Can-Am ATV Forum

Polaris / Bobcat Team Up

This is a discussion on Polaris / Bobcat Team Up within the Polaris forums, part of the ATVs category; Farm Business Communications, 3/11/2009 [line]Editors' Picks: Bobcat, Polaris team up By Staff, submitted by Dave Bedard Skid-steer maker Bobcat Co. and snowmobile and ATV maker ...

Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > ATVs > Polaris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Member #2
View outlandish's Photo Gallery(211)
Farm Business Communications, 3/11/2009
[line]Editors' Picks: Bobcat, Polaris team up
By Staff, submitted by Dave Bedard

Skid-steer maker Bobcat Co. and snowmobile and ATV maker Polaris Industries have signed on for a "long-term strategic alliance" that will ultimately include co-development of new equipment.

The agreement, announced last week, is meant to "leverage the complementary strengths of both companies to penetrate work-related market segments globally."
"Initially, Polaris will produce and sell highly differentiated work vehicles to Bobcat for sale through the Bobcat dealer network," Scott Wine, CEO for Minnesota-based Polaris, said in the two companies' release.

"The breadth and depth of our co-operative efforts will expand thereafter to include co-developed vehicles for both Polaris and Bobcat and further technology sharing."
The new Polaris-made Bobcat vehicles are expected to be launched by the second half of 2010, the two companies said.

According to Chicago-based industry magazine Construction Equipment, the new vehicles are to be branded Bobcat "work vehicles" but would replace the Bobcat 2100, 2200 and 2300 utility vehicles made by Club Car.

"Bobcat will continue to support and take orders for the next 12 months," the magazine quoted a spokesperson for North Dakota-based Bobcat as saying.
The deal will not affect Polaris' Ranger or Bobcat's Tool Cat product lines, the magazine said.

Polaris has 1,800 dealers, of which only about 20 are Bobcat distributors, the magazine said, also quoting a Polaris spokesperson as saying Polaris products wouldn't be marketed by way of Bobcat dealerships -- at least not at first.

"This alliance is consistent with our stated strategy of diversifying Polaris beyond our core powersports segments and will enhance our efforts to accelerate the growth of our military and international businesses," Wine said in the companies' release.

"This alliance will enable both companies to extend our customer bases and provide profitable growth," Bobcat Americas president Richard Goldsbury said in the same release.

-- The "Editors' Picks" feature will highlight eyebrow-raising and unusual-yet-true news from the world of farming, as gleaned from various sources by the editorial staff of the Farm Business Communications division.
Sponsored Links
Can-AmForum.com is the premier Can-Am ATV, Can-Am Outlander, Can-Am Renegade Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Member #6081
View big dummie's Photo Gallery(0)
I see a diesel sportsman in the future.......
dalton pro clutch kit
Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Torn and Twisted!!

Member #2820
View Voodoo's Photo Gallery(8)
big dummie wrote:
Quote:
Well...I hope it's better than previous diesel quads/S X S's I have ridden....because they were absolute dogs....

I feel this is a good move for Polaris...It is always better to diversify your product line for different consumer markets..especially with theeconomy the way it is..

Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Lifetime Member

Member #6081
I agrre voodoo. Doesn't Polaris still have something to do with KTM, or is that over with?
dalton pro clutch kit
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Torn and Twisted!!

Member #2820
View Voodoo's Photo Gallery(8)
I think KTM makes or made their motors....not sure how it works now....

Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Member #2
Voodoo wrote:
Quote:
big dummie wrote:
Quote:
Well...I hope it's better than previous diesel quads/S X S's I have ridden....because they were absolute dogs....

I feel this is a good move for Polaris...It is always better to diversify your product line for different consumer markets..especially with theeconomy the way it is..
I would think the Bobcat utility would just be a re-badged Ranger
Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Lifetime Member

Member #6081
outlandish wrote:
Quote:
Voodoo wrote:
Quote:
big dummie wrote:
Quote:

I would think the Bobcat utility would just be a re-badged Ranger
I agree outlandish, but i was thinking more of a utilty, like the Artic Cat 700 diesel.
dalton pro clutch kit
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Member #682
View cc1999's Photo Gallery(349)
I am picturing the comercial line of ATVs that Polaris has marketed as comercial units in the past with the orange yellow color sceem 500 sportsmans and rangers, except in the Bobcat colors with the bobcat name.

If not mistaken, they make a military sportsman, that I thought in order to meet military spec it had to be capable of running on Diesel. If soIcould see the military, model or a version of it making into the Bobcat lineup as well.

I have this feeling this is going to go sort of like the Johndeer deal withBRP.I doubt we see an 850 XPwhite and red bobcat trim. Be kinda cool if they did but Ijust bet Polairs keeps all the new stuff for themselves.

2012 Can-am 1000 Outlander XT Black
With 26" Bighorns, on Black 12" ITP Rims, rear Can-am box, and HD front Can-am bumper.

2009 Sportsman 850 XP EPS Stealth BLACK
with Bighorns on 14 inch Hipers, Handguards, storage boxes, backrest, Sport bumper, Pia lights, 35oo# Winch w/wireless remote, rear work lights.

Recent Past Quads:
11 Sportsman Touring 850 LE, 09' King Quad 750 W/PS,08' Polaris Sp800 X2 \ 09' Outlander 800R \ 08' ThunderCat 1000 \ 06' Diamond G Outy 800 \ 08' Honda Rincon 680 EFI \ 08' Polaris 800 RZR \ 07'Renegade 800 \ 06' Outlander 800 XT \ 06 Outlander MAX 800 \ 05' Polaris 800 Sportsman \ 04 Susuki Twin Peaks (Kawi prarrie) 700.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Member #682
View cc1999's Photo Gallery(349)
Here is an article on the Military MV800, I could see a version of this in the Bobcat deal.
[img]http://*************/images/content/tn_Action-Photo-MV800.jpg[/img]

Here is a copy of the article on the MV800
Quote:
Polaris Industries Inc. recently completed the first production run of its newest military vehicle, the MV800 4X4 ATV.[/b]

The MV800 is Polaris’ first military vehicle to feature the Patriot engine. The 760cc, 40hp engine will run on JP8, which is the military’s standard fuel.

“It’s already a proven vehicle in the sense that it’s a step up from a longstanding vehicle we’ve been making, but by going with this Patriot engine we have a vehicle that has a much broader application across the military services because it’s going to use the military standard fuel,” Polaris Defense managing director Mark McCormick told ********. “Up until now, if someone wanted a capability that our militarized ATV provides, they’ve had to use gasoline and for some branches that’s a real logistical issue.”

[img]http://*************/images/content/tn_Action-Photo-MV800.jpg[/img]

The MV800 can run on gasoline, JP5 and highway diesel in an emergency.

The new Patriot engine was developed in partnership with Australian-based Orbital Corp. and provides nearly twice the horsepower as a compression diesel engine in its size.

“It provides the same or similar performance to commercial ATVs in the 700 class,” says McCormick

The MV800 is based on the Sportsman platform, but obviously has some significant upgrades for the military.

Much of the plastic found on commercial machines has been replaced by a steel exoskeleton. There is also an instrument roll bar and front and rear steel racks. The machine is equipped with D rings, including one on each corner that allows it to be airlifted.

Polaris added a second fuel tank to the MV800, providing almost twice the fuel capacity of a standard consumer vehicle.

All of these modifications add significantly to the dry weight and the MV800 tips the scales at roughly 1,050 pounds. As a comparison, the heaviest ATV in the Sportsman class is about 800 pounds.

“The weight is part of its heavy-duty design and is intentional,” says McCormick. “There is a big difference between recreation and military use.”

The fact that the MV800 is being produced for the military is not lost on Polaris’ employees.

“While the company is extremely proud of its PowerSports heritage, it’s nice to feel in this day and age that you are doing something that is providing an key asset to the military,” McCormick told ********.

[img]http://*************/images/logo-articles-sig.gif[/img]

[/b]

2012 Can-am 1000 Outlander XT Black
With 26" Bighorns, on Black 12" ITP Rims, rear Can-am box, and HD front Can-am bumper.

2009 Sportsman 850 XP EPS Stealth BLACK
with Bighorns on 14 inch Hipers, Handguards, storage boxes, backrest, Sport bumper, Pia lights, 35oo# Winch w/wireless remote, rear work lights.

Recent Past Quads:
11 Sportsman Touring 850 LE, 09' King Quad 750 W/PS,08' Polaris Sp800 X2 \ 09' Outlander 800R \ 08' ThunderCat 1000 \ 06' Diamond G Outy 800 \ 08' Honda Rincon 680 EFI \ 08' Polaris 800 RZR \ 07'Renegade 800 \ 06' Outlander 800 XT \ 06 Outlander MAX 800 \ 05' Polaris 800 Sportsman \ 04 Susuki Twin Peaks (Kawi prarrie) 700.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Member #2
Current Bobcat Utility http://www.bobcat.com/utility_machines/utility_vehicles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > ATVs > Polaris

Search tags for this page
bobcat atv
bobcat colers

bobcat utility vehicle reviews

bobcat utv built by polaris
bobcat utv review
does polaris make bobcat utv
does polaris make the bobcat side by sides
polaris bobcat utv
polaris patriot engine for sale
who makes bobcat atv
who makes bobcat side by sides

who makes bobcat utility vehicles

who makes bobcat utility vehicles?

who makes bobcat utv

who makes the bobcat utv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.