Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to be here. This is my 1st SxS and other than one problem, I wasn't aware of at the time I purchased it, Im quite pleased with it. We purchased the Defender HP10 Limited primarily because it was available, secondly, after dealing with 100+ degree heat for over a month, thought the AC wouldn't be a bad thing. Its going to be primarily used on my future alpaca farm, since we live on a hill and our future pasture is way up near the top. The handling of this over obsticals is amazing. Ive owned an modified FJ Cruiser before and this would likely hang with it most of the time, in stock configuration. So the bed is great and have put it to use multiple times already. Not sure why Can Am makes you buy the wired remote for a whole $23 off Amazon, to work the winch, outside the cab, but I purchased that already and installed it. Swapped out the wire rope/ roller fairlead to synthetic rope/ aluminum hause, for preference of past use. Will likely get those nice bed sides that allow for taller objects but hoping they give a discount sometime because ouch... they aint cheap LOL

Only issue I have with this is the constant locked rear- I wasn't told about this which makes running it down any paved road, a quick way to wreck gears. Really wished they had made it like the MAX Pro and allowed one of the axles to act like a non powered tag axle, to allow for street use. Other than that- very happy.

This is "Coe" (pic was before I swapped my winch line)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wife owns our first Can Am- "Pinky" - Ryker 900 that was originally yellow. Ive modified this a lot over the short time she's owned it because I like to modify things and it needed a few things.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,570 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice rides (y)

I thought the defender had that turf mode option that allowed you to unlock the rear diff? :unsure:🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard! Nice rides (y)

I thought the defender had that turf mode option that allowed you to unlock the rear diff? :unsure:🤷‍♂️
I thought so too. Only place I found out it doesn't was in the manual. It only switches to 6x6 otherwise its in 4x4 (back 4 wheels are locked all the time). It makes my ZTM look like a saint LOL. Just make large sweeping turns.

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
I think your a little overly concerned about the rear end not being able to be unlocked. Yes it will tear up you lawn if you drive across it and turn, but it will not tear up the gears if you on pavement and turn. Every time I load it up I have to drive on paved road (and make tight turns to line it up with the trailer) and I have never had any issues or heard of anyone who has. Now if your planning on hiway driving only, then maybe over time it could possibley maybe have some effect on transmission gears or differentials, but IMHO it's not something I would be too concerned about, remember the tires are rubber and they will spin and slide on pavement.
Also, I watched several videos when this beast first came out and as I recall they all made mention of the fact that there was no TURF mode for the 6x6 machine.

P.S. A look at my owners manual I did find a couple times where they said that this vehicle should not be used on paved roads, but their reasoning was because it is not equiped with the safety equipment that auto's have and also that it could be prone to roll overs if turned to sharply if traveling fast. And I did find once where they said that the "Four rear wheels were always powered together"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your a little overly concerned about the rear end not being able to be unlocked. Yes it will tear up you lawn if you drive across it and turn, but it will not tear up the gears if you on pavement and turn. Every time I load it up I have to drive on paved road (and make tight turns to line it up with the trailer) and I have never had any issues or heard of anyone who has. Now if your planning on hiway driving only, then maybe over time it could possibley maybe have some effect on transmission gears or differentials, but IMHO it's not something I would be too concerned about, remember the tires are rubber and they will spin and slide on pavement.
Also, I watched several videos when this beast first came out and as I recall they all made mention of the fact that there was no TURF mode for the 6x6 machine.

P.S. A look at my owners manual I did find a couple times where they said that this vehicle should not be used on paved roads, but their reasoning was because it is not equiped with the safety equipment that auto's have and also that it could be prone to roll overs if turned to sharply if traveling fast. And I did find once where they said that the "Four rear wheels were always powered together"
Its good to here from real world experience.

I don't plan on any thing over 30 mph, on any surface. Its more utility for me. If I wanted fast, there were other options.

The issue is this isn't mentioned unless you read the manual. Not something most people do in their lifetimes but I do and that's when it was discovered for me. As for YouTube, after reading my manual, I went online to find reference and honestly found nothing. Maybe I didn't listen for Turf mode versus Locked? Lack of knowing the terminology likely would be the issue for me.
Still pleased with all the great features. Thanks

The good thing is when I looked it up again on Google, my post about it popped up. Im just hoping to inform folks about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts