3Likes
  • 1 Post By Underworld
  • 1 Post By Dr_Z
  • 1 Post By Stinger51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Bike feels tippy - suggestions?

I'm fairly new to riding (maybe 30 hours on intermediate and some advanced terrain), but my Outlander feels a bit tippy on steep sideways slants. I've got the 570 Outlander Max DPS.
Other people I'm riding with don't seem too concerned with going over the same obstacles and roots.

I've reduced the shocks pre-load to 1 notch above the loosest. That seemed to help a bit. I'm also running 5psi on Carlisle ACT's. 26 x 12 x 8 in the front and 26 x 12 x 10 in the rear.
Other things I can think of are:

+ Get wider tires to make the bike wider
+ Get wheels with negative offset to make the bike wider
+ Remove sway bar
+ Elka Suspension - but holding off for that as it is $$$

Any other ideas or suggestions?
What sort of wheels can people recommend? I'd like to stick to a 12 inch wheel and 26 inch tire.
If i should do wheels - what kind of offset?
Is this a common issue?

Looking for advice

Last edited by Underworld; 05-15-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 12:03 AM

Garage
I noticed the same thing on my outlander too and I assume it's because of the stiff rear sway bar. The front will be fine going over uneven terrain but as soon as the rear tires hit the articulation just is not there and it bucks you to the side. Unfortunately if you disconnect the sway bar high speed cornering will be really tippy but for slow, rough, and off camber terrain I'm sure it would help to disconnect it. Personally I just deal with it like I would a snowmobile and just lean hard.

2015 Outlander XT 650
post #3 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 AM

The easiest and most cost effective solution would be to add a set of 1" (so, 2" total) wheel spacers to your machine and see if that does the trick.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ATV-Wheel...frcectupt=true

2017 Can Am Outlander 450

Outty 1000 Max Springs/Shocks, GSE Performance Trail Tamer Exhaust, Dobeck EJK Tuner, 22" LED Light Bar, Heat Demon Grips/Thumb/Butt Warmer, Trail Tech Temp Gauge, Airbox Lid #248 O-ring Mod, Synthetic Winch Rope, 54" Alpine Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Supporting Sponsors

^^^ X2

Wheel spacers would definitely be the cheapest and easiest solution if you want to hold off on any big wheel, tire, and suspension upgrades.

10% Forum Member Discount On Any Purchase up to $400.00. No Multiple coupon codes excepted.
Just enter CANAMFORUM code at checkout!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

True regarding spacers. I thought i'd look at wheels because they would put less stress on the joint if i could manage like a 1-2 inch total gain in width with offsets.
25TH INFANTRY likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 11:48 AM

My 2011 Outlander XXC used to feel really tippy. It had the front sway bar and I finally took it off. Much better now. I'm sure yours only has the rear bar so no help there though.

One thng I would recommend is to either have someone jack up one side of the quad with you on it or get yourself on a safe side hill and get used to the balance point. It took me a while sidehilling with tracks on to get used to the tippy feel. I stopped on side hills several times where I felt it was going to tip and rocked the quad to get familiar with the fact it wasn't going over. Might help anyway.
BombardierBomb likes this.

2011 Outty 800XXC
Dobeck AFR+, Hayden fan controller, QSC Rev-X primary/STM secondary, TORQ Locker
26x9 Kenda Bearclaw HTR on No Limit Octane custom wheels
Powermadd hand guards, RotopaX 4 gallon, Symtec heated grips, Homemade UHMW skid
Tatou 4S tracks with SpeedoHealer and Klim winter gear

My YouTube page
(mostly unedited track rides)
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld View Post
True regarding spacers. I thought i'd look at wheels because they would put less stress on the joint if i could manage like a 1-2 inch total gain in width with offsets.
i would look into wheels if i were you. Sti just came out with a new 12 inch rim, HD4 that looks nice and its cheap, $75 per rim. that was shipped price on amazon and eBay. 5x2 off set will get you about 1.25 wider per side.

2010 Renegade 800R XXC
2011 Outlander 800R XXC
2011 Outlander 800R XXC
post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 PM

Your issue is the crappy stock suspension on all the trim levels below the XTP. I put a set of Fox Podiums on my Max XT for $580. Totally resolved the issue. Very stable on off camber hills and high speed cornering.
SHMOKY likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 AM

All excellent recommendations here so far, and I'll go back to the very first few words in your opening statement "I'm fairly new to riding"

I'd tell ya to get some seat time on the thing, get used to its behaviors and "feel", before going after wheels/tires/suspension/etc. It's just like tuning a racecar, you don't make sweeping major changes after an unexpected result, but rather, minor ones.

I'd take the air pressures up a few psi in your tires, get rid of some of that sidewall roll/flex, and grab you a set of wheel spacers. Those are cheap/easy to install/completely reversible, and in a "minor", say 1" width, really shouldn't bother the wheel bearings.

Other than that, like I said, just ride it. I also like DrZ idea of going and ahead and manually "tipping it", to get a feel for the point of no return. It's likely a lot more than your seat of the pants meter is leading you to believe. If your other riding mates are traversing the same terrain without too much drama, again, it may be more of your unfamiliarity with the bikes limitations, than the bike itself.

"Barn find" 05 Bombardier 400 MAX XT - stock
Upgrades:
12" Beadlocks and 28" S/W Outlaws
WildBoar Radiator Relocate
D2 Fender Flares
OPT7 C1 Lightbars 14" and 22"
SYATV Snorkels

Previous bikes:
07 Brute 785
07 Renegade 800
08 Outlander 800 Gorilla edition
08 Outlander 800 Max XT Gorilla lifted

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am ATV Discussion > Can-Am Outlander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode