Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 3000 Miles now on this great little red wonder bike, 2006 Can Am Outlander 400. I have no idea how to tell if it is the XT or not. It has had its share of dents and scrapes. We use it to plow our ice skating pond and driveway in the winter and to get added down pressure for the plow we often put a kid on the front while plowing using their legs to push down on the plow. The front shocks are shot. They are clicking when going up and down and sometimes sticking mid position. There is a guy skilled in rebuilding shocks for snowmobiles, ATVs, Dirt Bikes etc. I'm sure he can rebuild them for me. I don't know his cost but I'm guessing $80-100 for a pair. At that rate, should I just buy new and save the hassle and down time of delivery and pickup from this guy's shop?

What is a good shock brand? I don't do much off roading, no purposeful mudding, just utility work around the house, and kids do some trails in the woods at low speeds. No rock crawling, but do hope to continue plowing the drive if this ATV can go the distance till next winter!

SO help me do some research on brand and cost and then tell me if front and back are the same shocks. I'm going to replace all 4 I believe based on miles and use.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The fronts are struts , they're not re buildable.
I've heard a Scramblers will bolt up but I've never seen it done .

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've read where many 400 owners used Grizzly 600? or 660? front struts, in place of the original 400's. They're stiffer/stouter/whatever ya wanna call it, and plenty cheap, find 'em on eBay used and in good condition. Might be something to research, OP.

There's not a whole lot of aftermarket support for suspension on these bikes, that I've found. Fronts are different than the rears, but I don't see/read many issues at all with the rears, it's almost always the fronts that sag- mine do.

The XT gave you front and rear bumpers, factory winch, hand guards, maybe some shiny aluminum rims.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have front bumper but not rear bumper, I have no winch and I do have hand guards. Some of these may have been added later. I'm sure it never had a winch installed.

I would like to research Grizzly 600 shocks. I can get some front shocks from a 2005 which is of unknown miles and condition on ebay. I kind feel it could be a gamble on a 2005 bike that these could be half worn out too. I can buy the inner shock part OEM but not sure how to load it into the strut on my own. If I can get new grizzly for front I may go that route. I'll research.

Way to test rears? just how well they push the back end up or rebound?
Clearly my front are shot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If it never had a winch, it's unlikely it was a factory XT. Not a big deal, as those goodies were all able to be upfitted, like yours with the front bumper and hand guards.

Yeah the rears, I just don't have any recollection of those giving any problems, but sure, your test should confirm what shape yours are in. They should, obviously, hold the rear end up without sagging, and be fairly hard to compress, and then rebound smoothly/quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts