3Likes
  • 1 Post By BombardierBomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

06 400 Outlander max

Hey all, I'm after some advice from anyone that's ever done a build on th 400 motor with half of one of the mr rpm 840/ 800/ kits.

Also some advice on axles for the rear. Have sixity coming for the front, but hard to find the back ones.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalopa View Post
Hey all, I'm after some advice from anyone that's ever done a build on th 400 motor with half of one of the mr rpm 840/ 800/ kits.

Also some advice on axles for the rear. Have sixity coming for the front, but hard to find the back ones.

Its carburetted by the way.
I was thinking of doing maverick head with an oversized piston kit. It's getting a big dog exhaust as well. Would be great to hear from someone that has done this in the past and can offer some advice on it??

post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 PM

Can't really give any firsthand experience other than to say theres a vid or two on youtube detailing that exact bike/build. Could get ahold of the owner/shop and get some advice?
kalopa likes this.

"Barn find" 05 Bombardier 400 MAX XT - stock
Upgrades:
12" Beadlocks and 28" S/W Outlaws
WildBoar Radiator Relocate
D2 Fender Flares
OPT7 C1 Lightbars 14" and 22"
SYATV Snorkels

Previous bikes:
07 Brute 785
07 Renegade 800
08 Outlander 800 Gorilla edition
08 Outlander 800 Max XT Gorilla lifted
The Following User Says Thank You to BombardierBomb For This Useful Post:
kalopa (04-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombardierBomb View Post
Can't really give any firsthand experience other than to say theres a vid or two on youtube detailing that exact bike/build. Could get ahold of the owner/shop and get some advice?
I have seen the clips you are talking about. Dont really cover everything though

As for the rear axles, sixity doesn't have any listed that will fit the 06 400 max, but highlifter has some listed that say they fit pretty much every model. Can I just buy 2006 800 max axles?

post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I have seen the clips you are talking about. Dont really cover everything though

As for the rear axles, sixity doesn't have any listed that will fit the 06 400 max, but highlifter has some listed that say they fit pretty much every model. Can I just buy 2006 800 max axles?

Kneejerk answer is yes, then I went to check the OEM part numbers, and the CV axles are different part numbers from 400 to 800, which had me scratching my head.....

Hubs are same part numbers, diff is same part numbers. Why are the CV axles different? Perhaps the 800s are overbuilt/thicker? Maybe someone will come along and confirm.

FWIW, tho, the max designation has no bearing on the CV axles, only drivetrain-related component that chassis length difference affects is the rear driveshaft length. You may have already known that...
kalopa likes this.

Upgrades:
D2 Fender Flares
SYATV Snorkels

Previous bikes:
07 Brute 785
07 Renegade 800
kalopa (04-19-2019)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Kneejerk answer is yes, then I went to check the OEM part numbers, and the CV axles are different part numbers from 400 to 800, which had me scratching my head.....

Hubs are same part numbers, diff is same part numbers. Why are the CV axles different? Perhaps the 800s are overbuilt/thicker? Maybe someone will come along and confirm.

FWIW, tho, the max designation has no bearing on the CV axles, only drivetrain-related component that chassis length difference affects is the rear driveshaft length. You may have already known that...
I didn't know that, thanks for the reply.

That's what I have found with my endless hours of searching. All the parts lists say they are different, and no one is selling the correct part, but one , maybe two companies are saying they are all interchangeable, like the front are. I just want to know for sure before I pay to ship parts to hawaii. There is no point shipping them back for a refund.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's what I have found with my endless hours of searching. All the parts lists say they are different, and no one is selling the correct part, but one , maybe two companies are saying they are all interchangeable, like the front are. I just want to know for sure before I pay to ship parts to hawaii. There is no point shipping them back for a refund.

Yeah, I mean, the chassis are all the same (where it matters), the diffs are the same, the hubs are the same, the swingarms are the same, regardless of max or shorty chassis, if comparing like to like. So the only answer I can come up with is the V-twin axles are beefier, perhaps? They're 3 times the cost, which was shocking to me

Max chassis bikes aren't all that much different from the shorty's, just get a longer driveshaft, longer side panels, longer rear brake line, that's about it. CV axles don't mind either way.
kalopa likes this.

Upgrades:
D2 Fender Flares
SYATV Snorkels

Previous bikes:
07 Brute 785
07 Renegade 800
kalopa (04-19-2019)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I mean, the chassis are all the same (where it matters), the diffs are the same, the hubs are the same, the swingarms are the same, regardless of max or shorty chassis, if comparing like to like. So the only answer I can come up with is the V-twin axles are beefier, perhaps? They're 3 times the cost, which was shocking to me

Max chassis bikes aren't all that much different from the shorty's, just get a longer driveshaft, longer side panels, longer rear brake line, that's about it. CV axles don't mind either way.
That's where I am at too. Unless someone else can tell me otherwise I think I will just order them.
I am sure I found one page that listed the max one superceded and replaced by the same as the rest of the models, but I can't find it again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode