• 1 Post By Jorge570
  • 1 Post By BombardierBomb
  • 1 Post By BombardierBomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2018 XMR 1000 Swamped compression different

Hey guys
I had a customer just stop by with a nice new 2018 XMR 1000 that he swamped last weekend. He towed it home, checked his engine oil and found water in it, changed it out 4 times with new filters. Also changed and cleaned air filter box etc. Than he took it on a run and fount it was boggy at times when it got warm, mostly under heavy throttle but not always. Than the gear box blew a pile of oil out of his vent onto his front tire. He got it home and found water was in the gear box from when he swamped it, he flushed it out and took it for a drive and found it was still boggy. He than did a pressure test on each cylinder, front was 125 and rear was 150. This is when he brought it to me. I could not find any issue and told him to change the gas, he has not done that since he swamped it. My questions is shouldnt the cylinders be the same psi? Is this the fault when warm or does he just still have water in the system?
No codes and buds does not pick anything up. No mods on bike other than slip on yoshi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Usually compression rises when it heats up. The metals expand and gaps close. 25 psi differential does seem a bit high of gap to me though. Maybe a bent rod on the low side giving it less stroke. It's it smoking?

He who dies with the most toys, wins.
post #3 of 7 Old Today, 05:07 AM

Hard to believe he changed the oil 4 times but failed to drain or change any of the other fluids. More then likely have water in the gas
Limited likes this.

2017 Can-Am Outlander 570DPS

2001 Ski Doo MXZ 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old Today, 07:18 AM

I have severe reservations that this ends well, heh.

EVEN IF the water that was introduced into the motor was reverse-osmosis triple filtered distilled water, and not sandy/muddy/swamp water....

There's still water in the crankcase. ANY movement of internal parts with water in there, will ultimately lead to component failure. How many videos are on youtube that reflect the grit and muck remaining in the cases, despite numerous "flushes" by the owner?

He couldn't have gotten all the harmful contaminants out by merely changing the oil, and now he's run the motor plenty enough to sandblast the internals..... and that's "just" the engine, there's water in the fuel, so there goes your fuel pump/injectors.....he's already admitted to not addressing the gearbox, tho it may have survived...

Anyway, I'll just refer back to my opening statement, heh.
DaveB likes this.

"Barn find" 05 Bombardier 400 MAX XT - stock
Upgrades:
12" Beadlocks and 28" S/W Outlaws
WildBoar Radiator Relocate
OPT7 C1 Lightbars 14" and 22"
SYATV Snorkels

Previous bikes:
07 Brute 785
07 Renegade 800
08 Outlander 800 Gorilla edition
08 Outlander 800 Max XT Gorilla lifted
The Following User Says Thank You to BombardierBomb For This Useful Post:
Limited (Today)
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

I agree guys. I told him to drain the gas, he said how would water get in the tank... I told him the same way it got into your motor and gear box. He agreed and went home to pump the fuel out and found a muddy mess in the bottom of the tank.
Not sure what his plans are but I told him hes looking at long term engine problems and that it will still have dirt in.. well everything. This is what was in the bottom of his gas tank.
What a shame on a new bike...

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 02:42 PM

I know "it's not your place" but I'd make a low-key attempt to grab the VIN and warn the guy he tries to sell it to in a couple/few days "just rode around in my yard"/"don't ride it as much as I thought" etc, etc...
Limited likes this.

"Barn find" 05 Bombardier 400 MAX XT - stock
Upgrades:
12" Beadlocks and 28" S/W Outlaws
WildBoar Radiator Relocate
OPT7 C1 Lightbars 14" and 22"
SYATV Snorkels

Previous bikes:
07 Brute 785
07 Renegade 800
08 Outlander 800 Gorilla edition
08 Outlander 800 Max XT Gorilla lifted
The Following User Says Thank You to BombardierBomb For This Useful Post:
Limited (Today)
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombardierBomb View Post
I know "it's not your place" but I'd make a low-key attempt to grab the VIN and warn the guy he tries to sell it to in a couple/few days "just rode around in my yard"/"don't ride it as much as I thought" etc, etc...
I just got off the phone with him, he seems like a pretty solid guy and is set on keeping his bike regardless what of needs to be done to fix it. Im sure he will be back with some more issues.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode