Heat wrap the entire exhaust? - Can-Am ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Heat wrap the entire exhaust?

Is it worth the extra effort to remove the plastics and heat shield and wrap the exhaust behind the heat shield to help with the heat on my leg? I have a 2016 1000 xt and it gets a tad warm on the left side. The right side doesn't get hot at all. I was planning on putting the reflective dei tape on the inside of the plastics on the left side and at least wrapping the slip on, but was curious if I could justify the extra work of removing all of the exhaust to wrap it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 12:48 PM

Have not done it my self, but know a few guys that have. Yes it works great for absorbing heat. But you run the chance of your pipes rusting out prematurely due to the wrap holding moisture when the pipe is not hot. I have seen pipes rust through cause of this on snow machines.

2007 Outlander 650
Kenda Bear claw HTR tires
LED aux lights
Dalton "tan" spring in the primary.
High performance larger radiator.
Custom skid plates.
2" suspension spacer lift.
Renegade foot pegs.
Rotella T6 for oil
Amsoil in the diff's and tranny.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 12:50 PM

Rusts really nice if you run in mud.

Renegade 1000 X XC, Full Muzzys Exhaust, Flexx Bars, Ricochet A arm skids Hayden Fan Mod!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Garage
You won't need to wrap if you use D.E.I. Heat and Tunnel II material. I have it on both sides of my XMR and do not have heat shields nor have I wrapped my exhaust....Another thing to consider adding is doing the "fan mod" or hayden fan controller. I also did the "fan mod" and I don't have any heat issues.

2015 Outlander XMR 1000
BRP Extreme Bumper
BRP Trunk
BRP Passenger Seat
Ricochet Skids (Black Anodized)
Full Muzzy Dual Exhaust
Power Commander V

VForceJohn Tune
Race Driven Brake Pads
Fan Mod
Wetsounds 10" Stealth Sound Bar
post #5 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I saw your thread. I was trying to get something done on this tomorrow because we are riding Sunday. No one around here sells the tunnel insulation. I bought some tape. May just try that first. The heat isn't unbearable, I am just being a little picky. lol
post #6 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 01:30 PM

Garage
Do the fan mod, it will take longer to find a switch then it will to do the mod. I turn on my fan when the coolant temp hits about 180 degrees or the first time the fan comes on and leave it on while I'm riding. Coolant temp will stay under 175 degrees even on the hottest days. I have a stock 1000 XT that got hot on the left as well but now that I can keep the fan going and air circulating the heat off the exhaust is no longer an issue.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 PM

YES, YES, YES, Wrap your exhaust if you want your bike to run cooler. I have the fan mod and I wrapped the exhaust. Hands down the exhaust wrap did more than the fan mod.

Other recommend removing the thermostat, fuel programer and a high flow slip on. There is also some expensive radiator fluid you can use to help with temps.

-2016 Outalander XT-P 1000, Can-Am Snorkle, 30 inch Blackwater EVO's, Rev-X Primary Clutch, LINQ Basket and 12 Gal Cargo Box, Tiger Tail, 2 inch lift.
-2013 King Quad 750, Bumpers, Coop Clutch mod 3+, VDI, Injector, 27 inch BearClaw HTR's
-2013 Yamaha Grizzly 550 - Just SOLD to make room for the Can-Am
post #8 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 03:50 PM

If I were to but or owned the new 1000 motor first thing I'd do I'd a slip on aftermarket pipe and fuel controller..that'd help alot with exhaust heat..then if still needed I'd wrap or ceramic coat the header
post #9 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 06:13 PM

i think its more your cvt exhaust blowing over your engine exhaust and right down to your left side leg. take your panel off and take off the elbow that forces it over the exhaust pipe and to your leg, put panel on without the elbow and drive it, you will see what i mean. you have a 2016 machine like i do and there is no reason why we should have to be wrapping pipes and doing fan mods??
post #10 of 25 Old 08-19-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, just started the tear down and I agree with skeeter... Dumb on can-am's part for this to be a necessity. I have 3 header bolts left and I will finish pulling them in the morning when I can lift the bike. Skeeter, did you remove that elbow for the cvt exhaust? Is that the one that everyone snorkels up to the top? As far as the mechanical difficulty, this isn't terrible compared to some things I have done. It just sucks that it needs to be done on such an expensive bike. I plan to completely wrap the exhaust, heat tape the inside plastics, and potentially do the fan mod if someone will tell me where the relay box is on my bike. I may wait on the fan mod if I have to remove my front racks and plastics.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode