Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently run into a problem with my charging system on my outlander. The battery is charging around 12 volts and it is displaying "low batt" on the guage so I first of all got a new battery, still did not solve the problem, I tested the stator and it is putting out the correct AC volts and is not shorting out. I then bought a new voltage regulator/rectifier because I tested it and the all three diodes inside the VR were bad. I then put the new VR on the bike and ran it for a minute and still was charging at just above 12 volts. I then took the regulator off and tested it and it had burnt out all three diodes just like the stock regulator had. I did not check to see if the new VR was bad before I installed it but I am thinking that something in my wiring harness is killing the VR. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you figure this out yet? My thought would be battery is done; maybe the battery is grounding out all additional voltage. Maybe first VR fried battery and when you replaced the VR your battery was already toast.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but diodes basically prevent current from flowing wrong way, correct? If so then I would get batt checked, load tested at auto parts store( you can do it at home with a helper and your voltage meter) also check your batt voltage at + and - terminals on batt then check it + batt and bike frame, they should be the same. Also look for loose connections and or dirty contacts. Also burnt wire sheathing, maybe continuity check individual wires between VR and batt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts