Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to install a snorkel kit and when I placed my hand over the intake the bike never cuts off. Double checked all my fittings and looked for holes in my airbox. Couldno find any holes in airbox but did find signs of dirt and water splatter in the clean chamber of the airbox. Took pictures with my phone and take it to the dealer and service tech says that the bike won't cut off if you block the air intake because of the crank and gas vents that route to airbox. Says there's no leak in the airbox and the dirt must have been sucked into the clean chamber through the air filter even though there's no signs of dirt on the filter. So now it looks like I will be stuck with the labor charge of taking the airbox out for inspection. But if it happens again and they find something I won't have to pay for the labor then since they found the problem and brp can warranty the labor with whatever part is replaced

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Did you RTV your airbox lid? The foam gasket it comes with from the factory is not air/water tight. Could be where your leak is.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Whats RTV?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didn't get around to that yet but was planning on it but the dirt and water are in the back clean chamber not the front chamber where the air filter sits

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Whats RTV?
Sealants : Permatex® Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant

Any type of household silicone will work too and is easier to peel off when you need to check your air filter. Some people just dielectric grease the factory foam gasket but I dont have any experience with how effective that is at creating a water tight seal. Its really a bad design, and I checked the part #, its the same for 2015. Foam is obviously permeable, and BRP making a 'seal' out of it is dumb, especially on a part that is lower than your snorkels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine dies when I cover it...that's my test at the start and end of each ride to confirm my air box doesn't have another hole in it

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I bought a couple of those after you pointed them out. Did you install both at the same time or just one?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I generally like to put my hand on snorkel to check for leaks also but on this model I am skeptical though because the hose going into the airbox is soft and I worry about creating a leak at point of entry. I used a boat load rtv where hose goes into airbox but still makes me nervous I could pull something apart there.
I am leaking water into my clean chamber and not my dirty side. Meaning the leak is after the filter. I think its a screw that is allowing water in I just haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been through all of this on mine. First there is a small horizontal bolt that goes through the frame and rubs a small hole in the middle of the clean side airbox. This bolt is more than likely what's causing your leak on the clean side. Take it out and silicone the hole from the underside. It's a pain in the ass to get to. Secondly I recommend wrapping the exhaust coming out of the front head. Even though can realized this was a problem area and put a thin square patch pf heat tape on the bottom of the airbox, it can still melt a hole. The exhaust is also very close to the belt intake tube and I have seen those melted. Once that's done I had to tighten the clamps on the small boot going from the airbox to throttle body. I then noticed when covering the snorkel it would collapse the tube coming out of the airbox on top that goes to the snorkel riser. I simply replaced the section of factory Jose with pvc and siliconed it into the airbox. Lastly I silconed the airbox lid. Mine will die within 2-3 seconds and hold a tight suction for a minute or more. Not saying you will have to do all of these things but you should definitely check all the spots. I wouldnt drive into deeper water until it killed the machine. It took awhile and a lot of research but it payed off. Best of luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stacked_up thats a good write up ^
I worried about putting my snork extension for belt intake in front of the front head for heat reasons. Im going to pull it all apart and do pretty much the same thing you stated above.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah the exhaust wrap really does help and is a cheap thing to do. Glad I could help. It seemed like it took me forever to figure all those things out lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ya, I am going to order the heat tape and have it delivered to my door step via amazon lol….
Hoping to try and find that screw this weekend and try to go ride on Sunday to test it out. Sucks that I have to take cvt intake snork apart to get to it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah I had to disassemble mine as well but its nice knowing your sealed completely up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts