Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear Differential

17K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Angore 
#1 ·
Anyone know any good places to get a new rear diff cause i think i am in need of one lol.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
i had been riding all day and i guess it was hot and i rode up a sand hill and my tires hoped and my left tire grabbed the side of the hill. them 30 inch backs probably didnt help

#7 ·
I just replaced my ring and pinion gear along with the bearing behind the pinion and a new pinion oil seal and it cost me around $500, and yes I compared quite a few diffs, they are all 32 tooth I think.... And I compared the part numbers off can am web site and they match for quite a few years back.... All the sizes that is (500, 650, 800, & 1,000), hope this helps, good luck....

#8 ·
Well.... I started the 800 max rear diff rebuild yesterday.
Got it out yesterday.
Spent 2 hours looking for a large socket at pawn shops today. Had to suck it up and bought a socket to customize and hack down to make a spanner to fit the input pinion nut.
And
What a PIA... and it took at least 3 hours to cut and test fit...
Cut and test fit...
Cut and test fit...
Cut and test fit....
x50. I had to get it right the first time though...

BTW.... The pinion nut is left handed thread...and extremely tight.... It took a Snap-On 1/2 inch drive impact wrench to remove it.

Here are some photos...

Found that the large main input bearing is bad and rumbles when spun by hand.

I got a All Balls Bearing rebuild kit from eBay and sure hope it works.

Attachments

#9 ·
Hey diesel dad , I got a 2010 max , I just replace my rear diff also , silverback 30 in tires also , I am here in Clayton nc , ride a lot at busco beach , so I have a rear diff with a good ring gear except for a small chip or 2 . But my pinion gear was sharped and the teeth started breaking and cracking off !!! Can you buy the spanner from performance east ? I might want to get together so I can fix mine also so I have a back up rear diff , thanks mike

#10 ·
Thanks securityman...
Not sure about getting it from performance south.. I just hacked one out of a new socket....I got it to work though. You can come down to sanford and use it here if you want. Next time I go to Busco i'll let you know. We also go to Soggy Bottom in Orangeburg, SC...it's a long 4 hr drive for a Saturday ride but I've done it twice already and had a flat blast. We're getting a local hotel next time after the ride. Your welcome to tag along!

Now on to the rest of the story...

I got the kit out and during installation have run into a problem.
The small needle bearing for the input shaft is the wrong size and doesn't work at all.
The one in my diff is a Torrington BH-912.
The one in the kit has the number 898 (or 868) on it and it has a smaller outside diameter and is shorter in length.

On top of that, the main shaft output left and right sides has two different size bearings. The kit has two 6007 bearings of the same size but my differential has one 6007 and one 6207 bearing. Luckily, the seals look like they will fit ok.

Both pinion bearings rumble and I believe they have to be the source. I also noticed some minor pitting on the three of the pinion gear teeth. Gonna let her rock on till they die...

I have sent the eBay seller messages and I have also ordered the right bearings on amazon.com. Should be here within the week....
More to come...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#11 ·
Well I have the diff back together.
Turns out when the dealer/BRP first warranted my 2011 Max LTD's rear diff in May 2012 they stuck a brand new 2012 version in..... and that's why the 2011 bearing kit didn't fit. The two bearings that I ordered from amazon worked like a champ and was only $25 versus $90.

I also slightly modded the case and drilled a gravity feed oil hole to the back side area of the needle bearing and input pinion interface. I was using a light to show the opening as it was hard to see otherwise. Not sure if it will actually help but I am sure it can't hurt.... but really only the miles will tell..... See photos.

I should be able to install into the machine on this Friday or Saturday.

Attachments

#12 ·
More photos....
Probably got around 7 hours labor tied into it right now.
2 to take apart,
1 to disassemble,
1 to clean,
1 to search for parts,
2 to reassemble.
Probably take another 2 to 3 install..... but .....
I will take my time and not damage any seals.

Total parts cost was around 120.

Attachments

#13 ·
Looks really good man , good job !!! That hole is a good idea too , I think it should help keep more oil on it , should help. I was look at your case inside , I don't think mine has that curve metal around the bearing on the outer housing , I think it is all one level . I might need some help on mine , I have to order all the parts first , did the pinion gear come with the bearing on it already , and did you have to press all the new bearings in and out ? Thanks mike

#14 ·
No problem,
All parts are sold separate! I would suggest getting a bearing/seal rebuild kit online.
The gears will most likely have to come from the dealer (unless you can find their supplier) and both gears for mine listed at $406 then add tax, shipping, rust and dust fee, etc...

I had to use a clamp puller on the pinion gear bearing for removal and used the old bearing to tap the new one back on.
I had to carefully tap the edges of the other bearing out and used them to tap the others back in place.

I did have to use a special blind hole bearing puller tool (eBay item number: 141054179582) that I had bought a few years ago for another project... it really helped in getting the pinion's needle bearing out easily and without too much frustration.

Just let me know when and we can do it. I have a lot going on for the month of October but we can work around that....

#16 ·
I got her done today. Very pleased with outcome. I think my gearbox is going to be next to get overhauled. I changed the oil and it was emulsified to chocolate/green milk.....

It was probably a result of our last trip to Busco Beach back on June14-16, 2013. I drained the CVT several times bc of a boot hose clamp failure. Anyway.... It was so flooded everywhere and was freaking awesome....here's a couple pics.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.