Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the forums. I have a 2003 Outlander 400 that was given to me. I had to replace all of the fuel lines as it had been sitting for many years I also cleaned the fuel tank and I cleaned the carb many times and I put a brand new side diagram. The intake boot looks good and I think the fuel pump is good bc it idles and runs good to about 1/2 throttle and then sputters. Its got a brand new air filter too. I can't figure it out. I'm pretty sure it is running lean bc if you give it a little choke it smooths out, and the plug is dry. But all the jets are clean. And the needle moves up and down as it is supposed too.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
Did you remove and clean the screen under the float?

Reactions: Rocket09

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember there being a screen under the float so I looked at the service manual and I did not see one. I also put the carb in my ultra-sonic parts cleaner so even if there was one it would have got cleaned out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also found an interesting symptom. If you keep holding the throttle wide open it feels like its on a rev limiter and stay at 20 mph but if you keep holding it will kinda smooth out and go to 40 mph. But that's still not the top speed. So I tried unplugging the rectifier that did not do anything so I plugged it back in.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
If you haven't found this video yet, it's worth a watch.

The screen is pictured at the 3:35 mark. It's included as part of assembly/item 32 on the attached parts page grab. The screen itself is the little dome looking thing directly under the number 54.

I doubt it could be cleaned even via ultrasonic methods, but it will absolutely restrict fuel flow into your bowl. Just doing it's job, but it's easily overlooked and needs to be specifically addressed.

Installing a clear fuel filter inline to the inlet of your carburetor would be an easy way to check for fuel flow out of the fuel pump, if you haven't done that already.

Once you've verified the fuel pump is doing its job, and fuel is actually making it to the jets in your carb, you'd know whether or not further repair/parts are needed.

Attachments

Reactions: Rocket09

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhhhhhhhh I seee Yes I did miss it I need to go back and clean that. But I did install a filter but I took it off cause I thought that might be the problem I will put it back on and clean that screen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I cleaned the strainer and It is still doing it. It was a little dirty not really enough to restrict fuel flow though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But I did notes something. I blew air from my mouth through the top hose going to the top of the carb with the diagram in it and I could feel air coming through the slide I don't know if its supposted to do that the diagram is in good shape and the needle moves up and down. Just something I noted.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
Ok so you still have some issues within the carb itself, at least now you've pretty well nailed that down. Not really unexpected, tho, right? Considering how long it sat. Check jungleman's thread for this carb work, should steer you in the right direction to figuring out yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yess I figured it out. This weekend I took the carb completely apart when I did I lost the little spring on the needle. I did not know there was one in there at the time so I put it back together. When I was looking on the parts diagram I saw the spring. So I went outside where I rebuilt the carb and luckly found the spring on the ground. I put I back In and cleaned the jet one last time and its running like a champ now.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
Good deal!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But I have another problem A little while ago I put a new rectifier on it bc It was not charging the battery. I ordered a 20 dollar one from ebay. It was working when I was done. But I broke the connector that hooks up to it. I got it to plug up and work for the time being. I think from riding the connector broke to the point it wont conduct anymore. Or the cheap rectifier blew up idk yet. The new one came with a new connector but I don't know how to install a wire connector.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
Research should help you figure it out- the early 400's had faulty rectifiers, to the point of BRP issuing a recall to replace them. There were a couple of different approaches they took: one was to relocate a new dual-plug rectifier back by the battery and harness it in.

I think towards the end they fixed the issue within the original single-plug up by the steering stem and just replaced those. Google search, plenty of info out there on these.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you remove and clean the screen under the float?
The advice on the " Clean the screen under the float" is a very valid question to your question. I cleaned my Bombardier 400 carb. many times and had the same fuel problem Then I decided to go at it again. There is a very small smaller then a pea size fuel feed filter Above the float in the housing and you have to unscrew a couple of needle fittings and you will find it. I took me 4 rebuilds but it's their. pull the float first .. Hope you find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts