Horrible Experience Ordering New Outlander Max XTP - Can-Am ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Horrible Experience Ordering New Outlander Max XTP

Sorry in advance for the long post. I put a $500 deposit down on a 2019 Outlander Max XTP 850 April 14th. Dealer had to order one from the factory. He told me it would take 10 days to get it which would have been April 24th. I advised him I would be up north May 3-5 and would pick it up then. Well, the 24th came and went. Was told by the dealer it was “in transit” and he would contact once it was in. I called several times since then to check the Status of my ATV and each time my dealer told me it was “still in transit”. He told me there was no way for him to track it, so he was basically at the mercy of when ever it showed up.

May 1st rolled around and I noticed rebates changed for the better. I contacted the dealer and said I expected to get the better rebates considering I hadn’t taken delivery yet. He told me I would get the better rebates. Dealer said he would check with his dealer rep to find out where my machine was since he couldn’t track it. Dealer said he would call me back by the end of the day. Well, the dealer never called me back, so I had to call the dealer again. Dealer said he hadn’t talked to his dealer rep because May 1st was the introduction of new programs and he “didn’t want to bother his rep” because dealer reps “are very busy when new promotions come out”.

He assured me my ATV was on its way. I said I was going to be in town May 3 and would be arriving with my trailer to pick up the ATV. The dealer said he would call me if there was any problems. Well, I didn’t hear from him, so I arrived at the dealer with my trailer. Guess what, no ATV. No phone call from the dealer. Again, he said he had no idea where it was and was not able to track it. I have been extremely polite throughout this whole process. Per the call log on my cell phone, I have contacted the dealer nine times during the past month. Each time, the dealer said he would call me back with the status of my unit. To this day, he has never called me. The one time he called me back was before I put my $500 deposit down. Once I put down the deposit, He never once called me back.

Yesterday, I called the dealer again and said if he was not able to give me an exact delivery date, I was going to buy an XTP that was 90 miles away from my house. The dealer asked me if I was referring to a specific dealer in Illinois. I said I was. I told my dealer I was going to be back up north in a couple of weeks and did not want to miss out on another weekend of riding. He said he understood and wouldn’t hold it against me if I bought the machine from the other dealer. He even said he would refund my money. Well, I called that dealer and they were $600 more than the deal I worked out on my initial purchase, so I’m kind of annoyed at this point and don’t want to spend more money to buy the same machine.

My question is this. How is it that a Can Am dealer cannot track the location of a unit they order from the factory? That makes zero sense to me. My guess is that he never actually ordered one from the factory and was hoping he could get one from another dealer, but XTP’s are in short supply in my area. Only two and a 250 mile radius. Needless to say, I’m extremely frustrated at this point. I contacted Can Am customer Support yesterday afternoon and explained my situation. They are fast tracking and investigation to get to the bottom of this.

I have owned a 1998 Sea Doo and 2016 Outlander Max XT 650. I currently own a 2014 Evinrude 150 H.O. and a 2019 Ski Doo Renegade Adrenaline 600r. I have always been a loyal BRP customer. I have to say, this has been the worst purchasing experience I have ever experienced. Not once has that dealer ever returned any of my phone calls.

My Question to you guys is, what would be a reasonable expectation for this to be made right by Can Am and or the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
Bad experience. If I had to guess the best you'll get is your deposit back. If the XTPs are that rare in your area the dealer will have no problem selling it once/if it arrives.
You may be able to get something through can am, but might only be an accessory credit or something but it would be worth a try IMO.

2012 Outlander XT 1000 Magnesium Silver
29.5" Outlaw 2s on 14" ITP SS212s, Dalton Clutch Kit & B/V Sec. Spring, Snorkels, Rad Relocate w/ Fan Override Switch, HMF Swamp XL, 1.5" Spring Spacers, Billet Knuckle Shifter and Gas Cap
post #3 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 PM

Sadly this is the same case where I live where BRP are in such high demand the dealers aren't obligated to provide good customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
CanAm might kick in something from the "customer satisfaction" wallet but it sounds like all of this is on the "dealer".

They may have ordered it and "guessed" at when it would arrive. If there is back orders and lot's of dealer orders in front of yours maybe there was never a promised date from the mfg.

I bought a new 2019 back in October. All my dealer could say was "usually" 6 to 8 weeks but depends on production, demands and orders ahead of theirs. Mine actually came in less than two weeks and the dealer seemed more surprised than I was.

Maybe your dealer didn't want to tell you "we have no clue how long it will take" because they didn't want to lose the sale but had no idea whether it would be two weeks or two months.

Graham

RCAF Retired (1981-2002)

2019 Outlander Max 570 XT
post #5 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galamb View Post
CanAm might kick in something from the "customer satisfaction" wallet but it sounds like all of this is on the "dealer".

They may have ordered it and "guessed" at when it would arrive. If there is back orders and lot's of dealer orders in front of yours maybe there was never a promised date from the mfg.

I bought a new 2019 back in October. All my dealer could say was "usually" 6 to 8 weeks but depends on production, demands and orders ahead of theirs. Mine actually came in less than two weeks and the dealer seemed more surprised than I was.

Maybe your dealer didn't want to tell you "we have no clue how long it will take" because they didn't want to lose the sale but had no idea whether it would be two weeks or two months.
Agree with it being a dealer issue and not Can-Am. Last year I bought a new 1000 Max XTP in April. My dealer didn't have one but tried quite hard to get one on a dealer trade. They are quite rare indeed as there were only two left in the province and they were not going to be given up. I asked my dealer about ordering, he said at best 6-8 weeks but most likely longer and told me to go ahead and get the one from the dealer that had it since it is available (fantastic dealer who really cares about the customer). I did and drove 700km one way to get it.

2 weeks is unreasonable low. For comparison purposes, I ordered a new F150 earlier this week (they make a few more of these than they do Can-Ams I imagine) and my wait is 6-8 weeks on that. I would call Can-Am directly and find out about the order. Can't hurt.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I did contact Can Am directly. They said the delay in delivery is due to unforeseen issues at the US/Mexico border. They said trying to locate a specific unit is very difficult because “the shipping info works in loads and is not in real time.” Can Am said I just have to be patient and wait. They were not able to give me any sort of timeframe. I’ve started looking for other instock units at other dealers. I am contemplating a 1000 to expand availability. It will cost me $1600 more for the 1000.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 05:38 PM

I had somewhat the same experience. I ordered mine (Red 2019 outlander max 850 xt) the first of April from a dealer in Montana (I live in SD) cause this particular dealer does charge assembly/document fees. He said the same thing plus it could be 4 to 5 months before it could show up when I inquired about mine cause I'm supposed to pick mine up on the 24th of May. So I started looking around for a dealer that had one. Found one in Denver, the only one to have one. Both places are the same distance away would rather drive than miss out on all the summer rides.
I thought it might have been a color or 850 issue guess not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 Old 05-16-2019, 02:00 PM

In 2017 I was looking for a Can-Am Outlander MAX.

I found a dealer 200 miles away had last year's model 2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX 650 DPS. Brand new in color gray with zero miles.

MSRP was $10,700, I negotiated the price of $8,950 over email and also free delivery.

Luckily for me I found a dealer willing to deal over a last year's model they no longer wanted on their property. Everything went smoothly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited by Yooper650; 05-17-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-17-2019, 01:11 PM

I'm no longer buying a quad this year, for the same reason. I wanted it before the Rio Grande gets water, and dealer told me it'd take 1 week to get one ordered from the factory. I asked to get that in writing, and he refused. He said he'd had to put in writing 3+ weeks, and I said why the hell he told me 1 week then. Just to make the sale, obviously. The OP has been waiting almost 5. Even 3 weeks would have put me at the end of the dry river season, where you can get to a lot of places. I live right next to it, so no loading charade needed, nor a trailer or truck. I got a good deal for a 2019 Max XT-P at $13,200 out the door, incuding a Yoshi slip-on (not installed), using the current $300 rebate + 2-yr warranty, out of a $13,699 MSRP. Found one in stock $200 more expensive near my house, but this TX dealer wanted to charge me 8.25% sales tax, so over a grand more expensive. No way. Will consider one again at the end of summer, when irrigation season ends. It'd be stupid to buy it now, and park it for 6 months. Oh well.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM

That's a really terrible story .
I'm not sure I could have remain polite as long as you did .
Thankfully I have 5 dealers within an hour and a half drive so I would have pulled the plug on May 3rd when I showed up with my trailer and there was no bike .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode