Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a new 2014 Outlander 500 DPS in the fall of 2014. Finally put 10 hours on the bike, and my dealer wants me to bring it in for the 10 hour service; however they told me it was going to cost $800 and an additional $50 for a new air filter. Is this normally what the dealers charge for the service or am I being ripped off? Is the valve adjustment really necessary? Also what maintenance is recommended if I was going to do the service myself?

·
Registered
570 Posts
http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/can-am-outlander/56364-10-hr-service-necessity-hype.html

This was just talked about, you can find some good read on the link above.

I just bought an Outty 800 earlier this year, I did the 10 hour service myself. I would not pay $800 for the dealer to do it. Is it really needed? I think it's a good idea to change the oil like it says to do for the 10 hour service in the manual. Some say the valves don't really need to be checked at 10 hours, maybe more like 50, or even 100.

Reactions: 33147

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes. You're being ripped off! $800.00 is straight up fraud.
My dealer charges $400.00 and I would never pay that.
I did 10 hr service myself but bought oil & filter from stealership for goodwill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :thumbsmilie: Also I was wondering if the dealer puts some sort of limiter on the throttle? I doubt it, just figured I'd ask because I've read in some posts that a few dealers tend to do this. Should I check for this, and if so, how?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The limiter is a screw, turn it out!

·
Registered
570 Posts
And don't use the gray key!

·
Registered
225 Posts
My dealer told me they don't even check valves on the first service. Service manager told me check them around 500 miles.

·
Registered
932 Posts
There are several helpful threads of how to do your own service. Also Youtube is a good source. If you are handy and have the tools and time, you can do it with just a little help from anyone here that has done their own.

$800 is a rip off. Even $300 is a rip off. I paid less than $150 for my previous grizz and $400 for my current Outy.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Just purchased a new 2014 Outlander 500 DPS in the fall of 2014. Finally put 10 hours on the bike, and my dealer wants me to bring it in for the 10 hour service; however they told me it was going to cost $800 and an additional $50 for a new air filter. Is this normally what the dealers charge for the service or am I being ripped off? Is the valve adjustment really necessary? Also what maintenance is recommended if I was going to do the service myself?
do it yourself. $800 is foolish, find a new dealer! I have 8000kms(5000 miles) on my bike and never changed the air filter yet. I clean/ reoil the outer foam and blow out the paper element, Still looks new.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The plastic removal and reinstall probably contributes to an extra hour or more of shop time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good point awful, a new air filter after just 10 hours?!?!?!? Give me a break! ha

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think an oil change is a must at 10 hours. With a new engine and all those moving parts, you're going to have particles floating around in there. Flush it out and throw in some good Rotella and call her good. A new air filter? Give me a break! Blow out the old one and oil the outside for the foam filter as stated above. I paid $300 to have my '12 done by the dealer, but I'll do it myself with the '14 I just bought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Valve adjustment is very easy and the ten hr service. Your just looking to see what kind of wear the Engine is having. I only paid $400. To have mine done. To honor my warranty that's all I cared about.
As for the valves there is a few awsome videos on YouTube shows you exactly what happens when they adjust the valves.

Sent from Mars

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Good point awful, a new air filter after just 10 hours?!?!?!? Give me a break! ha
You should try riding our local trail system! lol An Air filter doesn't last 6 hrs if you are following and its been dry! Thats the only reason I went to a foam filter, so I could wash it often.

But I'm sure in most areas an air filter goes 50 hrs!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cost me about $230 for my 10 hour and they went through everything and changed my oil, gear case and front and rear diff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts