Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have two outlander 400 ATVs that take the same voltage regulator. The 2007 is an XT and 2006 is a STD. My voltage regulator is gone on the 2007 Outlander 400 XT and I cannot find a replacement. I have tried to order an OEM replacement part #703500717 and it has been discontinued. I was told by the 5th dealer to call BRP. They said it has been discontinued because the machine is over 10 years old and offered little support. The voltage regulator on both of these machines is a small box that has six yellow wires that go to a connector. There is a red and brown wire connected to it too. I believe the red is hot and the brown is ground. From what I can tell the discontinued replacement part was suppose to contain a new wiring harness adapter so that you could connect a two plug voltage regulator that is found on the 2008 Outlanders. However, it is discontinued along with the voltage regulator. I can not find any aftermarket voltage regulators that are supposed to fit.

Does anyone know of a source of a wiring harness or combination harness voltage regulator that will work?

My dealer ordered a voltage regulator from WPS that was supposed to work. It is the same that is on the 2008 containing the two plugs. There is no wiring harness to connect the regulator.

At this point, I have a ATV that is junk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanpeter

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do a search on this forum, I remember reading about this quite some time ago ( 2 to 5 ? yrs), & I think they said you could use the 2 plug VR on the older machines. All I really remember is that there was a lot of talk about the old & new style VR. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,241 Posts

Just for the sake of getting away from the part number and focusing on the application- there's really only 2 VR's for you- either the OE-style single plug, or the updated two-plug version. Looks like both of those are available online? Check the links see if that helps

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for your reply Woodchopper. I read those posts and I am unsure how they apply to the 2006 and 2007 VR. I have included a picture of the voltage regulator on my 2007. The voltage regulator is the black plastic box with the yellow (6), brown (1) and red (1) wires coming from it. The yellow wires go to the flat 6 pin connector near the top left of the photo. I found in my research that BRP made an adapter that fit into the 6 pin connector with a Y in it to connect to the two plug VR. The new VR for this was the one used in the 2008 models. This is not longer available from I can tell. I have looked at the 2005 and 2004 and they are very simple and there are adapters available. I have not found one yet that said it would fit a 2006 or 2007. I talked to the dealer again today. They think they may have found one of these OEMs in Las Vegas. I will know in two days if it will fit. Thanks again.
Kevin

·
Registered
797 Posts
I actually just had my vr shit out on my 04 400. The pic of yours looks different then mine but the updated part # is 710 001 103. And you will need the 2 to 1 adapter. Again this is for a 04 so I would check first. Not sure how your dealer can't find one, I called local dealer and they have it in stock for $160. But I found used one on eBay for 30 bucks luckily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem...when i find the part i need it says discontinued. I have talked to multiple dealerships and other company's and they all say discontinued. Has anyone wired up a different one? I'm lost....
20191101_175529_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone, I decided to post this for others.

I did figure it out. With the help of Rick's Motorsports Electrics, I was able to order all the electrical parts from them (Rick's Motorsports Electrics) and Waytekwire.com. I was then able to solder a connecter that allowed my 2007 to be upgraded to a 2008 voltage regulator. It was rather expensive, but my ATV is not a piece of junk anymore. Part of the reason is is expensive was because I could not just order just 1 connector, 6 pins, and 6 seals. I had to order 10 connectors, 50 pins, and 100 seals. Now that I have all the parts, I am going to make another one for my 2006 Outlander 400 too. My dealer has suggested a make a few extra to sell too. I am not sure I want to get that involved. I will post Rick's MotorSports reply to me below. I have found the connectors on amazon for a cheaper price. It was a very frustrating experience for me and I am sure it is frustrating for you too.

Take care,

Sanpeter

Email reply from Rick's Motorsports Electric.
Good morning,

Here is what we came up with to help you. First and most importantly please note that my guys will not be able to tell you how to wire this to your bike harness, the wiring going into that 6 pin connector is all the same color, you would have to determine how to connect it.

We can sell you the opposite end connectors for our part # 10-420, it would be 11-115 and cost $22.95 plus the shipping. We will include some wire too.

As for that 6 pin connector we do not have it but we did find where you can order it. If you go to waytekwire.com you would need part# 12010975, part# 12124582 and Part# 15324982. This is the connector, pins and seal that is shown in the picture you sent over.

I hope this is helpful to you.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,241 Posts
I've never even seen those 2 designs pictured- why aren't there any "heatsinks" fins utilized? The thing needs to cool off somehow.....

Still- it looks like that single plug on the OE harness side is for the 6-pin half of this adapter:

And then you'd just grab any of the "newer/updated" dual-plug VR for the 400's, as shown/found everywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks you Sanpeter, there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
20191106_123910_resized.jpg

Bombadierbomb, its not the same plug and will not attach to our harness, It may look like it works but does not...to different styles.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,241 Posts
Ahhh, that is a horse of a different color

Well WTF, BRP?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes! I followed Sanpeter's directions and got it installed. He did all of the research and was nice enough to share it, it's in and charging with no problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have made several of these now. I have an 06 and an 07 that have the same VR. The 07 is the one that went bad. I want to keep one on hand when the 06 VR goes bad. The 07 that was updated to the 08 VR using the wiring harness is still running strong and has not fried anymore batteries.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got one to sell?? I have had zero luck trying to get to the bottom of this same issue
I have made several of these now. I have an 06 and an 07 that have the same VR. The 07 is the one that went bad. I want to keep one on hand when the 06 VR goes bad. The 07 that was updated to the 08 VR using the wiring harness is still running strong and has not fried anymore batteries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In a few days I will have a few more made. I had to get more connectors and they came today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a few days I will have a few more made. I had to get more connectors and they came today.
Im interesting in buying one. Is there a way to contact you? I have been looking for weeks and no luck in finding one. Hope you can get back to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im interesting in buying one. Is there a way to contact you? I have been looking for weeks and no luck in finding one. Hope you can get back to me. Thanks!
Yes, I have one made. Reply on a private post and we can exchange emails.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I would like to purchase
Hi Sanpeter,
If you have anymore of these left or would be willing to make more I would like to buy one or two from you. My email is [email protected]
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts