Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinette County WI

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  flashmann 
#1 ·
Anyone familiar with these trails? I need to plan a trip and I have ridden the trails in Oconto County and loved every mile. Just looking to see what's out there. Deadman....I know you are from that area...any thoughts or recommendations?

#9 ·
Care to elaborate? I was able to pull up one kind of fuzzy map of the trails online. Not to clear. Any recommendations on where to start? Where to stay?

#3 ·
I rode there ONCE, and the trails we rode were ALL rocks, like 6-8 inch rocks buried just a little and they punished your wrists BAD! I was on a sport quad and I was taking my time because I was very concerned about pinching a tire on the sidewall because it was littered in solid rocks. We crawled because the rocks were so bad and my buddy was on an Outlander. It felt like we were riding thru a bowling ball graveyard!

I'm used to zipping along in Oconto County at 60-70 mph if nobodys on the trails, Marinette county was more like 15-20 MPH in many places.

Lets just say I never went back! lol I have it made as Oconto County trails are 1/4 mile from my house! I often sit on my porch and guess by the pipes as to what quad is going thru! :)

#4 ·
I rode there ONCE, and the trails we rode were ALL rocks, like 6-8 inch rocks buried just a little and they punished your wrists BAD! I was on a sport quad and I was taking my time because I was very concerned about pinching a tire on the sidewall because it was littered in solid rocks. We crawled because the rocks were so bad and my buddy was on an Outlander. It felt like we were riding thru a bowling ball graveyard!

I'm used to zipping along in Oconto County at 60-70 mph if nobodys on the trails, Marinette county was more like 15-20 MPH in many places.

Lets just say I never went back! lol I have it made as Oconto County trails are 1/4 mile from my house! I often sit on my porch and guess by the pipes as to what quad is going thru! :)
I knew you would chime in! Thanks for the "heads up" I guess I will stick to Oconto county.

#7 ·
Looking forward to your review of the trails.

#6 ·
I only rode "1 day" on their trails, so its very possible that I only rode on the bad trails....? There could be trails with no rocks for all I know. I just remember we parked at some trailhead off Parkway Road on their southern end and we rode from there.

I don't mean to say its a bad place to ride, I'm just saying what I found in the 1 day ride.

#8 ·
We were going to stay in crivitz which I was told was 5 miles from trails. Decided to wing it instead and luckily got last room available at Thorntons in Athenstane or whatever. Decent place but don't listen to them how to get to trails. We put over 20 miles of road riding only to before we figured out she told us the winter only trails. We didn't have a decent map yet. Went back. Trailered back up and went 3 miles up to gas station for gas. They had new atv trail maps and trail goes right to them. We parked at Jungle Jims (excellent food, a tad pricey) just up road on trail and headed east, up and around lower loop. My gas light came on just as we got back. No other atvs in site. Bowlingball graveyard is right. A couple short stretches sucked, but most of it was decent. Lots of sand. Mostly 20-40mph riding. I hit 50 maybe 5 times and 60 once. We plan on parking at Jungle Jims again today and heading north to see how far we can get. I'm guessing stop at goodman for gas then swing through pembine and back. Hopefully we don't run out of gas. I brought a 1 gal tank with just incase. I got just over 30 miles/ gallon last tank on my 09 800 gade and my buddy Randy got 33 on his '13 650 outty max. Ill update when I get back. Wish we could find a place to stay one more night. Shoulda brought a tent. Tons of campgrounds around.

#10 ·
Glad my "bowling ball graveyard" comment was accurate! :)

The trails aren't bad by any means, just different. I know we were close to running out of fuel when we rode there and we actually planned our ride according to gas stops.

I'm so used to riding 60-70 MPH all the time here in Oconto County, so no matter where I go its slower and that is the very first thing I usually notice! Not as in bad, but just different. Marinette Co, the rocks are etched into my mind as my wrists took a beating. :)

Glad you are enjoying it! Log some miles!

#11 ·
Just got home. Was a very fun trip. Very diverse trails. We went north all the way to lake hilbert stopping in goodman for lunch and gas. If you run through a city just top off and bring an extra gallon just incase. We got lost on way back and I almost needed the spare gas. My phone gps was on the fritz and told me I was were I wasn't a couple times when I stopped to see where I was. We didn't make it to pembine, just dunbar, and horseshoe falls on way back south to athelstane on right leg. Somehow missed 12 ft falls. Seemed within a mile or two on gps forever but never found trail to it then arrows pointed back way we came. Horseshoe falls was better marked. Dont walk there lol its like 2 miles from the main intersection and trails. Didnt say no atvs, we stayed on trail and walked like last 200ft down to water. Kinda neat. Wish we coulda saw other falls in area. Maybe next time.
Left leg heading north from athelstane was lots of intermittent bowlingball graveyards with stretches of fast rolling sandy hills. One spot I was a little worried. Trail was nothing but huge rocks and very steep. Not sure how easy a 2wd would get up it without a couple tries. Fun mix tho. Prolly camp somewhere in the middle of trails next time. Wouldn't mind checking out those fast oconto trails too. Where is a good central point to stay for that?
Ryan

#12 ·
If you stay near Mountain, you are kinda in the middle and the railroad grade runs north/south, so you can get most places fast!

Theres a Hotel by Chute Pond, and also the cabins or whatever is at Spur of the Moment ranch.

You won't need fuel in OConto County, unless you play a lot in areas away from the towns with gas.

Reactions: sparky81
#13 ·
Flash,

How many in your group and do you prefer camping or motel, or cabin?

Wife and I have been riding, and now helping maintain these trails for over 8 years. The trails are not all rocks like some have encountered. The trail system is shaped somewhat like a figure 8, made up of an upper loop and lower loop. Dead was probably on the lower loop. Yeah there are some nasty rocks going to or coming from Jungle Jim's. And there is a decent rock hill on the northwest corner of the upper loop. But the trail system offers a lot of different riding. Some rocks, some mud, and a lot of sand. And next to no asphalt. There is some gravel roads that connect the system. But no road riding until you get up to Lake Hilbert. Northwest of Lake Hilbert is a lot of asphalt. But if you go north of Dunbar (where our place is) you can go to Florence or Pembine.

As far as gas, there is Goodman, Dunbar (finally), Silver Cliff, Pembine, and Florence. There are others outside of the Trail system that can be found on maps at local establishments along the way.

As far as speed, it is up to the rider and experience on your machine. We average (45-55MPH on our Rene 1000XXC's with bursts to the limiter). Obviously in tight areas you slow down to watch for others. But traffic is usually pretty light except for holidays.

Let me know if you need anymore info. Come ride our trails!

Beer10t

Sent from beer10t

#14 ·
Flash,

How many in your group and do you prefer camping or motel, or cabin?

Wife and I have been riding, and now helping maintain these trails for over 8 years. The trails are not all rocks like some have encountered. The trail system is shaped somewhat like a figure 8, made up of an upper loop and lower loop. Dead was probably on the lower loop. Yeah there are some nasty rocks going to or coming from Jungle Jim's. And there is a decent rock hill on the northwest corner of the upper loop. But the trail system offers a lot of different riding. Some rocks, some mud, and a lot of sand. And next to no asphalt. There is some gravel roads that connect the system. But no road riding until you get up to Lake Hilbert. Northwest of Lake Hilbert is a lot of asphalt. But if you go north of Dunbar (where our place is) you can go to Florence or Pembine.

As far as gas, there is Goodman, Dunbar (finally), Silver Cliff, Pembine, and Florence. There are others outside of the Trail system that can be found on maps at local establishments along the way.

As far as speed, it is up to the rider and experience on your machine. We average (45-55MPH on our Rene 1000XXC's with bursts to the limiter). Obviously in tight areas you slow down to watch for others. But traffic is usually pretty light except for holidays.

Let me know if you need anymore info. Come ride our trails!

Beer10t

Sent from beer10t
I have been going up to Mountain two or three times a year for the last five years. Love the trails. As far as my group, its usually three to five. We prefer a nice cabin or house to rent. Any info you want to pass along will be appreciated. You can only ride the trails so many times before you know every rock or fallen tree. On the positive side, we almost never get lost like we used to! So we are looking for somewhere new to ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.