New Tires and springs - Can-Am ATV Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

New Tires and springs

So I have made a few small purchases for the 2018 6x6.

I went with 27x9-12 for the front and 27x11-12 for the rear on the ITP Mega Mayhems tires. I also purchased the heavy duty spring kit but it just comes with 4 springs. Wondering if I will need to buy the other two as well. My plan was to do the front and the back front set.

I also bought the radiator guard versus doing the relocate kit but I will see how that goes this year. I hate to give up that front rack if I don't have to. But I have heard quite a few people say I should move do the rad relocate. Thoughts ?

My main question is I am debating on a clutch and will I need a clutch kit ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samato View Post
So I have made a few small purchases for the 2018 6x6.

I went with 27x9-12 for the front and 27x11-12 for the rear on the ITP Mega Mayhems tires. I also purchased the heavy duty spring kit but it just comes with 4 springs. Wondering if I will need to buy the other two as well. My plan was to do the front and the back front set.

I'm not real familiar with the 6X6, however, I would start with the 4 springs you purchased. Do some riding & see how the beast handles & then decide if you would like to try the HD springs as well on the very rear axle.

Quote:
I also bought the radiator guard versus doing the relocate kit but I will see how that goes this year. I hate to give up that front rack if I don't have to. But I have heard quite a few people say I should move do the rad relocate. Thoughts ?

And again, not sure what type of riding you're doing that you are thinking of a radiator relocation kit. But you're doing a lot of brush busting or deep water riding, the relocate kit might be the way to go.
I also found it humorous you mention you don't want to give up the front rack when you have a bed to haul stuff in right behind you ... Just say'in ...

Quote:
My main question is I am debating on a clutch and will I need a clutch kit ?

"Will I need a clutch kit ??" .... none of us probably really NEED a clutch kit ... we do it because we WANT to. Are you asking that question because you bought the 27 inch tall tires ?? If so, I don't believe you do.

And when you say, "Clutch Kit", are you talking like the Dalton kit, or entire new clutches ??

I personally have done both & I personally recommend the QSC Rev X primary & the STM Gen II roller secondary clutches. Way more money than a "Clutch Kit", but they are So nice. And again, not knowing what kind of riding you're doing, maybe a Clutch Kit would work for you just fine.
All depends on what you're looking to gain.

You need to post a photo of this Bad Boy too Samato Guy !!

Born2atv likes this.

GunnyE9
All Around Nice Guy .... "Work" is a Dirty Four Letter Word ...

My Video's - http://www.youtube.com/user/GunnyE9?feature=mhum
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply GunnyE9,

Today we got the handlebars swapped out with the aluminum ones. Bent the stock ones so we had to replace. Installed the Can-Am Hand warmer kit and that seems to be pretty sweet. Also installed the full wrap hand guards and wind deflectors Can-Am makes.

Tuesday I am going to do the springs and tires I think and change out from cable on the winch to the Amsteel synthetic and new fairlead.

On the clutch I wasn't sure what to do if I do anything. I will probably ride and just play that by ear.

As far as the rad relocate we do run a ton of brush and have our share of water crossings. It really depends on where we ride. It can be mountainous terrain or it can be that nasty Alaska skeg.

I need to figure out how to post photos on here still but I will as I progress. Progress can be slow as it seems like money goes fast on these dog gone things. Not to mention I am up fitting my 2018 Defender XMR at the same time.
GunnyE9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Just to give you a heads up check in with member Chief, he too has a 6x6. You said your doing a lot of bush and water, make sure you grease those rear driveshafts after each ride or you might be in the same boat as Chief.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Born2atv

Pretty sure Chief and I live near each other in Alaska also as I recognize some of the areas he rides.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-10-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

27" ITP Mega Mayhems and the heavy duty spring kit on the front and front of the rear. I left the trailing springs stock. Not sure if I will change those or not. Any suggestions?

[IMG]untitled-2 by Sam Amato Photography, on Flickr[/IMG]
GunnyE9 likes this.

Last edited by Samato; 03-10-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

This is with the 6" rack on the front for tying crap down and the 3 bag system BRP has discontinued but we like being able to put crap in the bags

[IMG]untitled-4 by Sam Amato Photography, on Flickr[/IMG]
GunnyE9 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I also changed from the roller fairlead to the Haws and put synthetic line on. Then added the radiator cover down low. Debated on doing rad relocate but really don't want to lose the front rack.

[IMG]untitled by Sam Amato Photography, on Flickr[/IMG]
GunnyE9 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

NICE !!!! ...

GunnyE9
All Around Nice Guy .... "Work" is a Dirty Four Letter Word ...

My Video's - http://www.youtube.com/user/GunnyE9?feature=mhum
post #10 of 13 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

Garage
Don't know how I missed this thread earlier. On the clutch kit this beast is geared lower than the normal Outlander so I don't see the need to change the clutches in any way. I'm not a fan of the radiator relocate and like you I like having my front rack available for other things, I know we have a lot of space in the back for sure, but I guess that is a personal preference. Not sure what your referring to "radiator cover" but I will do some research on that. I know you haven't had much time to try out the new springs, but with what little riding you have done, what is your impression?
I find it kind of amusing, there are several people in Alaska on this site, and other people that I have talked to that run the Can Am 6x6, but I have never seen one on the trail other than my brother, I know it's a BIG state, but I see plenty of other riders and you would think in three years and over 2100 miles that you would see at leave one other Can Am 6x6.

2015 Outlander 1000 6x6 XT
2012 Outlander 1000XT (Sold)
2004 Honda Rincon (Sold)

Last edited by Chief...; Yesterday at 03:05 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander 6x6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode