Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello,
I have a proble with my Can-Am too. It is 400 Outlander 2007 and it's just alike in the picture attached (it's copied from the earlier messages from this forum). I have the same problem with my Can-Am's voltage regulator. If I understood right, you've @Sanpeter made some of those and sold it? Got any to sell?
Thanks!
Regards, Mika

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have made several of these now. I have an 06 and an 07 that have the same VR. The 07 is the one that went bad. I want to keep one on hand when the 06 VR goes bad. The 07 that was updated to the 08 VR using the wiring harness is still running strong and has not fried anymore batteries.
Would you mind posting a picture of the finished connector and and maybe a schematic? Also you mention that you found the connector on Amazon, Could you post the link? This is an extremely frustrating problem. I have my 06 in the shop and they told me to come pick it up because they can't fix it.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Would you mind posting a picture of the finished connector and and maybe a schematic? Also you mention that you found the connector on Amazon, Could you post the link? This is an extremely frustrating problem. I have my 06 in the shop and they told me to come pick it up because they can't fix it.
Thanks
Hi Beastly,

I understand the frustration. I'll post a picture of the harness below. The link for amazon is
Amazon.com: Universal Regulator Rectifier Connectors Kit For Sea-Doo Can-Am Ducati Yamaha BMW Ski-Doo Kawasaki Polaris Triumph OEM Repl. # 710000261 4012941 31600-HP0-A01 21066-0022 21066-0008 1D7-81960-00-00: Automotive
I have tried several of them. The one that I like is sold on Amazon by RMSTATOR SKU# 14016.

There is no schematic that I know of. Can Am used to make these adapters to upgrade to a 2008 VR and stopped after 10 years. I have included a parts list I found that you will need. You can get all these parts from your Can Am dealer, Partzilla, or Rocky Mountain ATV and you can wire it yourself if you want to. It is not that hard. I can sell you P4 from the parts list. The picture is below. Or you can make it. Then purchase P1, P2, P3 (there are a few aftermarket ones: 10-420 from Ricks Motorsports Electric), P5 and P6. The bolts and the nuts are nothing special either (they are metric). They could be picked up at any store. The nuts replace the ones you remove because they are lock nuts.

Making the harness will be the hardest. Basically, you connect A&B (six wire plug) to the one wire on the grey plug, and C&D (six wire plug) to the middle, and E&F to the outside wire on the grey plug. The hot and the ground are attached to the black plug as shown in the picture below.

I have three adapters made right now. Let me know if you want to purchase one of them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought one of the harnesses a couple months ago that sanpeter makes and he does a really great job making them. I made an L bracket for mounting. Got my 06 400 charging and going again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Beastly,

I understand the frustration. I'll post a picture of the harness below. The link for amazon is
Amazon.com: Universal Regulator Rectifier Connectors Kit For Sea-Doo Can-Am Ducati Yamaha BMW Ski-Doo Kawasaki Polaris Triumph OEM Repl. # 710000261 4012941 31600-HP0-A01 21066-0022 21066-0008 1D7-81960-00-00: Automotive
I have tried several of them. The one that I like is sold on Amazon by RMSTATOR SKU# 14016.

There is no schematic that I know of. Can Am used to make these adapters to upgrade to a 2008 VR and stopped after 10 years. I have included a parts list I found that you will need. You can get all these parts from your Can Am dealer, Partzilla, or Rocky Mountain ATV and you can wire it yourself if you want to. It is not that hard. I can sell you P4 from the parts list. The picture is below. Or you can make it. Then purchase P1, P2, P3 (there are a few aftermarket ones: 10-420 from Ricks Motorsports Electric), P5 and P6. The bolts and the nuts are nothing special either (they are metric). They could be picked up at any store. The nuts replace the ones you remove because they are lock nuts.

Making the harness will be the hardest. Basically, you connect A&B (six wire plug) to the one wire on the grey plug, and C&D (six wire plug) to the middle, and E&F to the outside wire on the grey plug. The hot and the ground are attached to the black plug as shown in the picture below.

I have three adapters made right now. Let me know if you want to purchase one of them.

View attachment 99324

View attachment 99325
Thanks for all of the information and for doing all of the leg work to fix this problem. I would like to buy the P4 from you. This will get me up and running. Thanks agin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I bought one of the harnesses a couple months ago that sanpeter makes and he does a really great job making them. I made an L bracket for mounting. Got my 06 400 charging and going again.
Thanks very much for the applaud. I welcome any feedback to make them better. I have incorporated a few suggestions already.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2007 400 XT and I just recently started having issues where I'm having trouble with the battery not being able to crank it over after running it for a while and then shutting it off. I've had it on a tender and I just checked it, the battery is only a year old and with a battery load tester it passes with flying colors, when I start it up it reads just under 13 volts when running even when revving it up. I have the actual OEM factory service manual for the quad and it's saying the charging voltage should be between 14.6 and 15.6 volts at 4000 rpms so I know somethings wrong but to test the manual is talking about using special Bombardier harness tools that no one would ever actually possess. My question is, how can I narrow down that it is the voltage regulator and not the stator/magneto? And if that's the case, Sanpeter do you have more of those wiring adapters because I would need to upgrade from the original flat style VR to the newer 2 plug style.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Jester- it's pretty safe to say, if you've got ANY system voltage at all, that the stator is generating it, so that tells me it's fine, and the issue is within the VR, just like so many other 400s. I can't hardly think of any stator issues I've heard of out of the single-poppers, but VR issues? There's a LOT, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Jester, I am still making them. Reply to my email listed above if you need one of them. My VR was putting out 19 Volts and frying my battery. It was intermittent too. It took several months and two batteries to diagnose it because most of the time it would put out the 14 volts.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts