800R fuel pump replacement - Page 2 - Can-Am ATV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 83 Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member / Experienced Builder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

well i just pulled the tank on my buddy's renegade and the pre '09 fuel pumps are the same. they are just a lot more of a PITA to get out since you have to pull the whole tank.

i really think the reason why i've heard of more '09 fuel pumps failing is because of the larger in tank filter. the previous years have a filter that is half the size, so you'd notice the effects of a clogged filter much faster. when that happens, we all know to drop the tank and clean it. since the '09's have a larger filter, my theory is once junk gets past the pump and clogs up the regulator, the fuel pump gets overloaded and that is what actually burns it up. that also goes well with my theory that the '09 style doesn't have an inline filter because the regulator catches what the in tank filter misses. the '09 style goes from the pump, to the regulator, to the single fuel line to the injectors. the previous style went from the pump, to an inline filter, to a Y, to the injectors on one side and to the fuel return line on the other, which went to the fuel pressure regulator. the two line system works better for putting an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator in to jack up the fuel pressure. in the '09 style, you'd have to remove the intank pressure regulator and put one outside the tank. its not hard to do, but not as easy as previous years. these are just my theories, and i have been dinking for four hours (yes, i started at 10:15 AM), so take it for what its worth, lmao.

highlifter's most wanted!!!

KMC XD badland chrome rims, 31" outlaws, relocated radiator, snorkels, works shocks, custom bracket lift, comet clutch, Mrrpm 840, Mrrpm cams, Mrrpm port and polish, Mrrpm over sized valves, springs, retainers, etc, 12.7:1 compression w/ CP pistons, 14mm spark plugs, 50mm TB, '09 intake, '09 filter, full muzzy w/ titanium can, rox anti-vibe risers, and flexx bars.

32's on CCATV aluminum locks for deep water pit racing. 29.5x10's on steel crush locks for not as deep water pit racing. 29.5x12's on type 7's for thick mud pit racing. 26x12's on black deltas for drag racing.
31x10.5 Falken's on ITP SS212 platinum 15's for street riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 83 Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM

very nice wake ? for you whats easest way to hook up a fuel pressur tester to the outty? 08 650 is what i have
post #13 of 83 Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

you can take out the fuel filter and put it where it goes, or tap in somewhere else. where it goes to the Y piece, you can remove one side, hook up the pressure gauge there, and use another piece of hose on the other side to the Y.

KMC XD badland chrome rims, 31" outlaws, relocated radiator, snorkels, works shocks, custom bracket lift, comet clutch, Mrrpm 840, Mrrpm cams, Mrrpm port and polish, Mrrpm over sized valves, springs, retainers, etc, 12.7:1 compression w/ CP pistons, 14mm spark plugs, 50mm TB, '09 intake, '09 filter, full muzzy w/ titanium can, rox anti-vibe risers, and flexx bars.

32's on CCATV aluminum locks for deep water pit racing. 29.5x10's on steel crush locks for not as deep water pit racing. 29.5x12's on type 7's for thick mud pit racing. 26x12's on black deltas for drag racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 83 Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM

here's a funny question for you wake, im working on an 08 fuel pump (bottom style). How in the heck do you get the fuel line off the barb end of the pump? That short black line looks to be shrink fit or something, I can't pull it off without thinking im going to tear the line. May end up cutting it off and replacing with a regular piece of fuel hose...
post #15 of 83 Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

i don't know. i didn't try taking that off when i cleaned out the tank on my '07. i just left them attached. knowing how i do things, i'd probably get frustrated with it, cut it down the side, then put another piece on it.

post #16 of 83 Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 PM

yea I was thinking the same. I come back out the shop to make sure the airtex fuel pump was the same as the 09 and thought about it, never went back out there, lol!

I dont think my pump is the problem, just the pre-filter was clogged bad. I just want to pull the pump so i can remove and clean the regulator as well. The funny part was it would still read 46-48 psi on a gauge just didnt have enough volume to run right under a load..
post #17 of 83 Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
well i just pulled the tank on my buddy's renegade and the pre '09 fuel pumps are the same. they are just a lot more of a PITA to get out since you have to pull the whole tank.

i really think the reason why i've heard of more '09 fuel pumps failing is because of the larger in tank filter. the previous years have a filter that is half the size, so you'd notice the effects of a clogged filter much faster. when that happens, we all know to drop the tank and clean it. since the '09's have a larger filter, my theory is once junk gets past the pump and clogs up the regulator, the fuel pump gets overloaded and that is what actually burns it up. that also goes well with my theory that the '09 style doesn't have an inline filter because the regulator catches what the in tank filter misses. the '09 style goes from the pump, to the regulator, to the single fuel line to the injectors. the previous style went from the pump, to an inline filter, to a Y, to the injectors on one side and to the fuel return line on the other, which went to the fuel pressure regulator. the two line system works better for putting an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator in to jack up the fuel pressure. in the '09 style, you'd have to remove the intank pressure regulator and put one outside the tank. its not hard to do, but not as easy as previous years. these are just my theories, and i have been dinking for four hours (yes, i started at 10:15 AM), so take it for what its worth, lmao.
What style or brand of after market regulators works on the older style systems. What do you do with the old regulator? Do you leave it attached and run the original and a after market together? I want to jack up the pressure before going to bigger injectors first.

2006 800 outlander xt
post #18 of 83 Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Thank you for this post. I just brought my canam to the shop to get the fuel pump replaced ( after 1/2 tank it would run right) and they said they could not because it did not send a code to the computer. SO I will pick it up today and tell them I WILL DO IT MYSELF! This post was perfect timing for me. I should have just done it all myself anyway.
post #19 of 83 Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
What style or brand of after market regulators works on the older style systems. What do you do with the old regulator? Do you leave it attached and run the original and a after market together? I want to jack up the pressure before going to bigger injectors first.

i'm pretty sure this is the one mrrpm recommended to me a while ago:

Magnafuel MP-9950 MagnaFuel EFI Regulators & Fittings

don't worry about the old regulator, it is set to 50 psi. if you have one that sets the pressure to say 70 psi, the stock one won't do anything (i think). the stock one is actually part of the fuel pump assembly in the old ones, so it is harder to remove.

post #20 of 83 Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph9936 View Post
Thank you for this post. I just brought my canam to the shop to get the fuel pump replaced ( after 1/2 tank it would run right) and they said they could not because it did not send a code to the computer. SO I will pick it up today and tell them I WILL DO IT MYSELF! This post was perfect timing for me. I should have just done it all myself anyway.

i'm pretty sure at the dealer they can only get the entire assembly anyways, which is quite a bit more than just the pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am ATV Forum > Can-Am Tech Area > Can-Am Service Bulletins /Recalls / How To

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode