Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have acquired a 2006 Outlander 400 XT in non-running condition. It was parked years ago for an overheating issue and never fixed. Thus now I am messing with it.

To date I have done an engine oil/trans change, oil filter, front and rear differential, coil pack, spark plug, radiator removal for cleaning, tested the fan by jumping to battery and replaced the battery. I started the unit for the first time tonight and after some cranking it fired and ran. Turned off and confirmed the oil is up to level.

I cant get the fan to kick on at all and I am also having issues with the guage cluster. I tried to disconnect the temp sensor located on the head as I saw in old threads this will force the fan.

Also worried about the cluster as I assume I have no way to tell of it really is overheating. Any help is much appreciated. This unit will be plowing my driveway.

·
Registered
Outlander 1000 XMR Outlander 650 XMR
156 Posts
I was able to jumper the connection points at the relay to verify my fan worked, but that’s on a Gen2 650. Not sure if it would work on an older 400, but it’s worth a shot. I’ll see if I can find a wiring diagram for it which will be the tell tale.

D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, there you go... straight from the service manual. Putting a jumper between the 2 points shown below should turn the fan on when the bike is powered on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There’s info in the service manual on how to troubleshoot your cluster too...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I will have to obtain these manuals. More testing to come today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you able to download them from the link I posted above?
I am in the process now. Thank you! When I accessed earlier I was on a mobile device. Thank you, the manuals I have are operators and engine only. I cant seem to find the fuse panel on this rig. Hopefully the download will point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big_D. Much appreciated for the manuals, On my 400 there isn't a relay panel, the fan is actually controlled via the FAS which is the sensor right in the radiator. First test is to jump the pigtail, if the fan doesn't turn on (which I suspect it will) it says to replace the fan. When I bench tested the fan it did work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, jumped the pigtail and the fan kicked on as I figured. Removed the FAS and did some resistance tests, all I got was 1 no matter the temperature (dipped into boiling water while trying to read it and remained 1).

Next step, purchase new FAS.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,359 Posts
Cool! Love stories like this, lol

The cooling system, well, electrical, at least, on these bikes, is pretty basic/simple. The coolant temp switch in the cylinder head energizes the circuit the FAS and fan reside on, when temp dictates. Then when the FAS closes, the fan is powered on. That allows for the fan to continue running even after the bike is shut off.

I had to replace the FAS on mine as well as later down the road the switch in the head, too.

files.brptuning.ru - /Bombardier/Manuals/ATV/ <-- was that the link you posted, @Big_D ?

Reactions: Mjmck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to obtain an OEM FAS and oil pressure sensor (as the low oil pressure light is illuminated). Really thinking I want to replace the CTS too just for the heck of it but that is darn near $200 in just stinkin' sensors!

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,359 Posts
There are cheap FAS's in the aftermarket, ~$20 iirc, but yeah I never could locate anything cheaper than the OEM CTS, it was pricey....

Can you hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge just to confirm the light? I'm curious if it's actually got a low pressure issue, or in fact it's a false alarm in the cluster, or perhaps the sender itself is caked over or something

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not to keen on the aftermarket junk out there so will most likely stick to OEM unfortunately enduring the cost. I will have to go out and grab a mechanical gauge. Assuming a T-fitting can be installed to keep the OEM OPS, or just temporarily remove the OPS. What pressure should this unit see?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,359 Posts
What pressure should this unit see
That's a good question, I don't know the number off the top of my head but I'd imagine the shop manual has it. I mean I'd have to think you'd want 40-ish/maybe more? If you're in the single digits/low teens, then yeah you'd have to believe the dummy light is legit

·
Registered
697 Posts
Most small engines as long as you are above 10psi at idle you are fine. Here is oil pressure for 06 400.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
That picture came out awful but it is 10 psi at idle minimum, 80 maximum and at 6000 rpm 51 min, 102 max.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all.

I picked up a OEM FAS Switch and OPS from my local dealer. Will install tomorrow and report back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts