Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all,

any help would be greatly appreciated. I can’t find much info on this lil quad. Quad will start and run for a few minutes then stalls out. Stator or voltage regulator Bad. Looking for test procedures on these two parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is from the manual. I get the pictures to copy, only the words. You can get an electronic manual from Tech Spark for only $15 I believe. I have one for our 90 and another for our 250.

STATOR Static Test: Continuity Disconnect magneto w iring harness connector. RH SIDE OF VEHICLE Set multimeter to n. Connect multimeter between w ires as follows. Read resistance . TERMINAL YELLOW and WHITE RESISTANCE @ 20°C (69°F) 0.8 - 1.0 Q. If it is out of spec replace stator.

VOLTAGE REGULATOR/ RECTIFIER NOTE: First, ensu re battery is in good condition and fully charged prior to performing tests. Static Test: Continuity Due to internal circuitry, there is no static test avail– able to check continu ity. Dynamic Test: DC Current Proceed as follows : Turn lights off . Turn ignition key on and set engine stop switch to RUN. Start engine. 1 Whil e engine is running, remove ma in fuse (see STARTING SYSTEM section). Set multimeter to Adc. Connect multimeter between fuse pins. Read current. TEST ENGINE SPEED CURRENT 5000 RPM Approx. 2.5 A± 0.2 A If current is below specification, check magneto (stator) prior to concluding that rectifier is faulty. Reinstall fuse. Dynamic Test: Voltage Proceed as follows: Set multimeter to Vdc scale. Start engine. Connect multimeter to battery posts . 118 Read voltage. TEST ENGINE SPEED VOLTAGE 5000 RPM 14 - 14.3 Vdc If voltage is above specification, replace voltage regulator/rectifier. If voltage is be low specification, check wiring and connections . Properly secure battery positive terminal boot. NOTE: If the battery will not stay charged, the problem can be any of the charg ing system com– ponents. If these all check good, try a new voltage regulator/rectifier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts