Why can am ? - Can-Am ATV Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Why can am ?

Hello all , long time listner first time caller .. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new bike , my current is a 99 kodiak 400.. she's tired and I'm looking into some big bore bikes .. and I'm torn between a new Polaris sportsman 1000, or an outlander 1000 Max ... Any level of trim ... But I wanna hear from the can am guys ... Why can am and not Polaris ? , Thanks , any help on how to spend my money , thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Also a new grizzly 700 looks nice ..yami's 4x4 system is solid as is the tranny .. only draw back is it's a single 700... Underpowered in my book .. but what are u guys thoughts ? This bike will be used 60/40 play work .. any help is great , thank you
post #3 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Well, I assume you have a post on the PoPo forums as well. They will tell you the opposite of what I'm about to type. LOL. Both of these big bores will put a smile on your face. But both will be a LOT more maintenance than your current ride...or a new Yam 700. I'll give the nod in power to the PoPo, but the Can Am has less issues and slightly lower maintenance. If you want get on it and ride for work reliability, probably stick with a single cylinder foot shift deal.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

2016 Renegade 1000 XMR: "Suck My Wake II"
QSC primary, STM secondary, Yoshimura,
BRP Rad relocate, Monster EFI reflash,
Cecco post brace, Rigid LED, skids, blue plasma rope.

2016 Outlander 570L DPS: "Tank"
BRP snorkel and rad relocate, 27" Outback XTs,
LED, blue plasma rope, Fox shocks, Alpine Flex plow.

Past machines:
2012 Renegade 1000 XXC
2008 Outlander 400 EFI
2007 Outlander 800 XT
Lots of older non-BRP junk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Because my next door neighbor bought a Can Am. He let me ride it one weekend. I fell in love and HAD to have one. LOL

2017 Can Am Outlander 450

Outty 1000 Max Springs/Shocks, GSE Performance Trail Tamer Exhaust, Dobeck EJK Tuner, 22" LED Light Bar, Heat Demon Grips/Thumb/Butt Warmer, Trail Tech Temp Gauge, Airbox Lid #248 O-ring Mod, Synthetic Winch Rope, 54" Alpine Plow
post #5 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
Well, I assume you have a post on the PoPo forums as well. They will tell you the opposite of what I'm about to type. LOL. Both of these big bores will put a smile on your face. But both will be a LOT more maintenance than your current ride...or a new Yam 700. I'll give the nod in power to the PoPo, but the Can Am has less issues and slightly lower maintenance. If you want get on it and ride for work reliability, probably stick with a single cylinder foot shift deal.
I worked in a body shop as a mechanic and bondo boy for about 7 years , so I know a thing or two about wrenching lol... maintenance other than lube and fluid changes ? Obviously machines breakdown and require maintenance ,but is there something that really sets these two appart other than brand loyalty? , And yes I've got some feelers out for Polaris forums , i just wanna get real world advice from the people who actually run these machines and why they chose what they chose ... I'm about to dump 10k on a bike I wanna know as much as I can
post #6 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 PM

I could tell you 5 things that suck on both machines go ride both buy what you like. For me personally I didn't like the Polaris to much vibration at idle plus I owned one before ready for a change.
post #7 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 03:50 PM

I can honestly say I will never own anything but Can Am. I know they require more maintenance than other brands but if you want power the 1000r is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 Outlander Max 1000 Limited
BRP snorkel kit
BRP radiator relocation kit
Muzzy dual exhaust
Dynojet Power Programmer 5
Opt-7 14" Led light bar
Tricled halo rings
Blue Led tail lights
Can Am 60" Alpine Flex plow

2017 Outlander Max 1000R Limited
BRP Snorkel kit
BRP radiator relocation kit
RJWC dual split exhaust
Dynojet Power Programmer 5
Tricled halo rings
Blue Led tail lights
Opt-7 14: Led light bar
Can-Am 60" Alpine Flex plow
post #8 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 05:16 PM

I just switched from a 2015 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 to a 2017 Outlander XT-P 1000. The Can-Am has better build quality and more low end torque. The Polaris rides better (ergonomics, steering, fun-factor), is quicker and more fun to ride. The Can-Am is like a GMC Sierra Denali or Ford F150 Raptor and the Polaris was like a Porsche 911 or BMW M3. Maybe not perfect analogies but that's my take. A combo of the two would be perfect!
post #9 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 05:18 PM

Oh, and I liked the power steering on the Polaris better...
post #10 of 131 Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 PM

I shopped both machines. I liked the styling and build quality of the Can Am over the Polaris. I liked the Rotax V twin. I liked the instrumentation a bit better on the Can Am. I liked the seat better on the Can Am, the Polaris was too soft for me.

I didn't like the larger turning diameter of the Can Am, about 3' by my measurements. I don't like the jerky slow speed operation, like backing up to the trailer hitch or into the garage. The shift linkage isn't as smooth on the Can Am, and sometimes takes some wiggle to get the gears to mesh. People say handling and ride is better on the Polaris, but I have no complaints with my Can Am. The Can Am was more expensive. Engaging 4wd requires one to stop where Polaris does not.

I have had no complaints with my Can Am after two years. I don't ride it hard, and actually not as often as I would like. I do plow snow with it and it does as well as any other ATV. I find maintenance to be rather clumsy on the Can Am. There are 11 plastic body parts to remove to do a complete fluid change. Clearance over the cylinder heads is very tight for setting valve clearances. I read folks have more trouble with the Polaris ATV, but I have no objective data demonstrating this.

The nice part is you have two very good choices. Like others have said, get one or the other and enjoy it.

David

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode