Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 outlander HO
I have a no spark condition. Long Story on the quad, been sitting in a basement for several years, at some point someone has taken it apart and started putting it back together. I bought it not running. I did get it running however the starter solenoid was sticking and I had to disconnect the battery to get the starter to stop. I ordered a new solenoid installed it and now I have no spark, coincidence? I replaced it with the old one and still no spark. What I cannot figure with out is, regardless of which one is installed when I release the starter switch it usually gets one spark on the plug and that’s it. I checked the stator, one the three yellow wires I am getting .4 to .7 ohms between the three. The CPS has .917k ohms. I am curious if the kill switch is bad. I can’t figure out which wires go to it. I’ve moved the switch back and forth several times, tried to start in N and Park. Same result, no spark when cranking. Replaced coil just to check also, did not help Can anyone give some advice Please?
Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
It's always possible you smoked a fuse or relay when replacing the starter solenoid, check your harness real good, especially behind the ignition switch under the pod there. Rats had chewed through my CDI wiring behind the ignition switch while mine slumbered in its barn before I bought it, could've happened to yours too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The battery was disconnected before doing any work on the unit. I did check all fuses and none are blown. I have traced the wires and all seem to be in good condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, did you ever get your problem solved? I have the same condition on a renegade right now and its driving me crazy.
I would appreciate and tips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, did you ever get your problem solved? I have the same condition on a renegade right now and its driving me crazy.
I would appreciate and tips.
I assume you guys have both sanded down your ground contact to the frame and reattached... I’m working on a no spark issue too.. gonna check fuses relays and ground tomorrow. Let’s keep in touch.

·
Registered
Green 2006 outlander 400 XT, yellow 06 outlander 400 max XT
256 Posts
a comment on the solenoid problem. I just had that happen on my 06 400. I had put a new solenoid on it and worked good the previous ride. I loaded it up Friday and the starter was still cranking it over even with the switch and kill switch off. I had to rap on the solenoid to get the contacts to release. It worked good on the ride Saturday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
a comment on the solenoid problem. I just had that happen on my 06 400. I had put a new solenoid on it and worked good the previous ride. I loaded it up Friday and the starter was still cranking it over even with the switch and kill switch off. I had to rap on the solenoid to get the contacts to release. It worked good on the ride Saturday.
That’s great! I am getting no lights or power to my gauges or anything so I feel like it’s a fuse or ground. I will be checking it over later today.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Faulty key switch maybe? On my 06 when I bought it last year, the switch was problematic. I sometimes would have to wiggle it to get the starter to work. It eventually stopped working. I got a new one and fixed the problem. I pulled the old one apart and saw where it shorted out and melted some of the inside. But you say it cranks but the switch won't turn on the lights and the gauge doesn't power up? If the kill switch is in the off position, does it still crank? If it does, I don't think it should be able to. I haven't tried to do that on mine. Maybe I will when I get home later

·
Registered
15 Posts
So to update everyone I pulled the caps off the fuses today and found the main 20A fuse blown... replaced it and hooked w battery to the back and got gauges to power up and winch to work. Still no headlights but tapped on brake light and it came on!! I was still not getting any spark when I tried to fire it up so I took apart all the rear battery connections ground hots etc and sanded them all down... then took off the connectors for the starter solenoid and sprayed the whole thing w contact cleaner then re attached everything... still no spark... took the coil and spark plug wire off at the front and cleaned them up sanded the contacts and sprayed w cleaner... got some resistance on the coil and the wire but I’m not sure what I should have been getting. I put it all back together and let the spark plug dangle along side the head... fired it like that in the dark and I saw a faint sparks then re installed the plug and tried to start the machine. I had some faint popping like it was trying to catch and turn over but it never did. I might just buy new coil and spark plug wire tomorrow from Royal and try that... otherwise what does everyone think?
Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
256 Posts
Faulty key switch maybe? On my 06 when I bought it last year, the switch was problematic. I sometimes would have to wiggle it to get the starter to work. It eventually stopped working. I got a new one and fixed the problem. I pulled the old one apart and saw where it shorted out and melted some of the inside. But you say it cranks but the switch won't turn on the lights and the gauge doesn't power up? If the kill switch is in the off position, does it still crank? If it does, I don't think it should be able to. I haven't tried to do that on mine. Maybe I will when I get home later
So on my 400, key on and kill switch off, it will allow it to crank over but not start. The gauge still gets power also. On my 2013 650 the kill switch seems to do just that, kills everything. On the 06 400 I was expecting it to work like on my snowmobile and the 650 where the kill switch cuts all power.
But sounds like you have made progress. Hopefully the coil fixes your issue.

this past spring on the 400 it started to run rough and intermittent. I found the plug cap and wire were loose and coming apart. I put a new plug cap on and fixed the problem. Maybe you are getting corrosion at the plug cap/wire connection? If the coil doesn't fix it maybe look at that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I’m just going to replace all 3 coil wire and cap. I have not tried to crank it with kill switch off but I will try it today and let you know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I tried to start it with the kill switch off today and mine will also try to crank with the kill switch In the off position... I pulled the plug and checked again for spark and with a hotter 7E plug I was getting much better spark, however when I reinstalled the plug and sprayed it w ether it still did not fire up. Tomorrow I will check the compression. :(

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
when I reinstalled the plug and sprayed it w ether it still did not fire up
hmm, that's concerning. There's not a whole lot to those old 400's, as far as running 'em. Did it ever run, in your ownership? Or what did the PO have to say?

Reactions: Barnman2000

·
Registered
15 Posts
hmm, that's concerning. There's not a whole lot to those old 400's, as far as running 'em. Did it ever run, in your ownership? Or what did the PO have to say?
Basically got the old “it was fine when I put it away not sure what’s wrong with it.” From the last guy... I love wrenching so I was willing to gamble for 900$cad. Hopefully rings piston a fresh hone and gasket kit will help this old girl come back to life. I didn’t see any metal in the oil but it was full of water and looked like chocolate milk so it was hard to really tell. It’s not seized so that’s a plus. I’ll pull the head and inspect further rebuild the top end and hopefully get 110+ compression and then try to fire it up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m surprised that it wouldn’t try to fire a little bit with ether and 70psi compression... I’m getting good spark now with the hotter plug and all the contacts cleaned up. I woulda thought 70 woulda been enough to get it to sputter but it’s giving me no love. I don’t have any oil droplets floating to the top of the rad fluid so I think it was just water in the oil but when I disconnect everything and do the rings piston and gaskets I supposed I might as well flush the rad and refill with nice clean fluid anyways... perhaps the PO just topped up the fluid to make it look good? Hard to say... not getting much info from the guy ie no response to my Qs at all. Get what you pay for I guess! Thanks for all the help guys!! This is fun! Cheers

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
I'm not aware of any real head gasket issues with these/that motor, but perhaps he somehow overheated it and the chocolate milk just blasted the piston rings to the point of that low compression number you're seeing.

Is the decompression lever still on the cam gear?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I gotta do some more research and find out about this decompression lever... not sure at all where it is or what it does. When I find out I’ll let you know! Do you recommend removing it entirely? Is that a major job?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Search the site, me and @Jungleman both detailed removing ours, in various threads, as have others. Highly recommended, easy to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts