Tie rods - Can-Am ATV Forum
 4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Tie rods

I've done some decent searches and can't find any real awnsers . 2016 outty 1000 xt-p with about 600 miles on it . Heard some knocking during a ride , got it home while doing my clean/ post ride inspection , noticed tie rods ends are getting pretty loose and knocking .... Is this normal at this milage ? Is it a weak point on these machines ? Guys just change the ends out or ive read some guys change out the whole arms for aftermarket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadoo View Post
I've done some decent searches and can't find any real awnsers . 2016 outty 1000 xt-p with about 600 miles on it . Heard some knocking during a ride , got it home while doing my clean/ post ride inspection , noticed tie rods ends are getting pretty loose and knocking .... Is this normal at this milage ? Is it a weak point on these machines ? Guys just change the ends out or ive read some guys change out the whole arms for aftermarket
The tie rods are soft if you get in just the right situation they bend. I horse shoed my left one 20 miles from my truck was quite a challenge to get back. If replacing the inner & outer ends I would recommend replacing the tie rods also with after market beefed up ones. The ends also get loose with low mileage.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

So this is fairly common for this machine ? I found aftermarket ends for like $40 but all new beefed up (12mm) American star arms and ends for $90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM

I have Am star rods & ends had a problem with them a few years ago they sent me replacements so far holding up. The only thing when installing the Am star ends you will need to shim under the castle nut so the cotter key will hold the nut tight or drill a new hole lower. These OE tie rod ends are not tapered fit so you need to get them tight or you will have a problem. You might want to call them to see if they have fixed this yet. Other than the hole placement this current set has held up well. If your going to replace the ends buy the whole kit both ends & tie rod.

Last edited by ROCKCRUSHER; 04-15-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Maybe a nyloc nut and some shims just to keep er tight from backing off ? Yeah not being a tapered fit , will post problems if not tight , good insight , thank you !
post #6 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM

That's really disappointing to hear, you'd really have to think they would've sorted out something as simple as tie rods by now.

But I put some Am Star tie rods on my Brute, quality product, good price, fwiw.

"Barn find" 05 Bombardier 400 MAX XT - stock
Upgrades:
12" Beadlocks and 28" S/W Outlaws
WildBoar Radiator Relocate
OPT7 C1 Lightbars 14" and 22"
SYATV Snorkels

Previous bikes:
07 Brute 785
07 Renegade 800
08 Outlander 800 Gorilla edition
08 Outlander 800 Max XT Gorilla lifted
post #7 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Honestly never gave it any thought of the arms or ends being a weak point , they looked decent , but now I'm looking into it alot of guys bend um like pool noodles quite frequently ? And couldn't imagine how much fun THAT is to try and limp home with one wheel pointing out , prolly does wonders for everything else ,axles, ball joints bearings , while trying to limp it home .... Glad I checked into it I guess , rather spend some little coin now and no worry than be fu*ked on the trail 20 miles from the truck in a mud hole
post #8 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKCRUSHER View Post
I have Am star rods & ends had a problem with them a few years ago they sent me replacements so far holding up. The only thing when installing the Am star ends you will need to shim under the castle nut so the cotter key will hold the nut tight or drill a new hole lower. These OE tie rod ends are not tapered fit so you need to get them tight or you will have a problem. You might want to call them to see if they have fixed this yet. Other than the hole placement this current set has held up well. If your going to replace the ends buy the whole kit both ends & tie rod.

I just bought a set recently, they have definitely not fixed this issue, but they are very heavy duty.

2010 Outlander 800r
CVTECH, Pitbull Growlers on ITP SS wheels , Ricochet skids, BRP stealth snorkel kit, BRP rad relocate, heated grips & throttle, Elka stage 3 shocks, Hayden temp control.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadoo View Post
Honestly never gave it any thought of the arms or ends being a weak point , they looked decent , but now I'm looking into it alot of guys bend um like pool noodles quite frequently ? And couldn't imagine how much fun THAT is to try and limp home with one wheel pointing out , prolly does wonders for everything else ,axles, ball joints bearings , while trying to limp it home .... Glad I checked into it I guess , rather spend some little coin now and no worry than be fu*ked on the trail 20 miles from the truck in a mud hole

Takes 5 min to trail fix. Pop the outer tie rod end out, unscrew from the inner, stick it in someone’s trailer hitch and straighten er out 1/2 decent. The stock rods really are soft metal.
Woodchopper and purelybarbed like this.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

2016 Renegade 1000 XMR: "Suck My Wake II"
QSC primary, STM secondary, Yoshimura,
BRP Rad relocate, Monster EFI reflash,
Cecco post brace, Rigid LED, skids, blue plasma rope.

2016 Outlander 570L DPS: "Tank"
BRP snorkel and rad relocate, 27" Outback XTs,
LED, blue plasma rope, Fox shocks, Alpine Flex plow.

Past machines:
2012 Renegade 1000 XXC
2008 Outlander 400 EFI
2007 Outlander 800 XT
Lots of older non-BRP junk
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveB For This Useful Post:
Kipp (Yesterday)
post #10 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

That's IF u got tools or can get it out ..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode