Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bought a 2011 Rene 800R!

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  GoneRippin 
#1 ·
Hey,

She has around 510 hours and 8100 kilometres. I just purchased the shop manual. I'm wondering if there is anything I really need to check or do. She seems to run fine other than a bit of a squeal at idle, in gear... And a tick some times at idle. The squeal was right after some deep water, from what I have read, is a wet belt? The tick, from what I read is the primary clutch weight bolts play (can be minimized with #8 washers)
I still need to check the differential and transmition fluids. I have done an engine oil change, and will be doing another this week with a new oil filter.
There is a bit of a clunk that I believe could be a u-joint when I'm going over whoops slowly (10-15kmh)... I haven't noticed it when shifting gears... I'll pay more attention when I'm out on it today. I'm wondering if it could be the clutch?

I have had many dirt bikes and trikes, all from the 1980's. This is my first belt drive. First quad.
Thank you for any feedback!!

#2 ·
Change all fluids. Take belt cover off and blow out clean. Disassemble primary and check rollers for flat spots. Spec out clutch for wear. Measure belt and make sure in spec. Clean/ re grease one way in primary. Check all cv boots for rips/ tears. Grease whole bike, check suspension bushings for slack/ wear/ looseness. Check u joints on driveshaft for slack. Check tie rods/ ball joints for slack.

Ticking is probably valves. Check/ set valve lash.

Rip on it and have fun!

#4 ·
If you plan on hitting the water I would die-electric grease ALL electrical connections. The clunk may be your rear control arms. They are known for that.

#5 ·
Ok thanks Jimo!

I didn't get around to much today lol the dam clutch cover has 3 nuts spinning in the plastic backing plate :/. Going to call the stealership to get a price on one since there is none on eBay. rear diff is due for a change for sure, so I figured I will wait till I'm in town this week to get a litre of 75W90 to do both diffs. Topped up the rad fluid, only needed 50ml or so (will change shortly)
Noticed at some point yesterday, my rear calliper started leaking. So I'm going to order a seal kit from eBay if my stealership can't beat the price with shipping.
I wasn't up to tackling the valves today, got too hot and horny to try the tracks (Trax 2.0) on the girl.... Just amazing!! I can't believe how well they work... Power steering would be handy with the tracks! Lol

#6 ·
If your clutch cover is the 7 bolt style then you could upgrade to the 13 bolt. The old style had a habit of warping. The 13 bolt seals better and not supposed to warp. The back plate is called the air dam. I ordered the upgrade kit off of ebay or amazon. I believe it's the cover the XMR came stock with. The 2011 might already have the better cover. If not, upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.