Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new 2014 renegade 800 xxc last week and now im curious about some performance upgrades, whats the first thing most guys do? I was thinking of going with a hmf programmer and slip on but does it really make a noticeable difference power-wise? I wouldnt mind it sounding better too! :th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
WHY didn't you buy the 1,000? The 1,000 would of made the power for cheaper than modding your 800 and then you could still mod the 1000 for more ponies if you needed.

Sorry my rant is over

·
Registered
155 Posts
Maybe the same reason I did? When I was buying, There were no leftover 1000s but there were a few leftover 800s in the area. In the end I paid about $2500 less for a 2013 800r than the 14 1000 and over $4k less than the xxc 1000, neither of which they would move much on. I picked up a mint 700xx with 5 hours on it and about $2k in brand new aftermarket parts with the savings. These motors overpower the chassis anyway, 800 included.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHY didn't you buy the 1,000? The 1,000 would of made the power for cheaper than modding your 800 and then you could still mod the 1000 for more ponies if you needed.

Sorry my rant is over
I didnt want the 1000 and couldnt afford it. Got my 14' for 12,900, i'm really only trying to spice it up a bit haha I want it to sound nice but for the $600+ I want a little extra power to beat my bros outlander 800

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nothing wrong with an 800, lighter, more room to work on(installing cam, BBK) and proven to make power.
Exhaust would be the first mod for sound but first mod to actually feel a power difference would be aftermarket clutches, clutches make you feel like you gained 10rwhp with how much better they work

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks for the info! The quads currently at the dealer getting the first break-in service, I think ill go with the hmf swamp series exhaust and possibly a clutch kit! Would it be a good idea to get the fuel programmer right away with the pipe?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay thanks for the info! The quads currently at the dealer getting the first break-in service, I think ill go with the hmf swamp series exhaust and possibly a clutch kit! Would it be a good idea to get the fuel programmer right away with the pipe?
Yes the pipe and programmer go hand in hand. When you add a pipe you end up leaning the quad out and thats not good. with the programmer you can richen it back up.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
As mentioned a fuel programmer is needed when doing an exhaust upgrade no questions asked there.
As for mentioning clutch kit don't waste money on a Dalton or any other kit as they aren't worth the money but save up for a true aftermarket clutch, they are worth the extra money

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done some more reading up on the exhaust systems and some people say the only thing HMF does is made sound, is that true? Or will it actually make a little difference with the programmer? Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That's not true, there is power to be gained with a HMF system especially when properly tuned with a fuel programmer.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Aftermarket full clutch will give you more added power for the money I would think. Without pissing off the neighbors.... unless that's your thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much louder is the Swamp series HMF compared to stock? I know its loud but will it get annoying on long rides?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Muzzy best especially duals

1 - 16 of 16 Posts