if the rings where shot it may...blow out smoke, if the rings are REALLY bad.. it could be a smaller leak and not gotten to that point yet. plus every motor smokes to a certain extent, especially on a cold start.

Just start with the simple things, then work your way in more if it doesn't solve the problem.

=D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Search tags for this page
05 raptor 660 bogs out when throttle is pushed hard

2000 mxz bogging on full throttle

2000 mxz bogs when i open the throttle

bombardier rotax bogging out at wot

can am 400 efi bogs out

can am 400 fuel filter video
can-am bogging out

engine cuts out when backing polaris sportsman atv

raptor 660 bogging at high throttle

raptor 660 bogs down and cracks
raptor 660 missfire at full throttle
skidoo mxz 440 bogging down at full throttle but good at 3/4 throttle
wat could cuz my polaris sportsman to bog when wide open
why does my quad start to bog out in reverse

will spark plug make polaris ranger 400 smoke

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.