Votes: 18 26.5%
  • DPS issues (other year)

Votes: 4 5.9%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well- I bought my 2011 outty 800 max xt 2 months ago- have 300 miles on the atv so far- and the last 3 trail rides I've been on the "service DPS" light comes on, and the bars pull to the right real hard :mad:

I actually have to force the bars to the left to keep it straight! If I shut the bike off and let it sit for a minimum of 25 minutes, the issue goes away and the service light is off- but sure enough, 20 minutes later... there it is again :mad:

this is not fun when you're 55 miles out in a northern maine trail doing 35-40 down a logging road and the bars start pulling to the right!!!!
It happens whether I'm on a slow tight trail or an open logging road doing 35 mph.

obviously called the dealer- it's going in next week for service.

also- have a friend who bought the same outty- and he is ALSO having the same issue with the DPS service light- although his is not pulling to the right like mine is. :huh:

I did a google search for "can-am outlander DPS issues" and whoa! tons of'em.

I see a recall or at least a TSB in the near future if not already.

I made this a poll so that I can see how many people are having issues- if you are, please vote in the poll under the model year you're having DPS issues with (if the mods feel it should be somewhere else- please move it ;) )

·
Registered
920 Posts
IIRC there has been a recall regarding DPS issues.

BTW, that was one of the reasons, I bought an outty WITHOUT DPS in 2010.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
IIRC there has been a recall regarding DPS issues.

BTW, that was one of the reasons, I bought an outty WITHOUT DPS in 2010.

Cu,
Sven

I'll have to check that out- I wasn't aware of that recall...

despite having the DPS issue- I'd still 100% buy my outty with the DPS if I had to do it over. The benifits faw outweigh the cons.
I was always one of those people who said "who needs power steering on an atv?"

but- honestly- it's really the best feature since the front locking diff. I love it (when it works properly) and can't ever see myself buying another atv without dps- it literally removes 80% of the trail deflection and makes up hill rock gardens childs play. Before dps, my wrists and arms would go numb from my carpal tunnel in less than 10 minutes of riding- but with the dps, I can ride all day and not have a single issue with the cp.

I have confidence that can-am will repair / upgrade this dps issue in no time- and besides that- dps is standard on the xt models and the resale value will be much lower without the dps.

the only dps recall I can find for the 2010 / 11 model years is this one- but it's for another issue- not the one I'm describing above...

2010-2011 Outlander and Renegade ATV models equipped with Dynamic Power Steering (DPS)

Date: November 14th 2011What is the potential problem?
Some vehicles may have been delivered or repaired with a DPS that has cracks on its main shaft. Pieces may detach inside the DPS and may block gears resulting in a sudden limitation of the vehicle steering range. In some situation, the operator could loose control of the vehicle which could result in serious injuries or even death.
Which models are involved?ModelModel YearOutlander2010 – 2011DPS equippedRenegade2010 – 2011DPS equipped
What should you do if you own this model?
Immediately stop using your vehicle, contact an authorized BRP Can-Am ATV dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected and repaired if needed. This work will be performed at no charge to you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There should also be a box to check "no DPS issues at all" that would be one for me, 4,000km with nothing but regular service (2010 800 XT-P)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There should also be a box to check "no DPS issues at all" that would be one for me, 4,000km with nothing but regular service (2010 800 XT-P)
only interested in how many are having issues, which is the point of the poll.

Not interested in how many people are not having issues, that's a moot point- there would be multiple thousands of people who don't have issues, and people with no dps also saying they don't have issues... :th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If you are taking a poll, you need one that says 'NO PROBLEMS WITH MY DPS' or it's not a real poll.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you are taking a poll, you need one that says 'NO PROBLEMS WITH MY DPS' or it's not a real poll.

see the above post-

that's not what the poll is asking.

the poll is asking about "issues" with the dps- not "non-issues" with the dps.

there's no purpose to posting a poll option for how many people have had no issues with their dps-

under that premise, why not just post a poll for every "non-issue" component on the atv???

when pepsi posts a poll on how many people drink pepsi vs coke... they don't list every soda option. they simply want to know how many people drink pepsi, or coke.

likewise with this poll, I just want to know who's having dps issues and on what model year. Knowing how many are not having issues is not the data I'm looking for.
If you want to know how many people are "NOT" having dps issues, post a poll.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
LOL I still think it's worth having an option, it's free and might get more attention.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well- there are 2 DPS recalls for the 2010 / 2011 DPS-

one for a shaft replacement and the other for a bad ground that causes the dps to pull to one side.

The dealer called yesterday and said I have a defective dps motor and it needs to be replaced- 100% warranty.

I guess they used a multimeter to determine that the dps motor was bad.

said should have it back by friday...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Beergut
add my 2012 outlander to your list. $1338 for a new power steering unit. Glad it was covered under warranty. And this ATV has been babied, only 250 miles on the odometer, from easy roads and graded trails. This ATV doesn't do the tough trails.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Check DPS message came on Saturday when I was mowing trails. I haven't had a chance to call a dealer about it yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well- called the dealer today because I didn't hear back from them on the 27th...

they said they are still waiting for the dps motor from the factory :eek:

will be 3 weeks this thursday.

the service dept manager feels bad- said he doesn't understand what the hold up is.

I'm wondering how backed up can-am must be with failing dps motors if it's taking over 3 weeks to send a flipping dps motor a few states over for a warranty issue-

how long before they issue a 3rd dps recall for the 2010 / 2011 dps motors- this time for overheating......? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just dropped mine off at the dealer this past Friday for DPS overheating. They told me it was because I had installed after market wheels and tires. Said if I would put the factory tires back on the ATV the problem would go away!?? Anybody heard this from their dealer??

·
Registered
7 Posts
And this was for my first service also...only have 10.5 hours on the bike!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just dropped mine off at the dealer this past Friday for DPS overheating. They told me it was because I had installed after market wheels and tires. Said if I would put the factory tires back on the ATV the problem would go away!?? Anybody heard this from their dealer??
It's total BS- that dealer is feeding you a line, and you should call him out on it! print up this thread with the poll results and show'em.

The DPS motor on the outty xt with stock 26" tires is no different than the dps motor on the outty XMR with stock 30" silverbacks!

Also- All my dps overheating issues hapened to mine well before I put on the 30" silverbacks... AND my dps would overheat even if just riding on easy straight flat logging roads- My DPS did this from day one from the dealer-

the tires made no difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Beergut......I'm gonna see if I can find another dealer in the area and carry it to. They were a pain in the a$$ to deal with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well- after I sent out those emails on sunday morning to every can-am employee I could find online, I finally got a call back from can-am.
gave me a case #. They said they sent to dps parts to the dealer and I would have my new outlander back in two days- and if I didn't, call them back.

well- dealer got the dps parts last week and I picked up my outty last thursday- exactly 4 weeks after dropping it off.

runs good, dps seems to be going good- I'm happy again :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had my 11 start showing the issue this year, thought the worst. searched the forums and I did not find "tons" of issues. actually found little for what I thought might be out there. but one fella had the note in there to take off, clean and reinstall your battery terminal's. So I did, and whalla! fixed since. easy, took ten minutes at home.
Before you give yourself a headache, try it out. It MAY work. YOU, may have an actual failure. I am not saying that this is the end all be all. dont want the thread sidetracked with counter bashing my idea that I plagerized.

have a good day

1 - 20 of 50 Posts