Can-Am ATV Forum banner

2006 Outlander 400 problem

920 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jodycotter1
Hey guys new to the site. I have a 2006 outlander 400. I was pulling some wood out of the bush the quad was running good until I was done and went to shut it off and it would not shut off had to disconnect the battery to shut off not sure what is going on. As soon as I hook the battery back up doesn't matter what position the key is in the bike turns over and will start. Has anyone heard of something like this happening

Jody
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Welcome to the site, Jody.

Have you checked all the relays and fuses in the main box? This sounds like your main relay has stuck on, not breaking power flow when the key is switched off.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site, Jody.

Have you checked all the relays and fuses in the main box? This sounds like your main relay has stuck on, not breaking power flow when the key is switched off.
The fuses are good I did check them is there more than one relay. I know there is one on the left side by the battery I will take that one off tonight and check to see if it is still good and thanks for the reply

· Registered
2005 Outlander 330 HO Upgraded To A 400
138 Posts
Faulty key switch?

Maybe try disconnecting the key switch from the main harness while it's running to see if it shuts off?

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
the bike shouldn't need the battery to keep running should it?
Well, yes, and no. Some form of battery needs to be there, to complete/close the electrical circuit, even if it's stone dead or has a bad cell or whatever. If there's nothing between the pos and neg cables, the circuit is broken, and the bike dies.

had to disconnect the battery to shut off

· Registered
133 Posts
Well, yes, and no. Some form of battery needs to be there, to complete/close the electrical circuit, even if it's stone dead or has a bad cell or whatever. If there's nothing between the pos and neg cables, the circuit is broken, and the bike dies.
OK, was wondering. When I put mine away this fall I had taken the battery out of it and needed to move it a few feet. Just to try it I gave the recoil a pull and sounded like it almost started. Didn't give it a second pull, just pushed it where I wanted it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts