Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new wheels for my 1000 Max.I ride a lot of rocky terrain two up.Always liked 12" tires on my 800 Max.With the increased power of the 1000 the tire roll isn't much fun.How would the 14" wheels work?For tires it would be Big Horns.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ride will be rougher and you will have less sidewall, making you more prone to flats. I say get you some 12's with a nice 8 ply tire like the Bear Claw HTR, best of both worlds. On my 850 XP I am limited to 14" wheels, if given the choice I would go 12"

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
14's limit your tire selection big time.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Ride will be rougher and you will have less sidewall, making you more prone to flats. I say get you some 12's with a nice 8 ply tire like the Bear Claw HTR, best of both worlds. On my 850 XP I am limited to 14" wheels, if given the choice I would go 12"
Exactly right. Being locked into 14" wheels sucks. Stick with your 12's and a set of Bighorns and you will be a happy man.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Personally I think it looks a lot better to have 14" rims once you get into a 28" or above tire. I have 14" rims and I get way less flats than the rest of the group... no idea why.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same question, I have 1000 xtp outlander with 12 rims and maxis tires bighorn 27, I ride a lot in dunes and trails of Bush, I'm thinking of by 14 rims with tires bighorn 27 too. I would like some tips friends, what do I do?

·
Registered
827 Posts
All depends on your riding style. From what I understand (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), the 14 would be much more advantageous for someone who does more fast paced, smooth trail ridding and likes to look pretty and also for someone running larger tires that would tend to 'roll over' on fast corners. The 12 would be better for rough, rocky terrain that is filled with many threats for flats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes!! Are you correct!!
But This wheels size Can Broke The Quad any form, suapencion or transmition?
Do you know if with This size rims This is possible?
Im ride on dunes and trails dont take rocks

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
I went with 14" wheels when I got the 28" tires, looks way better and I really dont notice any difference in how the bike feels or handles compared to the stock 12's

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes!! Are you correct!!
But This wheels size Can Broke The Quad any form, suapencion or transmition?
Do you know if with This size rims This is possible?
Im ride on dunes and trails dont take rocks

Thanks
I see you're from Brazil and Im having a difficult time understanding what youre trying to ask. I think youre asking if with a 28in tire and 14in rim it is possible to damage the transmission and suspension? The answer to that question is yes. You can do damage to a machine with any size tire/rim combination. It all depends on how you treat your bike. There are many people, like myself, who run oversized tires with little to no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes LousisianaJake, this is my question, but the tires that I will use is 27, and 14 rims.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I've been riding 26.5x14" pitbull rockers. Got 1000 miles on them now. They ride better than the 26x14" bighorns I used to have. I had lots of flats with the bighorns. Not a single issue with the pitbulls riding basically the same trails. If you are going to ride fast, I think the 14" tires are better

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes LousisianaJake, this is my question, but the tires that I will use is 27, and 14 rims.
You shouldn't have any problems with the drivetrain with those unless you plan on jumping and riding it like its invincible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I wear out my bighorns, I'm going 15" rims and BFG KM2s 27.9" tires as I ride on the pavement since we are street legal here in Az.

Bighorns work great on the sand and 28" BH on a 14" rim will do fine on trails and sand. Rock crawling I would stay with 12" rims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey friends!!
Now im buy The renegade 1000 XXC, and in put The ss212 14" with big horn 27" again,
What do you think? Or The best i put The 12"?
Thanks !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used 08 800 max that came with 14's. Wondering how much power/top end im losing turning the bigger wheel. Its supose to have 12's

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It really depends more on the tire size. 30" tires are going to take a lot more to turn than 26". The weight of a 26" on a 14" wheel vs a 26" on a 12" wheel isn't that much different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts