Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 800 outlander that jumped time an broke a valve it was left parked 3 years I just went through the engine completely rebuilt the engine got it all back together an it will not crank by the start button so I crossed it over at the solenoid it cranks but no start I sprayed some brake cleaner in the throttle body it fired up for only a second so I checked for injection pulse an it doesn't have any it does have power to them but no pulse any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
Outlander 1000 XMR Outlander 650 XMR
156 Posts
Does the dash light up when the key is on and the kill switch is in the run position? Do you hear the fuel pump priming? Have you checked the fuses and relays? You can try swapping the main relay with the accessories relay. I’d check the connector on the ecm too and make sure it’s not loose.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,382 Posts
Sounds like a communication error between the DESS key and the machines ECM. That's usually what fires the injectors.

Do you have the correct coded key for the bike?

·
Registered
Outlander 1000 XMR Outlander 650 XMR
156 Posts
Sounds like a communication error between the DESS key and the machines ECM. That's usually what fires the injectors.

Do you have the correct coded key for the bike?
The key was my initial thought, but I didn’t see DESS listed on the diagram I pulled for an ‘09 (closest I could find). Do all of the Outlanders have some form of DESS?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,382 Posts
The key was my initial thought, but I didn’t see DESS listed on the diagram I pulled for an ‘09. Do all of the Outlanders have some form of DESS?
AFAIK, all the Gen1 V-twins got the DESS key/ignition setup. The EFI on those machines dictated a true "ECU" which BRP used to facilitate the DESS setup.

Wow- that's a lot of acronyms.... :p 🤦‍♂️

The/my old carb'd 400's didn't bother with DESS until they, too, went EFI in mid-07/08 model year, I think.....

Reactions: Big_D
1 - 7 of 7 Posts