Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I just changed the rear right side axel, after 2 meters of driving using regular 2*4 I stopped, and then when I tried to drive again it failed, when I am engaging differential or 4*4 everything is working fine. Any idea what happened?

I really need your assistance, looking forward for some remarks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I didn't have any problems before and everything was working smooth. Just after we changed the axel rubber it happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds to ne like you broke something when changing the axle. Did you force it out

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,594 Posts
Welcome to the site.

You'll be able to diagnose this yourself, with a little level-headed thinking and hands-on checks. Obviously, first visually check that the rear driveshaft hasn't slung a u-joint or failed in some other manner. Are the two bolts holding the yokes in, good and tight? Jack the rear end of the bike up, or the whole thing, if possible. Check that the gearbox is spinning the rear driveshaft. If it is, and your diff isn't turning, then the diff is to blame.

If your rear driveshaft isn't being turned by the gearbox, you have an internal failure of the gearbox. These kinds of "unrelated" failures happen all the time. The replacement of the CV axle may or may not have had anything to do with it.

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I really appreciate your assistance, we just lifted all the 4 wheels and checked, the driveshaft is working perfectly, the right axle that we we didn't fix broke down and then the wheel is not turning, that's the reason that it's working when I switch to 4*4, now I have to replace the axle.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,594 Posts
The rear diff on these bikes is locked internally, so even with one broken axle, the other will still move the bike in 2wd.

·
Registered
860 Posts
would almost bet you broke something in the rear diff.. As said above the rear is locked so both axles should be turning...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts