Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I've got a 2004 Outlander that was having some electrical problems with the voltage regulator. Here's a link to my previous post. http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/can-am-outlander/46823-2004-outlander-400-has-no-electrical-power-after-fail-indicator-speedo.html

I've since replaced the voltage regulator and everything is working as it should, except my speedometer.

With the old voltage regulator I was blowing the main 20A fuse in the front of the ATV. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. The next time I put a new fuse in it, the fuse did NOT blow but the speedometer would not light up. The ATV started with no problems but there was just no speedometer displays. I think the speedometer may have been fried when the old voltage regulator was bad.

All the fuses are good. I've checked the power going to the speedometer and there are 12vdc at the plug in at the back of the speedometer, but there is no display. The needle does not move when the ATV is in motion to indicate mph and none of the lights to include gear selection or oil pressure, engine temperature or even backlight work.

After all my troubleshooting and since there is power to the speedometer, I have come to the conclusion the speedometer needs to be replaced.

I've been searching hi and lo for a new/used speedometer for a 2004. I found new ones at various parts stores priced around $250. I also found a new 2005 Speedo for $90.

My big question is; will a 2005 speedo work on a 2004? There are 6 indicator lights on a 2004 speedo and 8 indicator lights on a 2005.

Here's a 2004 Speedo

and a pic of the 2005

Here's a link of where to I found the 2005 model.

Speedometer, Bombardier

I found a copy of the 2004 Owners Manual online here:

7)Speedometer for Bombardier ATV - Owners Manual

But I don't have access to a 2005 repair or owners manual so I'm not sure what the additional 2 lights on the 2005 are used for. If anyone has access to a repair manual or knows what the lights are used for please let me know.

When cross referencing the speedometers

the 2005 has a Mfr P/N: 710000761 / 710000805 EU models

the 2004 has a Mfr P/N: 710000623 / 710000694

According to Can-Am Parts & Accessories! ATV, Quad Parts The Speedometers for both 2004 and 2005 are superseded by P/N: 715900038

Even if the old part numbers are different but superseded by the same part number, does that mean the old part numbers are compatible with each other.

I guess the big question is; will the 2005 speedometer listed on the website above P/N 710000761 for $89.95 fit the 2004? If so, it would save me over $100. I guess I can always order it and just pay the restocking fee and shipping if it doesn't work.

Does anyone else have a 2005 owner or repair manual that i can get a copy of or at least a description of the indicators on the 2005 speedometer? Or know if the 2005 speedo will work on the 2005?

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTT...

Anyone have a 2005 Outlander that can tell me what the lights on the speedo display?

How about a 2005 owners/repair manual?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2004 and 2005 are the same unit. I have a 05 and only the top 3 on each side light up.
Thanks for the info. Can you confirm the lights on your 2005 are the same lights in the same position as the 2004. By looking at the pictures of the two it doesn't look like the 4WD indication or the Park Position indicator lamp are the same or in the same place or the same light.

Thanks again for your reply. :beer:

·
Registered
304 Posts
correction, 04 is a different part number than 05
2004 #710000285
2005 #710000805
my 05 only has 6 lights on guage, not what is pictured above.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just found out when looking at the part number I have listed above for the 2005 Speedometer it is for the European model.

I know this may be asking too much but does anyone know what the difference is between the US and European model is or could be. Both models display MPH and KMH Looking at the speedometer displayed it looks like there are lights for "blinker" "brights" and an "A" for something.

I'm calling them tomorrow to ensure they'll take it back before I go and order it, just in case it isn't compatible with my current wire harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have a European 2005 Outlander or a repair manual that can tell me what the different indicator lights on the speedo are used for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever do the swap with the 05 speedometer? Mine is doing the same thing and I see that the 05 speedo is still available for $89.95.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, I need a speedo for 2004 outlander max xt,bought new in Arizona. Doesn't matter to me if in mph or kph.Its the temperature sensor light I am concerned about.rvw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts