Radiator Relocate and Internally Mounted Radiator Point of Veiw - Can-Am ATV Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 05-18-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Radiator Relocate and Internally Mounted Radiator Point of Veiw

I posted this in another thread and felt others might be interested to know or understand our point of view in this area.

In regards to the XMR's and or any Can-am Outlander with a Factory relocate, I would agree to some degree of respect, extreme bogging could create potential issues with a hole in the hood as some have stated, though in these situations (extreme bogging) nothing is safe from damage. However, relocated factory or not this damage is not nearly as possible as that of a factory internal radiator set-up.

Here's some free chicken for those who do not understand and or have questions. The hole in the hood doesn't just help cooling issues, it also allows mud and debris a path away from the fan which at the front of a factory Can-Am relocate sits roughly an 1/8" off the hood. So if you want to discuss things getting clogged, caked, obstructed, then lets discuss the difference between a fan that sits an 1/8" away from a solid surface and one that has a hole below it that allows things to pass and nothing to become trapped. When a rider plunges into a deep hole, a wave per-say is created with mud, debris, water and such, this wave hits the quad and is forced through the grill and up the hood or over. If this hood has no hole the wave has an 1/8" to disperse its contents and what gets obstructed by the fan goes up into the fan and radiator, NOT GOOD. If there had been a hole, the wave would have continued without said obstruction, bypassing the fan then dropping into the old radiator cavity. It can still hit the fan and do the same thing with the hole under the fan but it's much less likely and that's due to how and where the hole is located and the angle of the protective radiator housing.

A factory internally mounted radiator has plastics to the left and right of it, these encompass the radiator and allow debris IN but not OUT, there isn't a path for debris to leave because it took force to get it in and there is nothing inside in return to force the debris out. We are not just concocting things to argue about with anyone, this is all factual information. My Brother in arms and Fellow ARMUSVET is a graduate of MMI, we want nothing but to assist, the opportunity to share research and assist in updating folks knowledge of situations causing damage. This particular subject is of great importance because it is so misunderstood.

Here are two pictures showing how the mud has traveled on our XMR and what the underside of our radiator & fan looked like after our last ride, SALUTE!

Bayoubowhunter69 likes this.

COMMON GROUND

2017 Outlander Triple Black XMR 1000R
(ARMUSVETS) Heat/Cooling Modifications
Four Wheel Disc Brake, Dual Lever Conversion with Front and Rear Separation
Trimmed Foot Wells
Renegade OH Sh*T Handle
KFI Tiger Tail with Custom Splice 1 1/4" Shackle mount Modification
Up North Technologies ATV1 Plate with SKI-DOO 3gal Tank Modification
Warn Synthetic Rope and Synthetic Fairlead
Two-Up seat
Quick Connect Fob lanyard
(RJWC) air box lid
(ARMUSVETS) Plug-n-Play Reverse Lighting
(ARMUSVETS) Dual Front Dry Storage
(ARMUSVETS) Rhino, Snorkel Extension Modification to XMR POD
NPP Radiator Relocate Hood Scoop Cover
(ARMUSVETS) Moroso, Vent Line Relocation Modification
SwampDog Off Road Brass Brake Pads
(ARMUSVETS) T3 Modification/Plastic swap w/Fog Lights and complete LED conversion
Gen2 ATV-1 and ATV-1-R (UNT) Up North Technologies accessory adapters

Last edited by Common; 05-19-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Workin' on mine, learning new things to do. Thx. .... snorkel extensions started this p.m. new pipe (not to happy with GSE) At this point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2005 Honda 500 Foreman FE (Green)
2'' Lift, 28'' MudZilla's, ITP 12'' Rims, Jetted
Homemade Cherry Bomb Exhaust

2015 Can Am 650 Outlander XMR
GSE Performance Exhaust
30'' SilverBacks, ITP 14'' Rims

2016 Honda 500 Foreman FM (Red)
28'' OutLaws, ITP 12'' Rims
(Wife's Bike) Stock Exhaust, She Don't Like Loud
post #3 of 43 Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 PM

Don't go by the instructions SYA sends, easy more cuttin' needed and a lil backyard red neck injunuity inquired

Common likes this.

2005 Honda 500 Foreman FE (Green)
2'' Lift, 28'' MudZilla's, ITP 12'' Rims, Jetted
Homemade Cherry Bomb Exhaust

2015 Can Am 650 Outlander XMR
GSE Performance Exhaust
30'' SilverBacks, ITP 14'' Rims

2016 Honda 500 Foreman FM (Red)
28'' OutLaws, ITP 12'' Rims
(Wife's Bike) Stock Exhaust, She Don't Like Loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoubowhunter69 View Post
Don't go by the instructions SYA sends, easy more cuttin' needed and a lil backyard red neck injunuity inquired

Bayoubowhunter69, Thanks. We have said this many times and it applies here as well. Sometimes the best modifications cost nothing at all, it's backyard ingenuity at it's best, PRICELESS that's what time, patients and creativity get you, PRICELESS results! SALUTE!

COMMON GROUND

Trimmed Foot Wells
Renegade OH Sh*T Handle
Two-Up seat
(RJWC) air box lid
(ARMUSVETS) T3 Modification/Plastic swap w/Fog Lights and complete LED conversion
The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:
Bayoubowhunter69 (05-19-2017)
post #5 of 43 Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM

Garage
After reading your post twice I'm still lost, when you relocate the radiator don't you also relocate the fan? The way your post reads it seems the fan is still in its factory position and now the radiator is gone so theirs room for crud to fall away from it. Just not a very clear description.
post #6 of 43 Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddydogs View Post
After reading your post twice I'm still lost, when you relocate the radiator don't you also relocate the fan? The way your post reads it seems the fan is still in its factory position and now the radiator is gone so theirs room for crud to fall away from it. Just not a very clear description.
I'm lost too!! Relocating the radiator is a no-brainer for serious mud riding.. getting it higher keeps it cleaner... and it's also easier to clean once it's dirty.

No degree from MMI required

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
post #7 of 43 Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Our mistake as we thought it was common knowledge that the fan gets moved with the Radiator.......it is a unit, But I'll see if I can clarify this some how. Though this thread is referring to the functionality of a hole being under the Radiator & Fan unit and with the said unit being relocated, there is an empty...empty cavity now where the radiator and fan use to be. Hope this helps you out, SALUTE!

ALSO, my quote "The hole in the hood doesn't just help cooling issues, it also allows mud and debris a path away from the fan which at the front of a factory Can-Am relocate sits roughly an 1/8" off the hood."

Clearly states the fan is 1/8" off the hood in a Factory relocated set-up, but maybe I'm still not following what you're confused about. I will gladly explain this again, if you'll help me out on your loss.

COMMON GROUND

Trimmed Foot Wells
Renegade OH Sh*T Handle
Two-Up seat
(RJWC) air box lid

Last edited by Common; 05-19-2017 at 05:37 PM.
post #8 of 43 Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddydogs View Post
muddydogs, is it the word Factory that is confusing you? Factory in this case is referring to both options, be it internally installed or Relocated, FACTORY meaning not to be confused with an aftermarket set up.... I have read this myself again but I'm not finding the confusion with the fan as each paragraph specifically refers to the/a fan being attached to the radiator. I tried going back to clarify but I could not find the issue. SALUTE!

COMMON GROUND

Trimmed Foot Wells
Renegade OH Sh*T Handle
Two-Up seat
(RJWC) air box lid
post #9 of 43 Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Our mistake as we thought it was common knowledge that the fan gets moved with the Radiator.......it is a unit, But I'll see if I can clarify this some how. Though this thread is referring to the functionality of a hole being under the Radiator & Fan unit and with the said unit being relocated, there is an empty...empty cavity now where the radiator and fan use to be. Hope this helps you out, SALUTE!

ALSO, my quote "The hole in the hood doesn't just help cooling issues, it also allows mud and debris a path away from the fan which at the front of a factory Can-Am relocate sits roughly an 1/8" off the hood."

Clearly states the fan is 1/8" off the hood in a Factory relocated set-up, but maybe I'm still not following what you're confused about. I will gladly explain this again, if you'll help me out on your loss.
Still confused..
what is the point of this thread anyhow?? As I stated earlier, moving the rad is a no- Brainer for serious mud riding..
and yes, naturally there will be an open space on where it used to be.

post #10 of 43 Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_Smith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post

Still confused..
what is the point of this thread anyhow?? As I stated earlier, moving the rad is a no- Brainer for serious mud riding..
and yes, naturally there will be an open space on where it used to be.

The point is, Common cuts a giant hole in the plastic because the relocated rad is only 1/8" above it to move more air....and this cures all the heat issues on the big bore Can Ams. I'd like to see a picture....I find it pretty incredulous that Can Am puts a hot rad 1/8" above a plastic "wall". I have a factory relocate on my 570 and there is a good 5-6 inches behind the fan to the plastic.....

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

2016 Renegade 1000 XMR: "Suck My Wake II"
QSC primary, STM secondary, Yoshimura,
BRP Rad relocate, Monster EFI reflash,
Cecco post brace, Rigid LED, skids, blue plasma rope.

2016 Outlander 570L DPS: "Tank"
BRP snorkel and rad relocate, 27" Outback XTs,
LED, blue plasma rope, Fox shocks, Alpine Flex plow.

Past machines:
2012 Renegade 1000 XXC
2008 Outlander 400 EFI
2007 Outlander 800 XT
Lots of older non-BRP junk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode