Can-Am ATV Forum

Review of Bomb's Visco Lok Differential

This is a discussion on Review of Bomb's Visco Lok Differential within the Can-Am Service Bulletins /Recalls / How To forums, part of the Can-Am Tech Area category; [align=center] A Review of Bombardier's Visco Lok Differential [/align] [align=center] [/align] [align=center] Visco Lok differential from Bombardier Quest [/align] [align=left] Having ownedthree Bombardier Outlanders,I feel ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am Tech Area > Can-Am Service Bulletins /Recalls / How To

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Member #2
View outlandish's Photo Gallery(211)
[align=center]A Review of Bombardier's Visco Lok Differential
[/align]

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Visco Lok differential from Bombardier Quest

[/align]
[align=left]Having ownedthree Bombardier Outlanders,I feel I have had enough experience with the Visco Lok front differential to write a short review.
[/align]
[align=left]I suppose I can start with a quote from Bombardier.
[/align]

[align=left]"Bombardier ATVs’ four-wheel drive system is the most intelligent in the industry. Visco-Lok constantly monitors front wheel speed and, if it detects one wheel spinning faster than its mate, it progressively sends more power to the wheel with the better traction. And it does it all without the rider even having to lift a finger."
[/align]
[align=left]That is exactly true. Push the 4wd button and it works when needed and disengages when not needed. The big benefit to having this differential is with the 4wd button engaged,you have"3wd" or an "open"differential. This makes steering and handling very easy and also gives the extra traction of the 3rd wheel being driven. When things get a bit tougher going and you start to lose traction, the Visco Lok will sense the front wheel is spinning and lock in the other side. Now you have a locked front end, true 4wd to help claw your way out of that nasty mud hole.
[/align]
[align=left]This works very well in most situations, however, there are times when a "true locker" is superior to the Visco unit. For example: say you are climbing a steep technical rock trail. You start spinning enough to lock in the front dif. and things start goingOK, but you have to let off the power. Now you are back to "3wd" and have to spina front wheelagain to lock it. This is a situation where you do not want any wheel spin and a true locker would be much better.
[/align]
[align=left]The Visco Lok only locks the front dif as long as you are on the gas. When you let up, it reverts back to "3wd" or open differential. This is because when the ViscoLok pumps up, the front end is locked in true 4x4 until you stop spinning, then the oil pressure bleeds off to unlock the front differential. This is the only downside of the unit that I can see. Although itcan be abig downside, if you are in that situation.[/align]

[align=left]Here is a quote from the company, GKN Viscodrive:
[/align]
[align=left]"The new Visco Lok LSD features an uniquely designed self contained viscous shear pump that provides tremendous freedom in specifying the level of torque transfer that is provided at any particular speed difference. Small torque transfers can be provided at very low speed differences to improve handling while high torque transfer with immediate response reaction is available at higher slip speeds due to its new progressive characteristic.
[/align]
[align=left]The clutch pack is engaged by an unique patented viscous shear pump which is a self contained silicone fluid pump which generates a pressure against the piston based on a speed difference across the pump unit. The pump is 100% filled with silicone fluid and requires no servicing."[/align]

[align=left]TheVisco Lok is a huge improvement over the standard "open" differentials inotherATVs that claim to have a limited slip dif, but usually,really only have 3wd.[/align]
[align=left]Pros:
[/align]
[align=left]The Visco Lok is a no-brainer. Just push the 4wd button and go. Steering and handling are very easy with it engaged and you don't have to stop to engage a locker. In most situations, the Visco unit works very well and for most riders is an excellent, true 4wd system.[/align]

[align=left]Cons:
[/align]
[align=left]When in a situation where no traction of the front wheels can be found, the Visco Lok senses both wheels slipping, therefore it doesn't know which wheel to apply the lock to and it takesa few rotations of one of the wheels beforeit will thenlock both wheels up and you will go . You have to stay on the gas or it will disengage back to 3wd.[/align]
Another (probably better) explanation:

From JimJa43in this THREAD

Code:
Kevin, Technically you are correct, but from a practical standpoint so are those espousing the 3-wheel drive formula. And you are a smart guy so you know exactly what's being said here.

It's really about torque, not power per sea. In a situation where the front wheels are spinning and the vehicle is not moving, torque is applied to both front wheels equally and the wheel with the LEAST traction determines the amount applied to the opposite front wheel which receives the SAME amount of torque as the wheel with the LEAST traction. Presumably the wheel with the least torque is not getting enough POWER to the ground IOT move the vehicle. Posi-traction, excuse me, Visco-Lok, is nothing more than a limited slip which under the above situation gradually raises the torque to BOTH front wheels until the wheel with the GREATER traction begins to either spin or move the vehicle.

With a direct connection between the front and rear axles, and the rear axle locked, which they all are save for Polaris' turf mode for their side-by-side model, torque is split between the front and the rear.

So everyone is right here. Kevin, you are of course technically correct, but from a practical standpoint, it really is 3-wheel drive since the torque is applied to the wheel with the least amount of traction, which will not provide the power required to get the job done. But you know that...

[align=left]More info on the Visco Lok technology:
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/viscolok.htm[/align]

[align=center]Images and some information have been gathered from the web. The author makes no claims as to the accuracy of this article. It is provided as a review in the opinion of the author only.[/align]

[align=left][/align]
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributing Editor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #7
View LaMigraTx's Photo Gallery(0)
Hey Don, Do you know how much the front wheel has to spin before the Visco-Lok kicks in? Like the Polaris the rear wheels have to spin 1/5 or 15% slippage before the front wheels lock. Some people wanted to know, thanks.
06 King Quad 700
07 Grizz 700EFI
07 SP 500EFI X2 Delx
jacobsatvmagazine
jacobsatvadventures
1stOutty800EFI TXOwnerJuly05
Old 06-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Member #4
View killswitch_1's Photo Gallery(1)
Well writtenarticle outlandish... easy for someonewho doesn't understand all the technicle stuff (me) to get what you're saying.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Member #2
LaMigraTx wrote:
Quote:
Hey Don, Do you know how much the front wheel has to spin before the Visco-Lok kicks in? Like the Polaris the rear wheels have to spin 1/5 or 15% slippage before the front wheels lock. Some people wanted to know, thanks.
I think everyone you ask about that has a different answer. Here's mine. On both my Outlanders, I seem to get about 3/4 to 1 full revolution before locking. But if on the gas hard it seems like it's less and it happens so fast it is almost instantaneous.

I have personally witnessed Polaris's slippage. 1/5? :lol:Well maybe the 2 different machines I observed were exceptions but what I saw as a lot more than 1/5 wheel spin before locking.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Contributing Editor

Member #7
View LaMigraTx's Photo Gallery(0)
Yeah, I have to on the Po Po's, but I don't want to start a war Whats strange about the Polaris machines and most people don't realize this is that when in AWD it still drives in 2wd, until the rear wheels slip then the front wheels lock.

You would think when a machine is in AWD or 4wd you would want all four wheels turning, and then when the front wheels slip it locks. To me Bombardier definately has the best Auto lock system out there. When in 4wd all four wheels are turning, front wheel slips, bam the wheels lock. Oh, well I guess thats why everyone buys different machines. Thanks on the wheel slippage, I ll add it to the article as a side note. Thanks.
06 King Quad 700
07 Grizz 700EFI
07 SP 500EFI X2 Delx
jacobsatvmagazine
jacobsatvadventures
1stOutty800EFI TXOwnerJuly05
Old 06-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Member #31
View mud-dobber's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via MSN to mud-dobber
I'm just wondering if something isnt wrong with my outty... i was out in our back yard crawlin over a tree branch... more of a log and it started to spin, i locked in the 4wd in lo range and started to spin again... i let it spin and it took around 6 - 8 spins for it to engage... i tried it again and i tapped the brake.. over i went like it engaged... is something wrong?
M.U.D Aux High Beam Lights
M.U.D Hand Guards
Kimpex Rear Bumper
Power Tip
Custom " 660 " Plate
Off-Road Racing Lights
AMS 4 Spoke Wheels
26 Interco Swamplites
Old 06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Member #2
Were both tires spinning? I mean if neither has traction, then it takes longer to engage it than it would if one had traction. 8 times does seem excessive. BTW Thanks for joining and welcome
Old 06-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Member #31
View mud-dobber's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via MSN to mud-dobber
One time on a sand bar one was barely spinning and the other was wheelin it, and on a tree branch in our back yard.... it would be on an angle and it took about 6-8 times till it engaged... sometimes it takes 4 times sometimes less... and then only one tire would spin... on my other 04 outty you couldnt tell it engaging like it was already engaged.
M.U.D Aux High Beam Lights
M.U.D Hand Guards
Kimpex Rear Bumper
Power Tip
Custom " 660 " Plate
Off-Road Racing Lights
AMS 4 Spoke Wheels
26 Interco Swamplites
Old 12-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Member #229
View KLK's Photo Gallery(0)
I've been reading for hours now - some real good info guys. I haven't found a straight answer to this question though. My dealer told me I could shift to 4X4 anytime I wanted but in the owners manual it clearly states to stop the machine, switch to 4X4 and then continue on - What's the real scoop on the Outlander 800 two wheel to four wheel switching?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Member #2
The book says full stop but most guys will tell you that as long as your going slow and there is no load on the diff it will shift OK. Never try it while spinning or under any kind of load......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am Tech Area > Can-Am Service Bulletins /Recalls / How To

Search tags for this page
2005 bombardier outlander max 400 4x4 wont disengage

atv differentials

does can am visco lok only work in 4 wheel drive

front differential lock for outlander bombardier
how does visco lok work
how does visco-lok work
how to service a can am quest differential
is can am atv's 4-wheel drive system a posi traction or differintial locking system
locking differential on can am

visco lock differential

visco lock review

visco lok front differential

visco-lok front differential

what is bombardier is visco drive
what is visco lock in a bomberdier atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.