Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my outlander out for a rip last weekend before I left for holidays at the farm, I went through a couple deep spring run off ponds and was getting good and wet and muddy, as i decided to leave the field i tried to pick up the speed a bit and was met with a high rev and no speed. I tried over and over on the way home to get over 45 km/h but every time i got to that mark it would rev up and i could smell burnt rubber, I'm guessing the belt got wet and there is water in the case but I've never had this problem before now and I've been in plenty of water all winter and spring. A friend of mine says it should be no big deal, take the cover off and silicone it good and thread lock the plug. I'm hoping that's all it is, do you guys have any wisdom to offer in the way of water proofing the belt case or why it started leaking now? Any advice would be great! Thanks guys

·
Registered
423 Posts
So I took my outlander out for a rip last weekend before I left for holidays at the farm, I went through a couple deep spring run off ponds and was getting good and wet and muddy, as i decided to leave the field i tried to pick up the speed a bit and was met with a high rev and no speed. I tried over and over on the way home to get over 45 km/h but every time i got to that mark it would rev up and i could smell burnt rubber, I'm guessing the belt got wet and there is water in the case but I've never had this problem before now and I've been in plenty of water all winter and spring. A friend of mine says it should be no big deal, take the cover off and silicone it good and thread lock the plug. I'm hoping that's all it is, do you guys have any wisdom to offer in the way of water proofing the belt case or why it started leaking now? Any advice would be great! Thanks guys
hey there, sorry for your troubles. Good news is that therez a ton of info on this site on this subject. Let me give you a head start.

The "symptoms" you mention do indicate a wet belt...that's where I would look first too.
If indeed you are getting water inside the cvt case, it can only come via 3 routes, assuming the bike was running. One is the air intake of the case, second is the gasket around the case and the 3rd is where the case meets the gearbox (2), I dont think you can get water in there from the case's exhaust while running.

So you can snorkel to get rid of the first problem, or just avoid goin deep or fast in puddles.

Silicone in the case groove where the gasket is supposed to seal
Silicone between the seals and case at the gearbox area
and finally, think about upgrading to the 13-14screw type case instead of the 7? screw case you currently have

P.S If you find water inside, I suggest a complete clutch service, take it off clean it, relube one way bearing and check the belt for shiny spots in which case replace belt. Lots of info on that on the forum too

hopefully that helps get you started
enjoy

Reactions: CanAmSasquatch

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did buy it snorkelled all ready so I know I'm good there, I'll have to count the screws on the cvt case and I'm gonna re silicone it when I get a chance and I'll be sure to give it a good clutch service too, might be a good time to
Install a clutch kit!

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 06 had the old style when I got it, as soon as the belt cover started to go under water it would get wet. Between the 7 bolt design and the older inner cover was known to warp from the heat (found that out on this site), they are known to let water in, plus the old cover doesn't have a drain plug. I ordered a new cover, inner housing and all new bolts an o-rings, and I snorkeled it at the same time. I've had it up to the handle bars in water on probably 50 different occasions and it still goes great (knock on wood)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked up the updated 13 bolt cover on the can am parts site but it says the cover is no longer available but the back plate and everything else is? Where are guys getting these from?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I looked up the updated 13 bolt cover on the can am parts site but it says the cover is no longer available but the back plate and everything else is? Where are guys getting these from?
Got mine from my dealer. Best phone one of your local dealers and ask them ...they might eve have it in stock. He'll guide you through it e.g you need an additional 6 bolts and a new gasket which also has 13 holes (I keep forgetting if its 13 or 14 ...who cares anyway ...its more and seals better :) )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.